Eos 6d Owners Thread!

I am a long term canon user,plus i have lenses & flashes for the canon.:)

:):D

I fought bravely , but finally succumbed.
Eos 6D and grip are on the way.

:arghh::plus1::clap:

Ordered my 6D from HDEW this morning.:):banana:

Just joined. I thought my 5d2 was good (still do) but this is just that bit nicer, softer clicky bits and a quieter shutter. It's fab.

All the reviews i have watched for months before ordering it convinced me.:)

Congratulations to all acquiring this piece of equipment. I've been using this camera for just around two years and I have got nothing but praise for it. It has been very high up the mountains, very deep underground never once did it fail me. Wouldn't change it for anything :)

Well said Rudlin,can,t wait for this camera to arrive.:):D:clap:

Cheers guys,it really is the good ISO handling that has persuaded me on this camera.:):D

That looks really good Nick.:)

Second outing at night with my new 6D. Shot in the darkest of unlit venues, with smoke in the air and very little natural contrast at 12800/10000 ISO.
16340912213_da8c98117f_b.jpg

16753584807_7c2e7a8917_b.jpg

No way that I'd have got anything last night with my old 650D.
Also, I discovered the truth in the center focus point being more sensitive in single-shot mode than AI Servo.

That looks incredible in low light.:):clap:

What wide angle lens do most of you use,as i need to get one at some point,but i don,t want to spend a fortune on it.:):D

What wide angle lens do most of you use,as i need to get one at some point,but i don,t want to spend a fortune on it.:):D
14mm Samyang / Rokinon - prime for astro mainly
17 - 40L - most common wide on a full frame i'd say, mainly due to cost as it's cheap as chips s/h and offers good results
16 - 35L f4 - feeling flush then this probably what you want

Would love the 16-35,but a bit expensive,i used to have the 17-40 years ago when i had a canon 5D,it was quite a nice lens.:)

Just a heads-up for Andriod Phone/Tablet users, I upgraded my phone to Android Lollipop (ver. 5 from ver. 4.4) and the EOS Remote app has stopped connecting to the 6D. It seems this is a common problem and we will have to wait for a fix from Canon. I used EOS Remote when the camera was on the tripod and found it to be quite handy, shame it is now broken, so if you use it, don't upgrade!

I don,t use those fancy phones.:D:)
Waiting for my 6D to arrive this week.:banana::D

Last edited:
Just a heads-up for Andriod Phone/Tablet users, I upgraded my phone to Android Lollipop (ver. 5 from ver. 4.4) and the EOS Remote app has stopped connecting to the 6D. It seems this is a common problem and we will have to wait for a fix from Canon. I used EOS Remote when the camera was on the tripod and found it to be quite handy, shame it is now broken, so if you use it, don't upgrade!
I think it's because lollipop connects to the internet over cellular data when the WiFi network it finds doesn't have internet connectivity.
Suspect if you turn off cellular data it'll work.

I think it's because lollipop connects to the internet over cellular data when the WiFi network it finds doesn't have internet connectivity.
Suspect if you turn off cellular data it'll work.

Thanks, that did the trick, bit of a faff having to remember to turn off mobile data but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Still can,t decide what wide angle to look for or maybe a short w/a zoom.:)o_O:help::cautious::nailbiting:

Last edited:
Had an e-mail from HDEW saying my camera has been dispatched,woohoo.:D:):banana:

Second outing at night with my new 6D. Shot in the darkest of unlit venues, with smoke in the air and very little natural contrast at 12800/10000 ISO.
No way that I'd have got anything last night with my old 650D.
Also, I discovered the truth in the center focus point being more sensitive in single-shot mode than AI Servo.

Watch out, don't get spoiled by the high iso performance :D I was in the same boat as you, jumping to the 6D from a 500D and now I can't cope with the 500D any more lol my starting ISO is now often 3200 :rotfl:

Never noticed the centre focus point is more sensitive in one shot mode... Will go test it out later

My 6D arrived safe & sound,excellent service from HDEW.:):clap:

awesome camera still pick mine up ahead of the 1dmkiv everytime for portraits or low light enjoy it @jockwav

:):D It,s awsome.

Do you have an authoritative reference for that information?

Bob
Nope, read it on a forum recently as posted by a Canon tech. He went into some detail as to the mechanics and logic but my take away was single shot centre point can focus in trickier low light than AI Servo. It's marginal, but it matches the behaviour I see.
I think it's true from practical experience, though.

Nope, read it on a forum recently as posted by a Canon tech. He went into some detail as to the mechanics and logic but my take away was single shot centre point can focus in trickier low light than AI Servo. It's marginal, but it matches the behaviour I see.
I think it's true from practical experience, though.
Cheers. I was the "it tries a little longer" that was at odds with my understanding of the difference in methodology.

Bob

I can't find it now either. I think the gist was that when pointed at a dark target it would hunt slower and less and take longer to attempt to focus rather than hunting...

I've definitely noticed the focus behavior mentioned in very low light:
- One shot will slowly hunt through the focus range and do a few readjustments before settling on an accurate lock
- Servo will try quickly and often get it wrong!

Note that there are a few custom function settings related to AI Servo that modify it's 'methodology' (1st shot and subsequent shot focus/speed priority settings, tracking options, etc)

Last edited:
Yep, that's it. I'm finding my keeper rate in low light better in one shot now with back button focus.

Well i went to our local juniors football match yesterday with the 6D & my 70-200mm F4 L IS lens & i was very impressed with the results,loving the camera.:):banana:

Who uses the 24mm-105mm F4 L IS lens with their 6D & any opinions on that lens.:)

Who uses the 24mm-105mm F4 L IS lens with their 6D & any opinions on that lens.:)
I bought the 6D kit, with the 24-105 lens.
I was a bit wary since I'd read mixed reports about the lens but appears my misgivings were unfounded.
A lot of people seem to complain about the distortion at the wide end, but I don't find this to be a problem, and it can easily be corrected in either Lightroom or DPP, whichever is your choice.
It can sometimes (rarely) suffer from CA, but this seems to be more dependent on lighting conditions, and again can easily be corrected in software.
I have been very satisfied with my 24-105 and it has become my most used lens on the 6D.
I find the zoom range to be ideal for everyday use.
If I need wider I also have the 17-40 and a couple of others that take me wider still, but I'd guess I'm using the 24-105 about 75% of the time

Back