Eos 6d Owners Thread!

Placed my order with Kerso last night for the 24-105 kit, I can't wait for it to arrive! Just need to save up for the 17-40 now...

Hi folks,

I've been having awful problems trying to get my 6D to communicate over wifi to my laptop. I've had problems with BT so after several weeks and several new routers and modems they think they have it sorted. Personally I doubt it...

I don't think it's got anything to do with your BT Internet as it connects directly with what you are using. The way I connect to my iPhone is (once paired up).

Turn on camera wi-fi
Go into my phones wireless settings and choose the wireless network that the cameras transmitting. Wait a few seconds and then you're connected.

It works for me anyway, the only thing I use it for is to download the images that I want to my phone to either keep or email.

Hope this helps a bit.

Starting to get a bit annoyed with the outer focal points in any light where ISO 1600 or above is required. The camera is very good in all other respects, but the focus system really is poor!

I think anyone thinking of getting one as a main pro body should bare this in mind

Hmm done a few more jobs now with this as my 2nd body and it seems that with the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 lens it works pretty well in low light... Or at least it has been doing recently.

For example I shot a wedding last weekend in a dark church and I was right at the back zoomed in to 200mm and it focussed really well... a few times it did hunt a little, but most times it seemed fine.

It seems that some lenses work better than others with this camera as the 50mm f/1.4 really struggled in far better light than that... and it's a brand new lens so no issues with it.

Hey, just thought I'd check in. Just got a shiny new 6D along with some lenses.

I've actually switched from Nikon! Having been a Nikon user for years it was a difficult decision to make but as I really wanted to go FF the lens issue wasn't really too bad for me as most of my Nikon lenses were for crop sensors only. I also do a lot of pro video work so building up pro level EF lenses seems to be a much better idea for some of the other cameras I use.

Anyway, really happy so far, amazed at the images I'm getting out of it straight away even though it's barely stopped raining since it arrived!

Starting to get a bit annoyed with the outer focal points in any light where ISO 1600 or above is required. The camera is very good in all other respects, but the focus system really is poor!

I think anyone thinking of getting one as a main pro body should bare this in mind

have to agree...its a pain in the arse especially as my other body is a 7D which has great focus points!

have to agree...its a pain in the arse especially as my other body is a 7D which has great focus points!

I think going from a 7D to an 5D MKIII and then a little while later buying the 6D means I've been a little spoilt with excellent AF systems, and so maybe I notice it more than someone going from say a 5D MK II to a 6D.

I have to say the 6D does kick the 7D's in every area apart from the focussing system though... and like I said above with the 70-200mm I seem to be having more success than with the 50mm prime

My 1.4 has felt sluggish on every body I have owned. Are you guys sure it is not just the lens?

I have a Sigma 50 1.4 and it's actually very good at both focussing and IQ. Not as good as the Canon L glass, but not far off!

I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these. I'd sell my current gear to help fund one, can anyone give me a rough estimate for how much this lot would be worth?

600d with 18-55 kit lens
Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non vc

Thanjs

I'm seriously thinking about getting one of these. I'd sell my current gear to help fund one, can anyone give me a rough estimate for how much this lot would be worth?

600d with 18-55 kit lens

Thanjs

Take a look in the classifieds section to see what recent ones have sold for, that'll give you the best idea. There is a specific section for asking prices too.

600d with 18-55 kit lens

Thanjs
Me too Simon! I have the 600D and kit lens, also the 15-85 which would also have to go, as it would not fit the 6D. Look amazing though!
Thinking I might put the lot on Amazon, and see what response I get! :)

Received mine yesterday and had my first outing today. Really impressed so far, especially with the low light performance. Had a little play with the wifi as well. Not had chance to upload the images into lightroom just yet but I'll keep you posted. It'll take a bit of getting used to moving from a 7D with the lack of thumb control but I was always happy when I had a 60D which is pretty similar.

How are people finding only having one cross type focal point? Typically I focus recompose on my 600d but there are times where that isn't appropriate

How are people finding only having one cross type focal point? Typically I focus recompose on my 600d but there are times where that isn't appropriate

Not really had any problems. I mostly use centre point anyway.
We did some light painting the other night and was focusing with a torch and had no problems.

Not really had any problems. I mostly use centre point anyway.
We did some light painting the other night and was focusing with a torch and had no problems.

I think a lot of people say the 6D's focussing system is fine purely because a lot (vast majority it seems) centre and recompose.

As someone who uses outer focal points I can tell you it's 'ok' most of the time... sometimes it hunts for ages.

As posted above certain lenses seem to work better for some strange reason i.e. Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 works great most of the time, Canon 50mm f/1.4 can be problematic.

9527432333_595eca3ffe_b.jpg

I'm in love already. 35mm seems such a useful focal length!

I have just bought the Sigma 35mm f1.4 for my 6D and it's the best lens I have ever owned...and I have owned loads!! I was going to sell my 6D but decided i can not live without full frame so invested in some L glass and the Siggy 35mm. I'm really happy with the set up. I have also pulled the trigger on a Samyang 14mm f2.8 which looks like a great fun lens.

Right, had a quick nose at a 6D in Curry's on Oxford St. Not the best place to try I know but I had a few minutes spare. They were very keen to demonstrate it's functionality with an iPad, and I have to admit this is something I am keen to use.

However, they couldn't get it to focus via the app, they were focusing normally and using the app to take the shot. Now I'm inclined to think this is more "user error" than a oversight with the technology. Can anyone confirm that the camera will focus when used with the iPad app ?

Thanks,
Steve

Yes it will Steve. I know I can focus using my phone, I assume the app works the same on all devices.

You can focus with the app, but you have to go into the settings and enable the focus button. It took me a little while to figure that out too.

Deffo user error on their part, but also Canons fault for hiding it away in the first place.

The App can control most of the features and take the shot. It was one of the reasons I bought a 6D. :)

It is the same app that you use on the phone, you have the 2x bubble on the iPad, but yes, there is a second button to the left of the shutter in the middle that lets you focus unless it has changed. You just have to turn it on in the settings somewhere

Just received my brand new 6D and 24-105mm in the post this morning, ordered off Panamoz.com with the 5% BAC discount. Brilliant service from Tina and the rest of the team - ordered on Saturday, dispatched on Monday, arrived on Wednesday.

Having heard so much about the excellent noise control I had to conduct (crudely) a noise test, the results of which linked here as a set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97524940@N03/sets/72157635165718969/
Is the level of colour noise normal here?

All shot using via an iPhone, of course! ;)

I will be taking it to Kew Gardens this Friday for its first proper trip out.

Re focussing using an iPhone/iPad...

It's a small point, but it had me confused for many weeks when I first got my 6D, so I think it's worth repeating. What the second button on the app does, effectively, is to press the AF-ON button.

If you've remapped that button to something else (I initially had it doing exposure lock), then you'll find there is no way to focus from the phone app.

Is anyone using Shuttersnitch on iOS with their 6D? I know it can help import and manage photos from a 6D over wi-fi, but I'm wondering whether it gives me really significant benefits over the EOS Remote app.

It's £14, which is fairly pricey for an iOS app, but I guess not much in the world of photography gear!

Quick question guys:

Bought myself a brand-new 6D a few weeks ago. Whilst using it last week, I noticed that the lenses move very slightly whilst mounted. If I hold the lens and turn it, it will move ever-so slightly (I'm talking less than 1mm) side-to-side. It didn't seem to have any negative impact on the camera's ability to take photos. Is this a fault or does it happen with every camera?
I'll try it with my old 400D when I'm home at the weekend to see if it happens with that too but thought I'd throw it out there in the meantime to see if anyone else has noticed the same.

Simon

Mine is pretty much rock solid. Do you mean slight rotation or actual
across the focal plane side to side? The latter isn't good... I'd check the lens mount using another camera for sure.

I mean rotation; sorry, my choice of words wasn't the best before. This happened with two of my lenses but I haven't checked the other yet.

Simon

A few completely different 6D shots, first up with a Sigma 24-70. This was taken at the Ulster Rally and in the service area last night.

Todds Leap Ulster Rally 2013 by Exif Data | Stephen Scott, on Flickr

Todds Leap Ulster Rally 2013 by Exif Data | Stephen Scott, on Flickr

And this was hand held with a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 with a Sigma 1.4x teleconverter at f4 and 1/160 in falling light.

Ethan posing at the jetty at the end of the Killyhevlin Straight by Exif Data | Stephen Scott, on Flickr

Thanks

Stevie

Im also a new owner of a 6d with 24-105. Coming from a 550d with 15-85 im not impressed with iq. The body seems to produce soft images. When i put the lens on my 550d the pics are sharper so i know its not the lens. Really happy with the high iso performance though.

Im also a new owner of a 6d with 24-105. Coming from a 550d with 15-85 im not impressed with iq. The body seems to produce soft images. When i put the lens on my 550d the pics are sharper so i know its not the lens. Really happy with the high iso performance though.

I came from Sony A57 to Canon 6D and pictures I've taken so far justify the cost. Canon gives certainly more detailed landscape pictures I would say.

6D produces pictures if not better than the 5D MK III from what I have seen.

I'm not trying to be cheeking here but may I ask are you shooting raw or fiddling with JPEG?

Back