Eos 6d Owners Thread!

I have had my 6D now for about 8 months and bought it with the 24-105 lens and it hardly leaves the camera even though I have several other great lenses. Brilliant for landscape unless you want super wide, great for portraits. I'm sure you wouldn't be dissapointed.

If you are after a budget zoom than the old Tamron SP 28-75/2.8 is great value. Here's a random couple of shots from my copy on the 6D back in Feb:

Guarding Sydney by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

Come rain or shine... by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

I'm still loving this camera in low light. For this purpose I tend to keep my Zeiss Planar 50/1.4 mounted and ramp up the high ISO. Here's a snap of my new son at ISO 5000:

Baby Oscar and friend by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

Does anyone know if every version of the 6d comes with Adobe Lightroom included? Or is it just uk versions? I was thinking of getting a 6d from either digitalrev or panamoz but not sure if they come with lightroom

The deal at Harrison cameras is hard to ignore. Free grip, cash back, Lightroom and elements for 1850.

Even as someone who really would prefer the Nikon D610 the 6D + 24-105 with Lightroom, Elements, Grip and £300 off is hard to pass up....

I picked up a 6D last week (upgraded from 600D) it included 24-105, Lightroom 5 and €190 cash back.

I was a small bit sceptical of the 24-105 too but I can honestly say I've been impressed by it. It's just so useful and covers so many options and the IQ is superb. If you get it with the kit you're saving quite a bit off the price of buying it separately. I've the 70-200 F4L too but I haven't used it much in the last week, it's been mainly 24-105. Sure, I want the 24-70 2.8 & the 70-200 2.8 II but for the moment what I have is plenty.

With the lenses you have now I would 100% get the kit.

Does anyone know if every version of the 6d comes with Adobe Lightroom included? Or is it just uk versions? I was thinking of getting a 6d from either digitalrev or panamoz but not sure if they come with lightroom

It's a UK only offer from bona fide dealers, so grey imports won't qualify.

I got a deal similar to this, except I got a free 50mm F1.8 lens, rather than the flashgun:
http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/new-eq...n-eos-6d-24-105mm-f4-l-is-usm-winter-kit.html
I think this is one of the best deals around for a genuine (non-grey) outfit.
Being in London I had the added advantage of being able to walk into their West End branch and actually deal over the counter with a knowledgeable and intelligent human being.

Cashback ends on 31st Oct, so make yer mind up soon.

Last edited:
It's a UK only offer from bona fide dealers, so grey imports won't qualify. I got a deal similar to this, except I got a free 50mm F1.8 lens, rather than the flashgun: http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/new-equipment/cameras/digital-slr/canon-eos-6d-24-105mm-f4-l-is-usm-winter-kit.html I think this is one of the best deals around for a genuine (non-grey) outfit. Being in London I had the added advantage of being able to walk into their West End branch and actually deal over the counter with a knowledgeable and intelligent human being. Cashback ends on 31st Oct, so make yer mind up soon.

Hdew have this offer.

12,800 iso - there's 4 barely lit down lighters on across the other side of the room. A very useable image!

Can anyone report on the low light AF with the 6D on moving targets (stock cars under floodlights, but with track position I can pick low relative movement moments), please?

At the moment I'm content with the performance I'm getting under these conditions with a 40D and Sigma 105mm macro, so I'm not looking for stellar performance and I know that I can gain DOF from the ISO capabilities vs the 40D. I'm pretty much a generalist photographically, this is just an extreme situation I enjoy photographing a few times a year and I want to take it into consideration when looking at the 6D vs 70D.

I'm looking to replace my D600 with this.

However I'm looking for some lens advice, ideally I'm looking for a 24mm and 35mm prime and probably a zoom.

On the zoom front I'd probably look for a used 24-105 L but on the 24 and 35 front I wonder if the older non IS lenses were good? They seem a lot cheaper than the newer IS equipped lenses.

Last day for cashback Chris.

Thanks mate, truth be told I think I'm going to leave it and pickup another Nikon.

I've still got a lenses(24mm f2.8 D which while cheap and "not great" has actually very much surprised me on the D600, pricing up similar with a 6D and I'd be looking at a quite large outlay, I'm tempted to try one of the discounted D600's or just pay the asking on the D610.

There are some features of the 6D I'd really like, especially the excellent low light focus and as far as I'm concerned better high iso ability having tried one along with GPS but I'm not sure I can make the move work for me financially, particularly as there seem to be few cheaper Canon Full Frame Primes (equivalent to say the Nikon 24mm f2.8D and 35mm f2 D which are cheap), it looks like I'd be paying £450+ for a 35mm lens, I will have a look over lunch and maybe decide to order, the current body price of £1175 (with offers) is a steal!

Does anyone here have a favourite 50mm lens on their 6D? I'm slowly starting to dislike my Sigma 1.4 :confused:

Does anyone here have a favourite 50mm lens on their 6D? I'm slowly starting to dislike my Sigma 1.4 :confused:
I went for the Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG HSM rather than the 50mm, AWESOME lens!!! I have only heard good things about the Sigma 50/1.4. Why don't you like it?

Well, another duff 50mm Sigma for me, back focus. Shame, have had a perfect copy in NAF mount so know how it performs if you get a good copy.

Bit of a muck up here, I've tried cleaning sensor with rocked blower (which wasn't that dirty at all) and afterwards I see tiny dark spot in a viewfinder at all times, tried blowing into a mirror but didn't help at all.
I'm new to this so maybe someone could suggest whether I ought to psychically clean camera mirror or is it a bad idea?

I'm very tempted by a 6D + 24-105mm kit.

Have I missed the best offers? The best I can find is the jessops deal at £1999 with a free 600ex which I could sell for around £300 new. So £1700.

What were the best deals last month? Was the Harrisons deal £1700 after cash back plus the free grip?

Bit of a muck up here, I've tried cleaning sensor with rocked blower (which wasn't that dirty at all) and afterwards I see tiny dark spot in a viewfinder at all times, tried blowing into a mirror but didn't help at all.
I'm new to this so maybe someone could suggest whether I ought to psychically clean camera mirror or is it a bad idea?

It's probably on the AF screen not the mirror, easy to clean just requires a little patience. Check google for instructions. I've done 5d and it should be the same.

Last edited:
I went for the Sigma 35mm f1.4 DG HSM rather than the 50mm, AWESOME lens!!! I have only heard good things about the Sigma 50/1.4. Why don't you like it?
I can't quite put my finger on it. I think it's because I compare it to my 135 f2 which is sharp as a razor and hits focus EVERY time. The Sigma seems to have off days, where it'll occasionaly miss focus or appear soft in certain images.

I was looking at Canon's 50 1.2 as an upgrade...

It's probably on the AF screen not the mirror, easy to clean just requires a little patience. Check google for instructions. I've done 5d and it should be the same.

Hey cheers for suggestion, what happened it seems that dust spec only appeared only after I had mirror raised, strange though how can it land on AF screen.

Hey cheers for suggestion, what happened it seems that dust spec only appeared only after I had mirror raised, strange though how can it land on AF screen.

Cameras let in dust, it's pretty normal. Switching lenses, cleaning sensor, just one of those things. You may not need to take the screen out to clean, try using a giottos rocket and give the sensor, mirror and bottom of AF screen a blow. Don't use your breath!

I moved from a 5D to a 6D and was a little overwhelmed by all the new settings (digital photography had obviously moved on somewhat in the 7 years since the 5D was released)!

This is a handy link for getting started with setting up your camera. Obviously it all depends on what/how you shoot but for someone who shoots mainly landscapes I found it very helpful:

http://www.davidclapp.co.uk/blog/view/canon-6d-settings-tutorial

I'm looking to jump up from a 500D to FF and the 5D Mark III is out of my price range.

What does everyone think of the 6D? The things I'd likely be using it for the most are street, city and landscapes.

My main reason I want to go FF is for the better low light capabilities so I will be able to shoot some live music events.

Lenses I've got are EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, 50mm f1.8, 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 & EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 (obviously this won't work on full frame).

I've finally ordered my own 6d, with the 24-105 f/4. Cant wait! Just going through this thread.

I've finally ordered my own 6d, with the 24-105 f/4. Cant wait! Just going through this thread.

Where did you order from ? Im looking at these and can't find much in the way of offers or deals

Where did you order from ? Im looking at these and can't find much in the way of offers or deals

Digitalrev. £1599 for the body and 24-105. It's a grey import of course but that doesn't bother me.

Seems a decent deal, hoping the offers that were around at the end of October come back!
I decided to pickup another Nikon D600 that I'd found on offer (£900) but it will be getting returned as its got the same dust issue as the last one, unsure what to do, 6D seems like very good value and I did like the one I tried before I decided to buy the D600.

Got mine last month from Sussex Camera's in Chichester. Found the Lightroom and battery grip deal on the net from the internet suppliers, I called and they matched it for me. I like to spend my cash in the local area if I can so they now have a happy customer that will keep going back. Give your local shop a call to see if they will do the same.
As for the camera, I upgraded from a 60D. Find the 6D fantastic and ideal for travel photography.

Back