Eos 6d Owners Thread!

yeah there are a few there, I got a shot off but unfortunately it was the day I only had the 70-200 on and it was at least 25 metre away.

When i'm just on a jolly I only take one body and one lens... that time was the time I realise even if i'm doing a jolly its worth taking both. haha :D

Just lost the metal plate programme selector dial from on top of the camera.
Shame really, as otherwise it's a fabulous camera.

Luckily it's under warranty :)))

@Stevies i've always understood you anchor to the heaviest item, so if the lens is heavier than the body + grip anchor to that or vice versa. That way the lesser weight is stressing the camera lens mount.

I use the Optech strap system which has two anchor points so for heavier lens (70-200 2.8, 400 5.6) i clip to both the grip and lens vs the body / grip only for lighter lens. The Meike grip has a metal plate in the bottom of it and seems very secure. A quick Google around to see if anyone has reported failed mounting points might be worth while if you're worried. Personally never had a problem though (/touches wood).

Thanks for that. If I'm using the 70-200 or more I use the tripod foot on the lens but it was just for the like of the 24-105 or the heavier primes.

Thanks

Stevie

Gulp! Shot Sony for years, never used a canon, just bought a 6d about 10mins ago, holding out for a few days on a second hand mpe-65 before buying one from Web. Very nervous using a new system!

Matt

Gulp! Shot Sony for years, never used a canon, just bought a 6d about 10mins ago, holding out for a few days on a second hand mpe-65 before buying one from Web. Very nervous using a new system!

Matt

Shouldn't be nervous Matt, excited yes :banana: after all a camera is just a camera, the size and ergonomics may be different but it's still just a camera, read through this thread for tips and possible problems, look at other forums for more info and as dry as it sounds, read the manual and get a good understanding of how it all works.

The 6D is a very very good tool and without having to try too hard you will get excellent results, play with it, learn it and enjoy :)

Just been informed my 6d will arrive tomorrow - to say I'm excited is a massive understatement :D

Accidentally bought a s/h 6D last week, it was looking lonely in the window of my favourite camera shop in Chester!! My only FF compliant lens was the 50mm f1.8, so I bought a 24mm EF IS USM, as I like shooting wide. First outing....

Walker Gallery ISO12800 sm
by Mr Perceptive X100, on Flickr

St Georges Hall sm

Stand Still Gandalf!

Merseytravel Office 2 sm

Merseytravel Office 1 sm

Loving those pics Mr. Perceptive - especially the (very useable) high ISO on that first shot. My 6d + speedlight 600 + 32gb memory cards shoudl arrive today around 2pm - can't wait to get home to try it out on my 24-105L and 50mm Prime lenses :)

Hi everyone,

My 6D has developed what I think is a fault ( it's under warranty)
Taking studio model pics with it last week, during processing I noticed translucent circles over her skin in random places ( canon 24-105) used.
These circles are an outer dark one, then clear, then a central dark spot.

I thought refraction as it wasn't on other models under different lighting.
However I'm just back from Hong Kong ( canon 100-400 L) and the shots of a 747 taking off suffer the same problem.

As its 2 different lenses I'm thinking it's the camera, but would appreciate your thoughts.
Cheers
Dave

Are they in the same area - could be dust or marks on your sensor. Do some test shots on a plain white wall and see if it's in the same area on all the photo's (you may need to view them at 100% on a PC to see them properly).

On a positive note - my 6d arrived yesterday - not taken it outdoors yet but the indoor test pics look good so far. :D

Wow, it's gone quiet on here lately - I guess Christmas is getting in the way of a lot of photography - I know it is for me but tomorrow is my last day of work until 5th Jan so hopefully will get out (well wrapped up) and take some outdoor shots - there's only so many pics I can take of the cats :p

Wow, it's gone quiet on here lately - I guess Christmas is getting in the way of a lot of photography - I know it is for me but tomorrow is my last day of work until 5th Jan so hopefully will get out (well wrapped up) and take some outdoor shots - there's only so many pics I can take of the cats :p

That because owners of other makes/models are constantly complaining about their kit whereas 6D's just go about their work quietly and efficiently ;)

I'm looking to get a 6D but I can't make my mind up whether to brave getting a grey import from Panamoz or get a second-hand from MPB. Thoughts?

I'm looking to get a 6D but I can't make my mind up whether to brave getting a grey import from Panamoz or get a second-hand from MPB. Thoughts?

Bought mine from Panamoz, hardware is exactly the same as a UK model (charger is a bit different) and the Panamoz warranty will get it fixed for you if it goes wrong, which probably won't be at all, the 6D is very reliable with no known faults that seem to trouble other models.

Second hand is good too, MPB are very good and won't sell you an import as they only deal in UK stuff.

Thanks, although that still leaves me at square one :(. Is there really an advantage to buying a UK only stock, especially if it's out of warranty?

I'd go for Panamoz for 3 year warranty rather than the 6 months you get from mpb

I got mine from Value Basket - the body plus speedlight 600EX-RT plus 2 x 32GB memory cards was £1260
It did take around 5 weeks to arrive but if you aren't in a hurry it's a good price.

Right, having read up on a bit more the quandary I am in now is what lens to choose between 24-70 f4 or the 24-105 f4. I am a bit worried about reports the distortion at the short end of the 24-105 but I am a sucker for the extra distance. I don't suppose anyone has working experience of both?

Right, having read up on a bit more the quandary I am in now is what lens to choose between 24-70 f4 or the 24-105 f4. I am a bit worried about reports the distortion at the short end of the 24-105 but I am a sucker for the extra distance. I don't suppose anyone has working experience of both?
don't have either lens but an indicator of what you should with help others give you advice :)

I have the 6D and the 24-105 combo. The 24-105 is a really nice lens, but there is quite a bit of barrel distortion at 24mm, this is fixed with a click in Lightroom but if it is a problem to you the 24-70 F4 may be the better lens.

Moved from a 550d to a 6D this week, arrived from Panamoz with the 24-105 lens in just a few days at a cracking price (did bacs transfer too)

Now evaluating my lenses and will be selling the 550d together with the glass that doesn't go on the 6D. I've used links in this thread to get batteries :)

Impressed so far, will get out at the weekend and give it a proper go (providing we don't get the apocalyptic snow they are threatening us with)

joined the 6d club on Monday haven't had a lot of time to use it yet but initial impressions are that it is awesome, I have a a5d2 and a 1dmkiv initial impressions as reviews that the high iso is awesome and the newer modern design is massive plus for me

cant wait to go out and about and shoot some awesomeness

Tried to take a quick one of the dog earlier with the nifty fifty :) cant attach the image though ;-(

i-8sNGF2V-M.jpg

managed it eventually lol

Last edited:
That looks like a nice lens!

Whilst I could live with the 6D's basic AF system whilst it was fully functioning, mine seems to be going faulty :(

Been having loads of issues recently with hunting and rapid alternating between two focal distances when trying to focus on simple targets.

Tracked it down to the far-right focus point, which struggles to achieve focus on its own (and must conflict with the other points when in auto/all-point modes).

Made a quick video to demonstrate:

Thankfully just over a month left on warranty, though going to be cutting it fine as I need to keep hold of it for some jobs over the next few weeks.

I think the noise is likely to be the lens!

Noise is from the lens but due to the AF problem - they only do that when doing the rapid hunting, otherwise they're typical USM silent.

(Also made louder by the the camera pressed in contact with the body!)

But yes, going in for repair at next opportunity

Haven't posted for a little while so thought I'd just have a look around. I got an intervalometer for Christmas so looking forward to some time-lapse photography soon. So far only used it as a remote trigger release but looks easy enough to set up and use.

Does anyone else have problems with auto focusing when using the EOS phone app with the 6D? It just does not seem to even attempt to focus, I can manual focus or half press the shutter button on the camera. I have the focus button turned on in the app settings but it does not seem to do anything.

Any ideas?

6D went off to Elstree today, will see what they make of the AF problem :meh: :indifferent: Not got my spare body with me at uni so currently camera-less.

On the other hand, remain mostly happy with the 6D after 1 year of ownership. Still not many cameras that let you read music from a distance at ISO 6400

MnXQhGr.jpg

Does anyone else have problems with auto focusing when using the EOS phone app with the 6D? It just does not seem to even attempt to focus, I can manual focus or half press the shutter button on the camera. I have the focus button turned on in the app settings but it does not seem to do anything.

Any ideas?
What liveview AF mode do you have it in? Try using 'AF quick' and holding down the focus button in the app.

Last edited:
Back