Eos 6d Owners Thread!

Just been playing with my dads 7d and my 6d, both with my canon 24-105 L and i have to say the IQ is better on the 6d, the focus speed is (marginally / subjectively) better, the colour rendition is better, the low light is better....... but as said before the af speed is better on the 7d with tracking moving objects..... but that is it, please know that if your buying this camera you're not buying it for its sports/ wildlife/ action capabilities!

It is great but you have to have patience and learn what it can do and how to use it capabilities, not think, oh the 7d this, the 5d3 that.... you have to think, the 6d is.... and you know what, imo, the 6d is amazing!

Im no pro, i do not take pro shots, i take hobbyist shots. The 6d is great and i love it :)

**rant over**

The 6D does indeed comfortably out-resolve the 7D when both wear the 24-105, but this is largely due to the glass. My 17-55 IS comfortably outperforms the 24-105 on a 7D. I have owned two 24-105's, so know this is not down to a rogue example. I am sure it helps that the 17-55 was designed for the 7D. For center resolution the 17-55 is sharper at F/2.8 than the 24-105 is at F/4 on an 18MP APS-C sensor.

So, for me a fairer and more real-world comparison is 7D + 17-55 vs 6D + 24-105. These are two very common combos with both lenses costing similar money. F/2.8 on a crop provides very similar results to F/4 on FF. IS is very similar for both combos (both work well), and IMPORTANTLY, F2.8 wrestles back one of the 2-stops high-ISO advantage that the 6D holds. With this combo the 6D holds an effective one-stop advantage and DOF is equal.

I think that I have be spoiled by the almost perfect pairing of 7D and the 17-55. I am pretty sure that I would feel the same way if I have purchased a 5D3, or even a 1DX and mated them with an F/4 lens. If I had come from a 7D with a kit lens to the 6D/5D3 with a kit lens I would have been blown away.

I am not knocking the 6D. I fear I have acquired a taste for fast glass (which is a damned site more expensive on FF).

Having said all of this I can conclude that the 6D/5D3/1DX really need F/2.8 to force home their true sensor advantage. I better start saving for that 24-70 mkII.

edit: It is a little unfair for me to judge the 6D on the strength of how good the 7D works with the 17-55 F/2.8. I have also played with both cameras using my 70-300L today, and the 6D easily beats the 7D for IQ here. Being the same aperture, the 6D retains it's two-stops high ISO advantage, plus it has much more pleasing bokeh due to narrower DOF. I will keep the 6D (warts and all), but I need that F/2.8 on my walkabout lens.

Last edited:
Which lens?

**edit** just read exif, 17-40 f4 L will have distortion, all ultra wides do :(

I suppose it depends what you mean by distortion. Some wide angle lenses actually exhibit less actual distortion than some "standard" zooms.

Had a little practice with the 6D before the wedding I had on a couple of weeks ago... here's a shot where I was just practicing with the wife standing in as a model. Will stick some of the wedding shots up on here once the couple have them.

8749422039_371d492b04_z.jpg

Well thought I would post this to show the quality of a high iso shot. Was at a friends house last night and the kids were showing off. I'm amazed at the output. This was shot RAW, imported to lightroom, adjusted white balance, exported to full size jpg with no other adjustments.

Auto ISO
Aperture priority
1/100 sec
F6.3
ISO 25600

I've uploaded the file to dropbox as it was 20Mb so if anyone wants a look help yourself.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tkde3nlq6fa278e/20130518-IMG_0109.jpg

Has anyone used the multiple exposure setting to any great success yet? I mean the one that blends 2 seperate images together. Not the HDR setting.

After playing with the 6D over the weekend I have made my decision, and have put my 7D and crop kit up for sale within the Classified section. I don't think that the IQ on the 6D is a huge leap ahead, but it is better, especially in really low light. I also think that the merits of FF IQ vs Crop IQ are slightly exaggerated, and are largely dependent upon using expensive glass. For me, a 7D+17-55 F/2.8 offers very similar IQ to my 6D+24-105 combo.

Bought my 6D yesterday. Thought I had better get one before the cash back offer ended! I only have the 50mm f1.8 (and a sigma 105mm macro with no AF) but 1st impressions are (coming up from a 600D) WOW!! What a great camera. Light, does everything and more that I need/want and images are great. Feels really nice in the hand and feels a quality product.

Test shot from this morning...

Flower Basket by andywest1, on Flickr

Just been through the process of calibrating all my lenses using this software Reikan FoCal It was really straight forward to use and these are the results I got.

24-105F4L T+3 WA+2
17-40F4L T-7 WA-7
50mmF1.8 +11

Need to do some before and after testing now to make sure I'm happy with the results. One thing though is the 50mmF1.8 isn't very consistant with it's focus. Think it's time to invest in something a bit higher quality.

Well, have just took the plunge and have ordered a 6d + 24-70 f4 lens. I'm hoping that coming from a 550d, there's going to be some nice improvements!! :)

Well, have just took the plunge and have ordered a 6d + 24-70 f4 lens. I'm hoping that coming from a 550d, there's going to be some nice improvements!! :)

Just what I did, you will see a massive difference to the 550d , I use the 6d with a 24-70mm also , mk1 version a cracking combo :)

Just in case anyone else out there uses the PocketWizard flash triggers, you might be interested in a recent beta firmware release for the FlexTT5 transceiver which adds some support for the 6D.

Up until now, I could only use the PocketWizard kit in basic triggering mode. Now, while they haven't yet got full TTL support, I can at least change the power level of remote flashes using the menu on my 6D, which is quite fun.

More info at
http://www.pocketwizard.com/support/downloads/beta

Quentin

You might already know everything in here but it was a helpful guide for me:

http://kenrockwell.com/canon/6d/users-guide/index.htm

Yes, I found quite a few tips there. I hadn't noticed, for example, that you can configure the 'Set' button in the middle of the jogwheel to call up the menu. Very handy for those of us whose left hand is occupied holding the lens and so can't easily reach the MENU button...

Has anyone used the multiple exposure setting to any great success yet? I mean the one that blends 2 seperate images together. Not the HDR setting.
doubleexp01.jpg

I've been giving it a go with mixed results. I'll try and find/experiment more...

Anyone got any cheap 6D compatible Intervalometer suggestions?

doubleexp01.jpg

I've been giving it a go with mixed results. I'll try and find/experiment more...

Anyone got any cheap 6D compatible Intervalometer suggestions?

I've given up on the multiple exposure mode now. I think it's a bit of a gimmick really, unless someone wants to prove me wrong ;)

I was given some Jessops vouchers a while ago and bought a Hahnel Giga T pro II which is great. The only bad thing about it is the remote shuts off if it's not used after 30 seconds. Bloody annoying if you're using it as a remote shutter release, fine for any other mode tho.

I've given up on the multiple exposure mode now. I think it's a bit of a gimmick really, unless someone wants to prove me wrong ;)
img0897ls.jpg

I've been trying to compete with Sara K Byrne's double exposure work. Admittedly it's more suited for a formal art practice, but can't really think of anyone using the technique in a commercial sense.

My 6d +24-70L arrived today. Battery charging as we speak. Can't wait to get out with it :)

My 6d +24-70L arrived today. Battery charging as we speak. Can't wait to get out with it :)

Is that the MK1 f/2.8? - if so i'm jealous - i love that lens just never managed to purchase one yet :(

A few more example pictures from my 6D of my newborn daughter:

IMG_2046.jpg

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2071.jpg

Just on another random accessory spree...bought a couple of these!

http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-canon-e-77-ii-77mm-lens-cap.htm

Best price I could find! Much better than the caps that come with the original lenses and since its genuine Canon...its much better quality than the tat of ebay!
Yeah, it took Canon a lot longer than anyone else to come up with the idea of pinch-caps. Maybe one day they'll come up with an idea for a long tele-zoom which isn't white. Those are my two Canon pet hates, crap caps that cannot be removed/replaced with the hood on, and marmite white lenses.

edit: A third pet hate is the mushy multi-selector wheel on the back of the 6D. It certainly works, but it feels like something off of a £50 compact.

Last edited:
Yeah, it took Canon a lot longer than anyone else to come up with the idea of pinch-caps. Maybe one day they'll come up with an idea for a long tele-zoom which isn't white. Those are my two Canon pet hates, crap caps that cannot be removed/replaced with the hood on, and marmite white lenses.

edit: A third pet hate is the mushy multi-selector wheel on the back of the 6D. It certainly works, but it feels like something off of a £50 compact.

Most likely brilliant Canon marketing..but if I see a big lens in black...I think cheap! :wacky:

edit: sorry post in wrong thread!doh!

Guys, it might have been asked before but, serious question regarding focus points.

If I shoot in portrait mode, the is top focus point gets sharp enough photos in low light, or lock instantly? How is the accuracy?

Manualfocus it looks great. That what i was looking for exactly. Just bought 6D for weddings, only because its low iso performance. Seems to be great.

Most likely brilliant Canon marketing..but if I see a big lens in black...I think cheap! :wacky:
Despite owning several, I do think white lenses look tacky. Sure, Pro's and enthusiasts respect them, but to most people they look like gold wheels on a Mondeo.

had my 6d a couple weeks and i love it!

20130531-IMG_1505-2.jpg

Just for fun I put my EF-S 10-22 on 6D, and i found it to be great FF UWA zoom LOL. From 15mm there in no blackening in corners and it very sharp in most of the frame. Corners are soft and CA and dark, but it's free from linear distortions.
I will test more outside, but probably will keep it for emergency UWA use.
Here's at 15mm, it doesn't vignette as bad as it looks there are shadows on the walls.

IMG_0612 by nigi73, on Flickr

I've still got mine which I still use with 7D however I thought there was meant to be a problem using EF-S lenses on FF bodies, i.e., something to do with back of lens hitting mirror when zooming? :shrug:

I've still got mine which I still use with 7D however I thought there was meant to be a problem using EF-S lenses on FF bodies, i.e., something to do with back of lens hitting mirror when zooming? :shrug:

Yes there is problem, you can not mount them even without removing plastic ring from lens mount (it's reversible) and then do not zoom out wider then approx 13mm because mirror would hit :bang:into protruding lens element causing error99 and possible damage to the lens/mirror.
Still worth to try if you have the lens and can't step back any more to take the picture IMO.
Just be careful with a zoom ring if you want to try, but if you have still 7D I see no point in risking.

About the camera, I LOVE it!
Upgraded from 20D so quite a few generations of technology development and all this small changes summed up during last nearly 10 years + FF sensor= massive step forward.
I miss only joystick, but getting used to the pad. Anyway mostly I use central focus point.
I like new button layout it's great for shooting with eye next to viewfinder and left hand on lens with right able to reach all the necessary buttons.
Love customisable auto ISO. Finally camera smart enough to leave full manual mode and shoot in A with minimal ss set and auto ISO + exposure compensation when required.
Love LCD for checking images and 100% zoom to focal point with one click.
Love live view.
No need for movies, gps wi-fi could be better/simpler.
And most of all Love IQ, bokeh and high ISO!
I even did not lost much reach for wildlife because pixel size is similar to 8mp 20D, so after cropping I am left with similar pixel density on target.
I bought precision matte focus screen and will look into manual focus fast portrait lens like some vintage 50 f1.4, 128 f2-2.8, 85 1.4 rokinon maybe?
But I need to recover after the blow to the wallet from 6D kit first :(

Back