Eos 6d Owners Thread!

no idea mate, I got it very recently but it could be older. it works fine with the latest expro but I guess that must have a chip in it as it shows up fine in the cameras menu.
edit; the camera seems to think this is a real one-no message to say otherwise at least
Does it play ball with the canon charger?

I only use original Canon batteries in my 6D, but I understand that the Olympus versions of those EXPro batteries will only reach full charge in the ExPro charger and similarly, the ExPro charger will not fully charge the Olympus original battery.
In other words, you need to use the charger that matches with the make of battery - not a big deal since the ExPro chargers are pretty cheap.

I only use original Canon batteries in my 6D, but I understand that the Olympus versions of those EXPro batteries will only reach full charge in the ExPro charger and similarly, the ExPro charger will not fully charge the Olympus original battery.
In other words, you need to use the charger that matches with the make of battery - not a big deal since the ExPro chargers are pretty cheap.
not the case for me, its fully charging

no idea mate, but if needed the expro or similar charger isn't expensive. I will update how good the battery is on return from my trip-drop me a message if I forget!

no idea mate, but if needed the expro or similar charger isn't expensive. I will update how good the battery is on return from my trip-drop me a message if I forget!
just a quick update if your still after the info. o uote myself aboca. batts working well so far i i ok 700 pics today and still had 43 capasty remaining

just a quick update if your still after the info. o uote myself aboca. batts working well so far i i ok 700 pics today and still had 43 capasty remaining
Let us know what it's like in 2 year's time. My original Canon 6D battery is still going strong after 4 years.

Let us know what it's like in 2 year's time. My original Canon 6D battery is still going strong after 4 years.
What, and you haven't needed to charge it?![emoji6]

Difficult to test these third party items, I don't have 4 years.

Anyway, having been out a few times now, I'm very happy to be back in 1000shot battery life territory, coming from Fuji XP2. Standby consumption is non-existent, as opposed to accidently triggering the evf to wake up which was a common occurrence on mirrorless.

Snip:
What, and you haven't needed to charge it?![emoji6]

Well, I don't get out as much as I used to. ;)

Joking aside, I'd rather pay the extra and have a genuine battery. As the saying goes, the quality is often remembered long after the price has been forgotten.

Last edited:
Snip:

Well, I don't get out as much as I used to. ;)

Joking aside, I'd rather pay the extra and have a genuine battery. As the saying goes, the quality is often remembered long after the price has been forgotten.
It'll be a bitter pill to swallow, but having taken 400 shots over three trips out, I think I'll only be needing one spare. Buying genuine makes more sense in that context.

My 6d is old now and uses 3rd party batteries no problem. I only have 1 original and 1 3rd party both work equally as well.

Gaz

tbh as its got a 2 year warranty anyway. if it lasts that long its fine. price is so much cheaper than canon original.

I bought three 3rd party high-capacity batteries for the Sony camcorders I use for work, the oldest one of the batch will be about 2 years old, and the others slightly less than that. One of them has already failed and won't finish charging, and the other two give noticeably less recording time than the equivalent Sony high-capacity batteries I have. I was going to replace it with another 3rd party battery as they are much cheaper than a new Sony one... however, I spotted a used Sony battery on eBay for about £6 more than the 3rd party one, so I took a chance and bought that instead. It charged perfectly and gives the same life as the other OEM ones I have. So you pays your money and you makes your choice.

Go on, I'll join in with one. Taken at a local village show; I enjoy doing a bit of documentary style photography with my 6D, exploring what I think is the rather rich and varied (and sometimes slightly quirky) way of traditional British life.

Well its certainly very colorful , I like it.
Thanks, it's down to a technique I learned from watching Martin Parr. Using a speedlite fitted with a dome type diffuser as fill-in flash tends to saturate the colours, while avoiding harsh shadows and giving a slightly 'larger than life' picture postcard type feel to the image, which I think suits this type of shot.

These older models don't get enough love, so here's a vid for you 6D users: A wedding photographer who still uses 2x 6D today, one clocked to 900K! That is impressive. I mean, he shoots 8K images per wedding which seems a bit overkill, but he's doing something right. He also claims he has never once needed to clean the sensors on either body and has never had so much as a dust bunny, also impressive:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqHK7I3buRk

But they don't have dual card slots. How unprofessional of him.

:banana:

He talks about that actually :D says he's never had one card fail in the years he's had them. Pretty impressive though eh? 900K shots on one body. And we moan when we're buying used if a camera has over 10K :D

He talks about that actually :D says he's never had one card fail in the years he's had them. Pretty impressive though eh? 900K shots on one body. And we moan when we're buying used if a camera has over 10K :D

reality check eh.

reality check eh.

I remember when selling my D800 the first question was in the shutter count. It was 28K and that turned many potential buyers off, even though I made it plain that it was 4 years old. The guy who eventually bought it thought that was nothing for that length of time, and considered the camera in excellent nick (he came to view before committing to buy)

I just updated from 6D to 6Dii.
IQ is about the same but I wanted the articulating screen.

It's like updating the firmware on anything else. Fully charged battery and follow the instructions... You're copying a file onto an SD card & selecting a menu item not launching a moonshot...

It's like updating the firmware on anything else. Fully charged battery and follow the instructions... You're copying a file onto an SD card & selecting a menu item not launching a moonshot...

I suppose s/he was just asking if anyone had actually done it, not how to do it..........

yes, i was wondering if it brought anything useful? I updated my 7D and that brought a good few extras but having looked into it i'm not sure i'll bother just yet.

yes, i was wondering if it brought anything useful? I updated my 7D and that brought a good few extras but having looked into it i'm not sure i'll bother just yet.
I'd be interested in knowing that too. I've never updated mine as I've been happy with the image quality and look and didn't want to risk changing that, so confirmation as to whether or not the images still look as nice after the update would be good. :)

I only bought my 6D Mk2 earlier this year, so it came with v1.0.4 firmware already installed.

I only bought my 6D Mk2 earlier this year, so it came with v1.0.4 firmware already installed.
It's always good to get a nice fresh one when you buy a camera, so I'm pleased your 6D II carried the latest firmware. Hope you enjoy using it. (y)

No disrespect, patronisation or offence meant at all (as some people have mentioned the 6D II in the posts above) but this is a thread dedicated to the original 6D (Mk 1). I'm not trying to be 'mark-ist' (if that description even exists o_O) but if we don't keep to some classification in the various forum sections then it's probably going to get rather confusing for anyone wanting to find information about a specific make or model of camera. Thought I'd better mention that as I believe a 6D II thread exists on the TP forum.

Last edited:
Back