Eos 6d Owners Thread!

Any one this experience? I always leave my cameras on auto white balance. My 6d is usually a long way out using the auto setting. For example today it used a colour temperature setting of 4400 but it was daylight and using the white balance tool in ACR it should have been 5500. It is easily corrected in ACR but it is disappointing for such a good camera. I also feel the jpegs are significantly over saturated. As I shoot in raw and jpeg this again is not insurmountable.

Anyone have similar experiences,?
Daylight exposure is generally spot-on with my 6D. Sometimes AWB struggles under artificial lighting, but I have not seen any issues whatsoever with natrual light. Perhaps try a full system reset, just incase you have changed some setting by mistake.

Daylight exposure is generally spot-on with my 6D. Sometimes AWB struggles under artificial lighting, but I have not seen any issues whatsoever with natrual light. Perhaps try a full system reset, just incase you have changed some setting by mistake.

Same here spot on in bright conditions. Of course dance floors and the like it does struggle a bit but because of the rapidly changing light conditions. It's really fine until you get to ISO 10k+ and that really depends on actually how dark it is and what lens your using. 50mm 1.4 can go pretty dark before you have any issues...

Danny

I got my 6D on Friday evening and I've been really impressed so far. I moved from a 60D and there isn't much to learn as must of the buttons are in the same place or similar. I've been using the 24-70 and 70-200 and after using them on the crop for the last six months was amazed how wide 24mm was again but didn't really miss it much on the long end last night at least. Bokeh is really smooth.

I was at soap box racing last night and was pleasantly surprised how accurate the auto focus points were in good light and the images required very little work in pp. Here are some photographs so far:

Please excuse the watermark.

Really impressed with full frame and the 6D so far.

Thanks

Stevie

Andy, the shot looking through the shutters is great. (y)

@Stevie - did you use any of the outer focus points? I'm not confident enough in their ability to use them. I find myself using just the centre point almost all the time.

Any one this experience? I always leave my cameras on auto white balance. My 6d is usually a long way out using the auto setting. For example today it used a colour temperature setting of 4400 but it was daylight and using the white balance tool in ACR it should have been 5500. It is easily corrected in ACR but it is disappointing for such a good camera. I also feel the jpegs are significantly over saturated. As I shoot in raw and jpeg this again is not insurmountable.

Anyone have similar experiences,?

My 6D is my primary camera for shooting live music shows right now and I can also confirm that its AWB is pretty wacky compared to other bodies I've used. I know that gig lighting can confuse even the best, but even in small venues where the lighting is static, I find it amusing to compare what I see on the LCD compared to what I see through the viewfinder. Sometimes it's not even remotely close.

I said I'd post a few wedding pics taken on the 6D a few weeks back but never got chance... however as promised here's a few from a wedding and also a pre-wed shoot. It's my 2nd body with the 5D MK III being my main one, so please bare in mind these are mainly candids. All but the pre-wed shoot shot were taken with the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8

I think these images are pretty special and so different from the norm. Have to say I like your style. (y) (y)

Hoping to be picking up a 6D in the next few weeks to replace my ageing 450D, how do you find the battery life? Is the genuine battery worth the £50 for a second one? I used 7Dayshop batteries as spares in the 450D..

I'm still torn on what lens to get for my 6D....a Tamron 24-70, a canon 24-70mkii or save for the 24-70mkiii (is it really worth the extra mullar?)

Any advise - mostly used for weddings.

cheers

Dan

Does a Canon 24-70mkIII even exist? I've used both the Tamron & the Canon 24-70 (mkI) on my 6D and I wouldn't trade the Canon for the Tamron for any amount of money. The basic problem in my opinion is AF speed and accuracy, as it almost always is with 3rd party lenses. The Tamron is pretty damn sharp and would be a better bargain if you don't mind missing AF now and then or having it hunt. I shoot gigs, and like weddings, light can be low and there's many moments that you can't afford to miss. If you feel the same, I'd go with the Canon. You won't regret it. Your bank balance might, but YOU won't.

Does a Canon 24-70mkIII even exist? I've used both the Tamron & the Canon 24-70 (mkI) on my 6D and I wouldn't trade the Canon for the Tamron for any amount of money. The basic problem in my opinion is AF speed and accuracy, as it almost always is with 3rd party lenses. The Tamron is pretty damn sharp and would be a better bargain if you don't mind missing AF now and then or having it hunt. I shoot gigs, and like weddings, light can be low and there's many moments that you can't afford to miss. If you feel the same, I'd go with the Canon. You won't regret it. Your bank balance might, but YOU won't.

lol...it does but only i am allowed it according to Canon!! :D

cheers, you've helped me there, made a choice!!!

I'm still torn on what lens to get for my 6D....a Tamron 24-70, a canon 24-70mkii or save for the 24-70mkiii (is it really worth the extra mullar?)

Any advise - mostly used for weddings.

cheers

Dan
I have not used the Canon mkii, but have used the mki and currently use the Tamron 24-70 VC on my 6D. If you rely on Photography to pay the bills then you need the best kit you can afford. The Canon mkii is widely recognised as THE best general purpose lens available, period. If you can afford one, get the mkii.

If you are counting the pennies, both the Canon mki and Tamron VC offer better value. My experience favours the Tamron because I find it sharper and my hands are not the steadiest. The very quiet and excellent VC performance allow me to leave the monopod/tripod behind and shoot handheld without fear. Granted the Tamrom does not focus as fast as the Canon but focus is still quick and surefooted on a 6D. I have zero front/back focus issues with the Tamron mounted on my 6D (and also had no probs with the Canon). Performance is excellent.

You need to take into account whether the slightly faster AF of the Canons will be important to you. For Weddings I doubt whether lightening AF is really needed, but it is always better to have it than not. The same applies for VC/IS. Both lenses are very solidly build (the Canon is tank like), but out of the two I would prefer to drop the Canon because it feels more likely to survive (and I would miss it less if it should die).

So, my advice is to get the 24-70 II if you can afford it or the Tamron if you cannot. If you choose the 24-70 mkI you will always lust over the II, but if you get the Tamron you can smile at how effective the VC is and how much money you saved. You also get a nice warranty with a new lens.

If you go with the 24-70 mkI, maybe try MPBphotographic for it used. That's where I picked mine up for a bargain and came in the original box with the lens pouch, checked and with warranty. Better than risking a private sale.

decision made...24-70 mark i it is...cant justify £1400 for ii, not sure the re-sale value of Tamron will be good (albeit it sounds like s good lens)...the faster focus will come in handy for other shooting, especially the cycling...cheers for the advise guys.
Good choice, The great thing about buying used is that you lose very little money should you ever wish to sell it on. The mkI is a very nice lens.

Hoping to be picking up a 6D in the next few weeks to replace my ageing 450D, how do you find the battery life? Is the genuine battery worth the £50 for a second one? I used 7Dayshop batteries as spares in the 450D..
With GPS and Wifi off the battery life is good. It's a massive improvement on what you'll be used to with an xxxD. Aftermarket batteries are fine as long as they are fully decoded and you can get confirmation that they work with the 6D.

@Stevie - did you use any of the outer focus points? I'm not confident enough in their ability to use them. I find myself using just the centre point almost all the time.[/QUOTE]

Sorry about the delay. Yes, tried the outer points at the soap boxes since they were in two lanes and wasn't disappointed at all.

With GPS and Wifi off the battery life is good. It's a massive improvement on what you'll be used to with an xxxD. Aftermarket batteries are fine as long as they are fully decoded and you can get confirmation that they work with the 6D.

How do you decide a battery? I had two for my 60D so kept one when I sold it. I bought it as genuine and was/is in the Canon box and worked perfectly before but won't be recognised by the 6D. It still works - just no battery info.

Thanks

Stevie

How do you decide a battery? I had two for my 60D so kept one when I sold it. I bought it as genuine and was/is in the Canon box and worked perfectly before but won't be recognised by the 6D. It still works - just no battery info.

Thanks

Stevie
I only had one spare and it was a Canon, so it worked - I guess look online to see reports of aftermarket batteries that work properly. Sorry I can't help more.

I have had my 6D for a few months now and love it. The spare battery I bought was a hahnel HL-E6 which works fine, holds charge well and shows battery level in camera plus a lot cheaper the the official Canon one.

@Stevie - did you use any of the outer focus points? I'm not confident enough in their ability to use them. I find myself using just the centre point almost all the time.

Sorry about the delay. Yes, tried the outer points at the soap boxes since they were in two lanes and wasn't disappointed at all.

Stevie

Thanks Stevie, I gave the outer points another go on Thursday afternoon/evening and they performed like they should. :)

When I bought my 6D from a local Calumet, they sold me a CJ0621 battery, which doesn't register on the camera (so you don't get any charge info), but otherwise it works fine as a backup. On their website it's described as working for the 7D and 5dmkII, and I was probably amongst their first 6D customers, so I guess they just assumed it was OK.

After finding this list, I heard about the Hahnel HL-E6, and it works perfectly.

Just to add to the battery list - my 7dayshop batteries, which register fine on my 7D, aren't recognised on my 6D but work OK as long as you can cope without the charging info. They'll probably just stay in the 7D instead...

Just to add to the battery list - my 7dayshop batteries, which register fine on my 7D, aren't recognised on my 6D but work OK as long as you can cope without the charging info. They'll probably just stay in the 7D instead...

Same result for me (mine were for 60D). I note that 7dayshop's new batteries have an updated firmware and now work fine on the 6D (apparently).

Anybody else having issues with connecting Wireless?

I've managed to connect to my iPad adHoc and also connect to my Mac AdHoc (hit and miss) but for the life of me it will not connect via Infrastucture.

My router can see the camera and has assigned it an IP address but the WFT pairing software will just not see the camera!!

I've been in IT for many years and know how to setup wireless devices but the bloody camera just won't play ball.

Is it just me?

I've managed to connect to my iPad adHoc and also connect to my Mac AdHoc (hit and miss) but for the life of me it will not connect via Infrastucture.

My router can see the camera and has assigned it an IP address but the WFT pairing software will just not see the camera!!

I've been in IT for many years and know how to setup wireless devices but the bloody camera just won't play ball.

Is it just me?

It does work but it isn't that easy to get the initial connection working - I had similar problems. I think maybe the change between ad-hoc and infrastructure isn't quite as smooth as it should be - try deleting all your settings and then start again.

Once it's set up it seems to work pretty smoothly, so it's worth persevering.

Is it just me?

It's not a huge feature I use but works well once it's connected! I really wish they worked on some more features for the app it could do so much more!

Same result for me (mine were for 60D). I note that 7dayshop's new batteries have an updated firmware and now work fine on the 6D (apparently).

I received my battery from 7dayshop today and i can confirm that the upgraded firmware one i ordered charged perfectly in my 6d charger, and the battery 'registered' fine with the camera. Serial number, battery info etc etc, all as they should be. (y)

I received my battery from 7dayshop today and i can confirm that the upgraded firmware one i ordered charged perfectly in my 6d charger, and the battery 'registered' fine with the camera. Serial number, battery info etc etc, all as they should be. (y)

Maybe I should ask them to swap mine now :)

Has anybody used magic lantern on their 6d?

I noticed their front page says they have 6d supported but I can't find the download and also if its worth it?

Hi folks,

I've been having awful problems trying to get my 6D to communicate over wifi to my laptop. I've had problems with BT so after several weeks and several new routers and modems they think they have it sorted. Personally I doubt it...

Anyway - when I first got the 6D it linked up to the EOS Utility first time - I even jinked it by saying to my better half that it was easier than I thought it would be! Now I can connect to my Android tablet easily, I've deleted all the wifi settings on the camera several times, renamed it but after entering my wifi password, go for Auto setting under IP address set and then start pairing devices it goes to the screen in the picture below in the bottom left hand side. Nothing happens on the laptop. (Windows 8 Pro). The WiFi symbol just continues to flash.

Any help would be very greatly received.

Stevie

Back