Eos 6d Owners Thread!

Seems a decent deal, hoping the offers that were around at the end of October come back!
I decided to pickup another Nikon D600 that I'd found on offer (£900) but it will be getting returned as its got the same dust issue as the last one, unsure what to do, 6D seems like very good value and I did like the one I tried before I decided to buy the D600.

What kind of deals were they?

Also how does the 50mm f1.8 perform on the 6D?

Last edited:
I took advantage of the Jessops deal with the free 600ex flash a couple of weeks ago.

Sold the flash and software and got quidco cash back which totalled £400 after my costs. So I paid £1075 in the end for a new UK 6D body only and bought a 1 year old 24-105mm for £450, total of £1525 so not a bad deal. Much better than buying an import imo.

Just bit the bullet, shame all the deals have finished, now I have ordered one no doubt they will appear again just before Christmas

Should be here tomorrow, especially looking forward to the sensor cleaning gizmo and live view, both sadly lacking from my trusty 5D.

Not so sure I will use the wi-fi business, no smart phone or tablet although you can presumably link it via a laptop (or maybe not, apps ain't my thang)

Got mine today, here are a couple of shots

10929393984_628c9ae439_c.jpg

10929394644_44a2036571_c.jpg

10929537153_91451d1e74_c.jpg

Well, mine arrived today, from Digitalrev. I've never been so excited whilst unboxing, then so dissapointed when although the charging unit and UK mains adapter were present and correct, the mains cable itself is missing :crying:

I've sent them an email, but as I took today and tomorrow off to play with my new toy, (and I'm googling as we speak) does anyone know where I can source the lead, or if need be, a whole charging unit (which I will then invoice Digitalrev for!).

Edit - I'd need a whole new UK unit as the charger supplied uses a different cable.

Edit 2! - doh! I've just noticed the charger plugs directly into the UK adaptor and there is no cable needed, its now charging, alls good!!! I feel a little silly, but relieved! :bonk::bonk::withstupid::banana:

Last edited:
Received my 6D today and have to say my initial impressions are less than favourable which seems to differ from everyone else on this thread

Took quite a few sample shots using my 24-105 on jpeg at best quality using the default picture style of 3-0-0-0 at ISO 100

First thing I noticed was lack of detail and overall softness of the images when compared with those from my 5D at similar settings, all viewed on an IPS monitor that has been correctly adjusted.

No samples to show until I undertake more stringent comparison tomorrow and wonder if a better test would be against a 5D MKII, fortunately my daughter has one

When viewed at fit to screen size the photos look ok, but once I start zooming in they are definitely lacking in fine detail. l Am I being overly ambitious looking at 100% and expecting it to outdo my 5D at a similar resolution, personally think not although it does make me wonder if the extra pixels make a difference.

Will use all three bodies with the same lens on a tripod tomorrow and see what happens, same settings too obviously

Another factor could be the much weaker AA filter in my old camera, but if things don't improve its going back a bit sharpish, thankfully bought from a UK shop with 14 days to return for a refund if not satisfied

Want to like it and it certainly feels a nice camera, but not paying out when a seven year old camera produces nicer results

Last edited:
Try a different lens, I never got on with the 24-105 on my 5DII and I can't believe for a second you'll get worse results comparing a 5D with a 6D (he says having never actually used a 6D... but... but... logic!).

Not a bad idea Simon, I might try a 100mm macro, its the newer IS version and if that doesn't give good detail will just give up

My daughter uses a 24-105 on her MKII (not the same lens) and it sems fine, mine produces decent enough photos on the 5D too

Maybe my oldie is just a real good'un and to be honest a bit deflated this evening, this 6D didn't seem anywhere near as good as I had hoped for

Last edited:
Wow, initial impressions are very good indeed! Strange that Rich isnt seeing the fine detail, its certainly there on mine with the 24-105. I'm most impressed, even the AF, which some have knocked for its low number of points and one cross type, is superfast and accurate. The centre point is very sensitive, even in very dark conditions. I expected it to be similar to the 5d2 but it locks and tracks so much quicker. Must say I'm loving this, and its high iso is another big leap.

A few shots;

ISO 1600

Fin iso 1600 b
by Odd Jim, on Flickr

ISO 1600

Finley iso 1600
by Odd Jim, on Flickr

The AF tracked these two at full chat, no easy task!

Fin and Po 3 iso 800
by Odd Jim, on Flickr

ISO 1600 (again! Not tried 3200 and above yet...)

Murdock iso 1600
by Odd Jim, on Flickr

Last edited:
Glad you are pleased with yours Jim, those sort of results were what I had hoped for, but nothing like I was getting.

Think I will give up with these new fangled things and just stick with the tried and trusted, makes me realise just how good that old 5D is

Decided I will give the Canon 100mm L IS a go, know that lens is spot on and if that doesn't do the business its straight up the post office with it.

Last edited:
Glad you are pleased with yours Jim, those sort of results were what I had hoped for, but nothing like I was getting.

Decided I will give the Canon 100mm L IS a go, know that lens is spot on and if that doesn't do the business its straight up the post office with it.

Maybe you have a duff one? I know I'm stating the obvious, but it might be worth resetting back to factory defaults?

but it might be worth resetting back to factory defaults?

That's all I have used and not changed a thing, I am beginning to wonder if its a wrong'un having seen all the praise on this thread, just my luck if it is

Fortunately had a LP-E6 battery and Lightroom so apart from the camera not opened anything from the box, not even set the time and date yet

Know I could try RAW, but it should still produce an acceptable jpeg even at default settings

Last edited:
Last edited:
That's all I have used and not changed a thing, I am beginning to wonder if its a wrong'un having seen all the praise on this thread, just my luck if it is

Fortunately had a LP-E6 battery and Lightroom so apart from the camera not opened anything from the box, not even set the time and date yet

Very strange. I'd be interested to see how you get along with the 100mm on it.

So will I Jim, got a few other lenses I could try, but if that doesn't work think I will just cut my losses and call it a day

Sounds like the lens is off if you are lacking detail at low iso. Perhaps try to micro adjust it?

If I do try the 100mm and its ok I might well try that so thanks for the idea, still seems odd that it gives perfectly good detailed photos on my 5D

To be really honest quite peed off with this camera already, might just save myself any more wasted time and send the bugger back for a refund

Fancied live view, sensor cleaning gizmo and better low light performance, but all this messing about has put me off, occasional sensor clean doesn't seem so bad now

Sounds like the lens is off if you are lacking detail at low iso. Perhaps try to micro adjust it?

Jim, great shots! I've shot my 6D at iso 8000 and still been amazed...give it a go :)

Thanks! I've gone up to iso 10000 now (see below)!

Rich, dont let it ruin it for you, keep it, its a gem. You'll regret it if you do!

Ok, so I popped out for a few more low light test shot, see what you think...

ISO 3200, no NR

iso 3200 no nr c
by Odd Jim, on Flickr

ISO 3200, slight NR applied though it didnt really need it

iso 3200 d slight nr
by Odd Jim, on Flickr

ISO 10000 (!) with no NR

iso 10000 no nr
by Odd Jim, on Flickr

Now, the party piece. It was a fairly clear night and the moon was up. Not only can it produce a very clean iso 6400, it managed to AF very quickly, using just the ambient light on the road from the moon! (theres a bit of noise in the sky, some of thats my fault as I under exposed it...)

iso 6400 slight nr
by Odd Jim, on Flickr

All hand held with the 24-105. This is an amazing camera!

Last edited:
Where were you taking those photos? I've got a funny feeling I know where it is but can't quite put my finger on it. 

Where were you taking those photos? I've got a funny feeling I know where it is but can't quite put my finger on it. 

These were taken in Newport, IOW.

^ very nice!

If I do try the 100mm and its ok I might well try that so thanks for the idea, still seems odd that it gives perfectly good detailed photos on my 5D

To be really honest quite peed off with this camera already, might just save myself any more wasted time and send the bugger back for a refund

Fancied live view, sensor cleaning gizmo and better low light performance, but all this messing about has put me off, occasional sensor clean doesn't seem so bad now

Get it exchanged?

Did a few more tests today and the 6D has gone back for a refund, not wasting any more valuable time messing about.

Not only the fine detail problem, but overexposed by 2/3 of a stop too, not impressed

I'm sure the 6D is a very good camera especially in low light, but I will stick with my 5D which is obviously even these days still a good camera

Last edited:
Did a few more tests today and the 6D has gone back for a refund, not wasting any more valuable time messing about.

Not only the fine detail problem, but overexposed by 2/3 of a stop too, not impressed

I'm sure the 6D is a very good camera especially in low light, but I will stick with my 5D which is obviously even these days still a good camera

Did you try any other lenses on it in the end? The 5D is still a very capable camera, obviously, but I have to admit I've not touched my 5D since purchasing the 6D, it's way better IMO. Detail at 100% zoom is astonishing in RAW and of course you have all the modern features like auto ISO with a minimum shutter speed in aperture priority mode, decent LCD and GPS.

Woah, must be something wrong as far as I know the 6d is conservative in exposure, slightly underexposing, not overexposing. The 5d (I've had 2) is good but nowhere near the 6d IMO.

Last edited:
Did you try any other lenses on it in the end?

No I didn't, perfectly happy with the 24-105mm performance on the 5D and think its fair to expect the same on a relatively expensive newer camera

All I can think of is that some sort of noise reduction algorithim has been used on jpegs to keep noise down and the outcome is a smoothing of detail

Sure the lowlight and RAW performance is good, but the bulk of my photography is either landscapes or static targets and expected far more improvement than I saw (in fact it was worse and that is unacceptable)

Next buy will probably be a 5D Mk ii, my daughter has one and it is definitely superior to the 6D I tried, can live without GPS and auto ISO.

I have to admit I've not touched my 5D since purchasing the 6D, it's way better IMO

Glad you have a good sample, I would be very interested to compare a RAW with no processing at low ISO from 5D mki and ii with the 6D. Some of the shots others have raved about are no better than I manage apart from all the streets at night ones

Last edited:
Maybe the 24-105 just needs a little MA?

The 6d is a far better camera than the 5d mk2 IMO, and is now regarded as one of the best performing FF cameras with regards to IQ.

I really would at least try it with the 100mm.

Maybe the 24-105 just needs a little MA?

The 6d is a far better camera than the 5d mk2 IMO, and is now regarded as one of the best performing FF cameras with regards to IQ.

I really would at least try it with the 100mm.

Too late its gone back, think I will depart this thread now and leave all you happy 6D owners in peace

Best thing I can say is remain to be convinced and think the 5D2 is a big enough next step for me

Must say I don't get all this MA business, awful lot of messing about and is it too much to expect that a modern camera might do that automatically. Also begs the question how can a lens focus perfectly well on some bodies and not on others

Au revoir and enjoy

Rich isn't coming back but I wanted to run a quick objective test over my lunch break to confirm (or not?) my feeling that the 6D provides better output than the 5D.

I always shoot RAW so here's a small version of the test scene (6D) followed by a crop from each of the 5D and then 6D. Images were exported from Lightroom into JPG as is and cropped afterwards.

The same lens was used with both cameras, a Carl Zeiss Planar 85/1.4 T* set at f/8. Exposure was the same with both cameras (cameras were used in aperture priority mode, ISO 100), so no metering issues with this scene.

Test scene

IMG_6255_testscene
by ManualFocus-G, on Flickr
5D crop 1

_MG_4970_crop1
6D crop 1

IMG_6255_crop1
5D crop 2

_MG_4970_crop2

6D crop 2

IMG_6255_crop2

My conclusion is that in RAW at least the 6D shows more detail. Rich's main complaint seems to be about JPG performance (I think). I never use JPG mode usually, but set both cameras to shoot RAW and JPG using the highest quality JPG setting with no noise reduction etc.

Same crops:

5D crop 1

_MG_4970_crop1
6D crop 1

IMG_6255_crop1

5D crop 2

_MG_4970_crop2

6D crop 2

IMG_6255_crop2

Looks the JPG engine is pretty horrible on both cameras to be honest, but with the 6D you get in closer to the action which perhaps accentuates it?

I did pop back just out of curiosity , 6D returned and refunded, now bought a used 5D Mk II from the classifieds

Have to say if the results from my tests matched those above I would have been happy to keep it. Do usually use RAW myself, but only have LR3 and didn't want to open the software or mess about with the DNG converter hence the jpeg experiment.

Not a great example I know, but to my eye there is a distinct difference in detail between the two and it was more noticeable overall in the original collection of photos

Wasn't all about the zoomed in aspect, normal size it showed up quite clearly and can only assume I got a dodgy sample

5D
1142-1385136781-17cbad3fe33f7e03f2bd09ffba2d126f.jpg

6D
1143-1385136793-e26e73ba7ca5d5c4e19d93e319a73d88.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, looks terrible!! The fact it was overexposing so much wouldve had me worried most.

As others have added their dog's, here is one of my first 6D shots of Parker. Straight conversion from RAW, no PP, sharpening or noise reduction.

ISO 6400 - Full Image Available here
h47u.jpg

Ouch! Clearly something wrong with the 6D or the lens to camera calibration I reckon, unless you were shooting in p&s JPEG quality mode

Both shot at identical settings and same picture style (Standard 3,0,0,0) at L best quality with no processing, glad you agree I wasn't just being over critical

Yeah, looks terrible!! The fact it was overexposing so much wouldve had me worried most

Equally concerned about the overexposure, those shots were taken in identical lighting at 67mm, f/8 and 1/125 tripod mounted with remote release

I realise that this type of complaint is often user error, but it really wasn't this time, I have also owned a 7D and became very aware of assessing image quality. Have to say I think my 7D was also an improvement on this particular camera and bit peeved that I was so unlucky in getting a duff sample

Anyway it appears that most others have been more than satisfied and that's great, onwards and upwards for me and fingers crossed the MKII is a lot better (wouldn't be very hard)

Cheers
Rich

Last edited:
Back