Eos 6d Owners Thread!

Doesn't look like there are any major additions, just little fixes.

One thing I've found from my day job in IT over the last 25 years : manufacturer release notes are rarely if ever complete. (Applies to software, firmware, BIOS, drivers on PC, PBX, Routers, Switches, Firewalls,... See no earthly reason it won't also apply to cameras)

It's always good to get a nice fresh one when you buy a camera, so I'm pleased your 6D II carried the latest firmware. Hope you enjoy using it. (y)

No disrespect, patronisation or offence meant at all (as some people have mentioned the 6D II in the posts above) but this is a thread dedicated to the original 6D (Mk 1). I'm not trying to be 'mark-ist' (if that description even exists o_O) but if we don't keep to some classification in the various forum sections then it's probably going to get rather confusing for anyone wanting to find information about a specific make or model of camera. Thought I'd better mention that as I believe a 6D II thread exists on the TP forum.
Thats strange.
Looking under the "All the Camera Owners Threads" I can only see 6D listed, and not a separate forum for the Mk2.
Other models, such as the 5D and 7D have separate forums for different Mk's, but there doesn't seem to be one listed for the 6D Mk2.
Speaking from experience, the two versions are so similar, I cannot see the point of a separate forum and I don't see it as being a source of confusion.

Thats strange.
Looking under the "All the Camera Owners Threads" I can only see 6D listed, and not a separate forum for the Mk2.
Other models, such as the 5D and 7D have separate forums for different Mk's, but there doesn't seem to be one listed for the 6D Mk2.
Speaking from experience, the two versions are so similar, I cannot see the point of a separate forum and I don't see it as being a source of confusion.
It's catered for in the following thread: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/canon-eos-6d-mk2-owners-thread.656751/

So let's keep this thread for the original 6D, which, without a flip out screen and duel pixel stuff is pretty much a totally different camera, despite the results from it allegedly being fairly similar to that of the 6D II. We'll all know where we are then, and 6D owners won't have to sift through a probably increasing amount of posts about the 6D II to find something relevant to their camera. (y)

In fact, perhaps one of the moderators can add the 6D Mk2 thread above to the All Camera Owners Threads? @Cobra @TheBigYin ?

Last edited:
friends neighbour ,wedding tog selling his Canon 6d for £195 ,its done just over 200000 shots,worth the risk,my daughter wants me to gether a camera but im thinkin she may suit a mirrorless smaller cam better but ive had 2 6ds and liked them a lot.?

friends neighbour ,wedding tog selling his Canon 6d for £195 ,its done just over 200000 shots,worth the risk,my daughter wants me to gether a camera but im thinkin she may suit a mirrorless smaller cam better but ive had 2 6ds and liked them a lot.?
The 6D is a great camera and I like mine a lot, but 200,000 shutter activations is a lot, and in addtion to that, there must be other reasons he is selling.
I can't help thinking that paying a bit more for a new camera with a warranty might be a better approach.
If your daughter is a novice, does she really need a camera with interchangeable lenses?
There are some excellent advanced compacts available which might be more appropriate for someone who is starting out.

£195 for full frame isn't bad at all is it. Stick a nifty 50 on it for about £250 it's worth the risk imo

£195 for full frame isn't bad at all is it. Stick a nifty 50 on it for about £250 it's worth the risk imo
The price wouldn't look so good if it needed £300 worth of repairs.
A quick look at the Canon repair centre website reveals a charge of £230 + VAT to replace the shutter on a 6D, but that may only be part of the story if it should fail.
The shutter on the 6D is only rated for 100,000 activations, so at double that figure, you're living on borrowed time...

thanks for all the replies.,i told her weeks ago to nip into currys and try a few,she hasnt yet ,ill be interested how she finds the difference.my thinking was shes always taking selfies lol as per

The price wouldn't look so good if it needed £300 worth of repairs.
A quick look at the Canon repair centre website reveals a charge of £230 + VAT to replace the shutter on a 6D, but that may only be part of the story if it should fail.
The shutter on the 6D is only rated for 100,000 activations, so at double that figure, you're living on borrowed time...

In reality they last for a long time.
How much is the camera going to be used? Its a calculated risk.

The 6D is a very good camera and, for what they go for in good condition with low-ish shutter counts these days, I doubt there's much better value for a full frame DSLR.

NB Just had an email from Canon today reminding me to update the software (firmware) to take care of a potential security issue with the WiFi connection (which I knew about via this forum anyway) ... not that I've ever used that on mine. Just shows they care about old customers though, as mine was bought new in 2014, so fair play to them.

Is this thread for the mk 2 as well ?
Anyway I've just bought a mk2 my first full frame second hand from hdew really exited about it nipping out today to give it a try

Is this thread for the mk 2 as well ?
Anyway I've just bought a mk2 my first full frame second hand from hdew really exited about it nipping out today to give it a try
No, the Mk2 has its own thread as it's quite a different design (similar results though) but I hope you enjoy it. :)

Made the jump from crop to FF earlier this year and thought that a 6D for £500 was too good to pass up. The 5D2 was a bit too old and 5D3 was more that I was willing to pay for a used body.

Noticed that +2/3 exp comp ensures that the histogram is more accurate than using the centre point on the meter. Images were always underexposed otherwise

just wish that I could use it in anger but those days will come

Back