EOS 7D - Hints And Tips.

It's under C.Fn III-1 iirc.

Has anyone set C.Fn III-3 to 1 to allow continuous AF tracking priority on moving objects?

No probs!

Hoping to get out with mine tomorrow. Just sussing out the AF tracking etc myself.

Anyone got any tips? The AF Point Expansion looks like the best AF mode for birds and other moving objects, from what I've read.

That's how I have mine set for birrds at the moment. I wonder what zone would be like against a plain blue sky though, don't tend to see them much. :D

Thanks Ken. Yes, blue skies are very rare at the moment!

I think I'll try these settings tomorrow:

AI Servo
AF Point Expansion
C.Fn III - 1 AI Servo tracking sensitivity - Slow
C.Fn III - 2 AI Servo 1st/2nd image priority - 0
C.Fn III - 3 AI Servo AF tracking Method - 1

I think it is also possible to select the starting AF point when in AI Servo mode?

The thing to remember is that blur due to shake, subject motion, diffraction, etc on a higher-density sensor can't give you a worse image than on a low-density sensor. If you print the images the same size then the blur will be the same size. It's only if you insist on pixel-peeping that you'll spot the differences. But final images (which are, after all, what we should be interested in) will look the same.

And, if your optics and technique are good enough, the higher-density sensor should show more detail. That's why it's important that reviews do use good glass and good technique. Examining 100% crops of images shot at f16 (as one famous photographer did in his review <cough> wiggett <cough>) is bound to do the 7D a disservice.

Quoted for truth.

I haven't tried a 7D yet but looking at shots on the net one thing that strikes me is the noise. Look at the noise in the 100% crop of the bird here -

http://canonfieldreviews.com/canon-7d-3-autofocus/

That looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaay noisier than my 20D at ISO 400. The higher ISO's look ok but the lower ones look a bit of a shock.

What do you guys think about 7D noise?

I haven't tried a 7D yet but looking at shots on the net one thing that strikes me is the noise. Look at the noise in the 100% crop of the bird here -

That looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaay noisier than my 20D at ISO 400. The higher ISO's look ok but the lower ones look a bit of a shock.

but a 100% crop of a 20d image is not a 7d 100% crop

more pixels in the same space make 100% crops much much tighter, might even be more comparable to a 400% crop (work out the numbers to what it compares to)

I know it isn't so I zoomed in further and the 7D deffo shows more noise, no matter how much I zoom in.

Could you post the same from your 20d so we can all see? Looking at other ISO comparison web sites the 20d doesn't look any better to me. I need convincing! ;)

Canon EOS magazine drew my attention to a custom function that lets you select a different AF point (or zone) for horizontal and vertical camera orientation.

Very useful as it saves changing AF point when you change camera from landscape to portrait and vice versa.

Custom Function III-12 set mode to 1! RTFM on how to register different AF points for each 'camera way up'

the 7d isnt really that noisy, the 100% pixel-peeping with these new cameras is going to show noise, what counts is the final print. try and avoid live view, as using that causes heat in the sensor which in turn causes noise. A lot of internet reviews which show noise have been done with liveview, which just makes it worse.

Some useful tips that I have unashamedly stolen from another thread on here (kudos to swag72):

Settings

A good guide, but I'd have to disagree with the recommendation to set the colour space to Adobe RGB. If you're not familiar with how to use different colour spaces correctly then this could cause some major problems (washed out colours being the most obvious).

Besides, if you shoot in raw (as recommended) then the colour space can be (must be) chosen in post-processing.

the 7d isnt really that noisy, the 100% pixel-peeping with these new cameras is going to show noise, what counts is the final print. try and avoid live view, as using that causes heat in the sensor which in turn causes noise. A lot of internet reviews which show noise have been done with liveview, which just makes it worse.

thats a good point matty, I use live view a lot and hadn't considered those implications

"Could you post the same from your 20d so we can all see? Looking at other ISO comparison web sites the 20d doesn't look any better to me. I need convincing..."

No problem, but as it's me with the 20D thinking about possibly buying a newer camera it's me that needs convincing rather than you...

Zooming in way past 100% until things pixelate still doesn't make the noise as obvious as in some of the 7D shots posted on the net IMVHO. I'd agree that the higher ISO images do look good but with images on the net it's impossible to know exactly what post processing has been done so I just will not know if I'll be happy with lower ISO 7D images until I try one and see the results on my own pc.

Whole image...and this is typical of the noise I see on ISO 400 images, there's nothing too special about this one.

iso400.jpg

100% and remembering that zooming in doesn't make more noise visible.

iso400-100.jpg

"This is a hints and tips thread. Why don't you take it outside"

I'm not trolling, just asking a question which I thought was appropriate to this thread. If asking about noise and what 7D owners think (and I was hoping for opinion and insight) isn't allowed I'll leave the thread alone. :thinking:

"This is a hints and tips thread. Why don't you take it outside"

I'm not trolling, just asking a question which I thought was appropriate to this thread. If asking about noise and what 7D owners think (and I was hoping for opinion and insight) isn't allowed I'll leave the thread alone. :thinking:

You are of course at liberty to start your own thread to debate if the noise is better on a 7D than a 20D but if you think doing it here will help 7D owners get the best out of their cameras then carry on I suppose...

Hmmm. Potential owners not really welcome? This place turning into DP Review?? 20D v 7D wasn't really my question, I was interested in what 7D owners think and how they deal with noise.

I'll leave you to it thanks. :|

Hmmm. Potential owners not really welcome? This place turning into DP Review?? 20D v 7D wasn't really my question, I was interested in what 7D owners think and how they deal with noise.

I'll leave you to it thanks. :|

I'm just saying that a drawn out discussion on whether the noise is better or worse than the 20D is not a hint or a tip! Try the Handbag owners thread ;)

(that is a joke by the way!)

All jon is saying is that your question is off topic. This thread is about hints and tips not how the 7d performs. Your question is valid but not in this thread, start a new thread. I'll be happy to post in it

asking about noise and what 7D owners think (and I was hoping for opinion and insight)

Compared to my previous 400D I am really happy with the 7D ISO performance. On my 400D I was unhappy going going higher than ISO 400 unless post processing was minimal when I would risk 800. 1600 was truly really bad!

7D ISO1600 - happy with this...

7D ISO 2000 - happy with this...

IMG_9743.jpg

Does it compare to other Nikon, Canon and other makes. No idea :shrug:

It does look a little noisy at 100% but I don't care. At resolutions I care about - usually big enough to print at A3 it's fine and not noticeable. :love:

I'm with you on that one Freester. I've also upgraded from a 400D and have found the extra ISO performance to be fantastic. I say 'upgrade' as it is an upgrade from an xxxD to a 7D, rather than a xxD to a 7D, which is more of an update. If you get what I mean! (it's getting late lol!)

Back on topic: I find setting C.Fn III-7 set to 1 to be quite handy. This allows the AF point selection to wrap around to the other side of the viewfinder rather than stopping at the edge. Works horizontally and vertically.

Also, if you press the joystick in the center it will center the AF point in the viewfinder.

"This thread is about hints and tips not how the 7d performs."

Hints and tips on handling noise not covered though? I'll make my own mind up when I try one I suppose.

Sorry I bothered you all....it will not happen again. :nono:

"This thread is about hints and tips not how the 7d performs."

Hints and tips on handling noise not covered though? I'll make my own mind up when I try one I suppose.

Sorry I bothered you all....it will not happen again. :nono:

Anyone have a tiny violin?

Lol

Back on topic: I find setting C.Fn III-7 set to 1 to be quite handy. This allows the AF point selection to wrap around to the other side of the viewfinder rather than stopping at the edge. Works horizontally and vertically.

Nice tip. Missed that one in the manual :)

[/QUOTE]I find setting C.Fn III-7 set to 1 to be quite handy. This allows the AF point selection to wrap around to the other side of the viewfinder rather than stopping at the edge. Works horizontally and vertically.

Also, if you press the joystick in the center it will center the AF point in the viewfinder.[/QUOTE]

For me, one of the best tips so far!

I allready have the canon software loaded onto my laptop which came with the 450d,I am assuming the software that came with the 7D is the same so dosent need to loaded to my pc,
regards john.

The one with the 7D is the newer version. And unless you upgrade regulary you will need to use the new cd

I allready have the canon software loaded onto my laptop which came with the 450d,I am assuming the software that came with the 7D is the same so dosent need to loaded to my pc,
regards john.

You really should load the new software John, its been updated with the 7D drivers, and since I had my 7D, there has been an on line update that needs to be downloaded.

The Integrated Flash Transmitter works very well, and has a better range than a STE-2 , it also works with earlier EX speedlights, (580/430) as well as the MKII versions.

You can't wirelessly control the settings and functions of the individual speedlights from the camera's menu screen with the earlier speedlights (as you can with MKII versions), but the ability to remotely control, and adjust the power ratios between the speedlights is retained.

BTW, I submitted a short review of the 7D here:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=2478655#post2478655

The Custom Controls settings look like they could very useful. I've set the AF Stop button on my 300 f2.8 to switch between AI Focus and One Shot. I'm not keen on having AF on the * button so this change means I can leave it in AIF mode all the time and just press the button on the lens if I want One Shot.
I would not recommend using A1focus.:D

I would not recommend using A1focus.:D

Agreed - use A1 Servo instead. A1 Focus is a sort of combination of Single Shot and Servo modes, where the camera is supposed to be able to switch to servo mode if a subject suddenly starts moving and to be predictive with regard to the direction and speed of subject movement.

It sounds great, but in practice it's totally inreliable.I don't know why Canon insist on continuing to provide the function on cameras. It speaks volumes that Canon don't provide A1 Focus on the 1 Series bodies.

Back