Not open for further replies.

Wheels

Julian Keeler
Name
Julian
Edit My Images
No
AIM_1210-2.jpg

The first question that spings to mind is how the hell did you get your wheelchair in the rapreseed field to be able to take this shot?

My only other observation is that it's a shame that there is green behind her head. I think it would have been more pleasing to have her fully surrounded by the yellow.

-Rob- said:
The first question that spings to mind is how the hell did you get your wheelchair in the rapreseed field to be able to take this shot?

My only other observation is that it's a shame that there is green behind her head. I think it would have been more pleasing to have her fully surrounded by the yellow.

To the 1st I think it's kinda obvious the same way the model got there "down a path" or are wheelchairs not meant to get down footpaths?

I like this, but I'd go for a bit tighter crop , I don't think you need the sky, so I'd crop to just below the sky line.

But I do like where you are going with this.

Wheels said:
To the 1st I think it's kinda obvious the same way the model got there "down a path" or are wheelchairs not meant to get down footpaths?

I'm sure there are slightly less arsey ways to answer my question but I guess all the vital info is there the way you said it.

I'm sure there are slightly less arsey ways to answer my question but I guess all the vital info is there the way you said it.

Not arsey just sick of bloody stupid questions like how I get somewhere.

I don't like the square crop as it ruins the thirds in the background, chop some off the top so that the rape is 2/3 up the frame.

Skin is a bit hot in places but I quite like it.

ps...stop being grumpy!

I like it :)
Don't mean to detract from the great pic but I don't think he's being grumpy, in a wheelchair doesn't mean totally unable to do things and it must be very frustrating when a question is asked like that. I'm sure no offence was meant by any party here including me ;)
Anyway, back to the photo, i too would crop some of the top off, also it would look even better with yellow petals falling around her,
Atb
Cliff

Great picture (although I agree it would be even better if you crop off the top 25% or so)!

I took similar photos of my missus in a oil seed rape field over the weekend, but just got pictures of her squinting due to the sun. I didn't think to ask her to just close her eyes. :bonk:

right, i am not in a position to really comment on it, but i am going to, and apologies if anyone gets upset.........

The picture - I like it - would agree with cropping off the top to make it more landscape... or you could go the other way and go for the more traditional portrait....

As to how Wheels got there, i think it a valid question, as most farm footpaths etc are not overly wheelchair / scooter friendly... (in my experience)

Either way, he got there and i assume got out again, and it's a pretty nice pic...(y)

Got to agree with what's been said already, a tighter crop and tone down the highlights and it's a really nice shot, ya grumpy old git :razz:

Lynton said:
As to how Wheels got there, i think it a valid question, as most farm footpaths etc are not overly wheelchair / scooter friendly... (in my experience)

Very valid question and the response was out of order and arsey!!!!

The reason I asked is because I was in a rapeseed field on Sunday and I struggled to get to where I wanted to be and I'm not restricted by a wheelchair. It's not my fault if you get asked a similar question on a regular basis, I only asked it once.

Can we stick to the topic of what y'all think of the photo? :)

Last edited:
i agree that a landscape crop would work slightly better, but overall really like this good job(y)

Right here is the bloody path,
AIM_1145.jpg

I am sick of the ****ing STUPID questions, I dont ask how you get somewhere or did something. What you lot did for me was bloody wonderful but it doesn't give you the right to get me to justify how or where I took images from. I wont be on here for a while. Really sick of having to account for things I do with the small minded few on here.

AIM_1145.jpg

I am sick of the ****ing STUPID questions, I dont ask how you get somewhere or did something. What you lot did for me was bloody wonderful but it doesn't give you the right to get me to justify how or where I took images from. I wont be on here for a while. Really sick of having to account for things I do with the small minded few on here.

Meoooowwww.

I hope you come back in a better mood.

He's made a fair point! Why has he been asked about wheelchair access? It has nothing to do with the picture! People need to engage brain before mouth and consider the responses to the questions being asked! If you where interested you should have said "Oh, was it far from the path?" or "Great location, can you show us pictures of access to the field"! I would be furious if someone asked that question in this forum!

He's made a fair point! Why has he been asked about wheelchair access? It has nothing to do with the picture! People need to engage brain before mouth and consider the responses to the questions being asked! If you where interested you should have said "Oh, was it far from the path?" or "Great location, can you show us pictures of access to the field"! I would be furious if someone asked that question in this forum!

If you read post #13 you will see why Rob asked the question. What is wrong with asking questions and as a wise man once said.....'There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers'

tiler65 said:
If you read post #13 you will see why Rob asked the question. What is wrong with asking questions and as a wise man once said.....'There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers'

No, that's a stupid question. Rob wanted to know how a wheelchair got in a field when a pair of legs would have trouble!!!! He got there because he's a photographer who wanted to get the shot. Hell, I'm sure he would have crawled from his wheelchair and got the shot. The point is its an offensive question. Create a forum for Disabled Friendly Access and ask the question there!

No, that's a stupid question. Rob wanted to know how a wheelchair got in a field when a pair of legs would have trouble!!!! He got there because he's a photographer who wanted to get the shot. Hell, I'm sure he would have crawled from his wheelchair and got the shot. The point is its an offensive question. Create a forum for Disabled Friendly Access and ask the question there!

How is it offensive?

Edit, offensive and ignorance of a fact are two different things.

Last edited:
tiler65 said:
How is it offensive?

Edit, offensive and ignorance of a fact are two different things.

How is it offensive? Because he didn't ask for comments on his wheelchair! He asked for an opinion on his photo! And no, they are NOT two different things! This is a photo critique forum. Nothing else! Stupid questions that seem to have no meaning to the asker can be seriously offensive.

How is it offensive? Because he didn't ask for comments on his wheelchair!

I arranged a photoshoot last year to which Julian was invited. His response to the invite was "What is the access like? Is it wheelchair friendly?" I wasn't offended that Julian asked me that question. I didn't respond with an arsey answer such as "why does it matter what the access is like? I'll just walk up the stairs like any normal human being". I just answered the question that was being asked.

If an able bodied persion took a photo from a position that was unusually hard to get to then I may ask the same question of them. The fact that Julian is in a wheelchair is irrelevant as to whether my question was offensive or not. What Julian took offense to was that he had heard the question many times in the past. Julian needs to come to terms with the fact that him being in a wheelchair makes him different, it makes his access to places different and as such people rightly treat him different. If he doesn't like that then it's his problem not mine.

No offense was intended at all but it was clearly taken. :bang:

How is it offensive? Because he didn't ask for comments on his wheelchair! He asked for an opinion on his photo! And no, they are NOT two different things! This is a photo critique forum. Nothing else! Stupid questions that seem to have no meaning to the asker can be seriously offensive.
It is not even you so how do you know it is offensive? You are surmising that it is.

Read post 13 again, it never mentions a pair of legs!!!

Very nice shot, like the DoF.
But as already said if the model had been a bit further to the left away from the hedge it would have looked better.

re the question asking how you got there i feel it was valid, one would gather he knows your in a wheel chair or why else would he ask.
But i also understand the OP as he has asked for CC on his photo.

Last edited:
I have to admit that how Julian got into the field, if indeed he did, was not a thought that crossed my mind. However, having seen the question asked, I did think "Blimey! How did he get in there?" The shot itself leads you to think that the girl is deep inside the field and there appears to be no visual reference as to how far in she actually is. It is very likely that she was just inside and Julian used equipment able to capture her from the path, but we're not to know that. Had I considered all this instead of thinking how good the shot was albeit a bit too much yellow, I too would have asked the same question. More from a point of saying "Good to see you getting into situations most would right you off from". So from my perspective it was a valid question and although I now see it from Julian's point to some degree, he did and has become "arsey" over it.

Julian, if you're still in here, I do respect your feelings and can see to some extent why it is that you're upset. If anything I have said above upsets you, I wholeheartedly apologise, it is not my intent. But that said, although it seems you feel as though you are a fully able bodied person (obviously I don't know you personally and why you are in your chair) and should be treated as such, people in general will always see the wheelchair and... There are, however, always exceptions to the rule hence VP_Studio's comments. Either that or they fancy and argument today :naughty:

As for the photo, which sadly now seems to be playing second fiddle to this discussion, I think it's a good shot; fresh and vibrant. Although as I said there appears a little too much yellow for my taste.

Right, can we draw a line under the wheelchair issue before it starts to get out of hand please?

As with all photos put up for critique, it's perfectly valid to ask a photographer about the location, how they got there and how they managed to achieve the shot.
Rob, in this case however, I think your question could have been phrased better. What I'm sure was meant as genuine interest and/or light hearted banter doesn't necessarily read quite that way on the forum . . . and when these things are related to something in a poster's personal life they can clearly cause offence.

Julian, Yep - I completely understand that it gets very tiresome being asked the same question again and again and I can imagine that it must wind you up feeling that you're being judged on how you managed to do something rather than the end result itself. I do think that you may be interpreting something in Rob's post that he never intended to be there though and it would be a great shame if you feel the need to stay away from the forum because of it.

Everyone else, stick to discussing the photo please (which I actually rather like, but I'd agree with the crop suggestions)
No need for any lynch mobs. Rob and Julian are both big enough to decide whether to kiss and make up or just move on from this - and they both know where the RTM triangle is if they feel it needs further attention.

Right, can we draw a line under the wheelchair issue before it starts to get out of hand please?

As with all photos put up for critique, it's perfectly valid to ask a photographer about the location, how they got there and how they managed to achieve the shot.
Rob, in this case however, I think your question could have been phrased better. What I'm sure was meant as genuine interest and/or light hearted banter doesn't necessarily read quite that way on the forum . . . and when these things are related to something in a poster's personal life they can clearly cause offence.

Julian, Yep - I completely understand that it gets very tiresome being asked the same question again and again and I can imagine that it must wind you up feeling that you're being judged on how you managed to do something rather than the end result itself. I do think that you may be interpreting something in Rob's post that he never intended to be there though and it would be a great shame if you feel the need to stay away from the forum because of it.

Everyone else, stick to discussing the photo please (which I actually rather like, but I'd agree with the crop suggestions)
No need for any lynch mobs. Rob and Julian are both big enough to decide whether to kiss and make up or just move on from this - and they both know where the RTM triangle is if they feel it needs further attention.

Sorry Mum! :D

AIM_1145.jpg

I actually REALLY like this picture showing the path! I love the perspective. Lose the chaps (sorry chaps) and it's an absolute corker!

Btw, I can see why Julian got upset by the question. Yes, people on the forum really came together and did a fabulous thing in providing him with some super equipment, and he has been and is very grateful. But it must feel almost as though he owes something to people on the forum, as he is often asked to justify things. People gave willingly and Julian is extremely grateful, but we shouldn't keep asking him to explain things. His continued membership on the forum, and seeing his great pictures is surely enough.

In any case, the geography/topography of two different farmers' fields can be as different as different can be, so just because one rape seed field was difficult to access, doesn't mean another one will be.

Come back please Julian!

Mrs Cowasaki said:
I actually REALLY like this picture showing the path! I love the perspective. Lose the chaps (sorry chaps) and it's an absolute corker!

Btw, I can see why Julian got upset by the question. Yes, people on the forum really came together and did a fabulous thing in providing him with some super equipment, and he has been and is very grateful. But it must feel almost as though he owes something to people on the forum, as he is often asked to justify things. People gave willingly and Julian is extremely grateful, but we shouldn't keep asking him to explain things. His continued membership on the forum, and seeing his great pictures is surely enough.

In any case, the geography/topography of two different farmers' fields can be as different as different can be, so just because one rape seed field was difficult to access, doesn't mean another one will be.

Come back please Julian!

Sorry Helen but that's just ridiculous. What the members bought Julian has absolutely nothing to do with the question I asked.

If Julian is genuinely sick of people asking such questions then maybe it's best if he didn't come back. He's in that chair for life, it's part of him, it's part of his photography. He really needs to get used to it and not kick up a fuss any time anyone mentions it.

Nothing I've said has been offensive or derogatory towards Julian. He's just a grumpy old git!!!!

If access wasn't an issue, maybe move closer to the middle of the field so you haven't got the hedge in shot.

Last edited:
If Julian is genuinely sick of people asking such questions then maybe it's best if he didn't come back. He's in that chair for life, it's part of him, it's part of his photography. He really needs to get used to it and not kick up a fuss any time anyone mentions it.

Pretty easy to just say that - I'm not sure it's your place (or anybody elses) to pass comment on what's best regarding whether he comes back or not.

Nothing I've said has been offensive or derogatory towards Julian. He's just a grumpy old git!!!!

I thought your original question was fair but you're quite close with this latest post.

As a severely disabled person myself I can categorically say that the question was not offensive in intent or content, and as an ex public rights of way officer I sure as hell understand where he was coming from in reference to the state of a large number of our public rights of way, especially on field boundaries.

Being disabled doesn't give us the right to jump on someone just because we are fed up of answering questions pertaining to our disability and doesn't make someone wrong for asking them.

Did anybody actually read Sarah's post?

For the last time - please bring the discussion back to the photography and drop the issue of Julian's wheelchair.

Thank you.

Sorry Helen but that's just ridiculous. What the members bought Julian has absolutely nothing to do with the question I asked.

Sorry Grendel, but I'd just like to apologise to Rob. Epic fail on my part. I should refrain from writing posts when I'm too tired to remember something I wanted to say.

I meant to also say that I did NOT mean to direct my comments specifically at you Rob, as I know no offence was meant, nor alterior motives in asking the question you asked. I was merely trying to see it from Julian's position too - and plain forgot to say that I was generalising and that I knew you meant no harm. I guess my trying to see it from Julian's position, brought to mind a few people, who when TP decided to help out with his equipment, actually questioned whether or not he was disabled. Therefore, if a person questions how someone in a wheelchair could access a certain place (can't remember the exact words), then it COULD be perceived in a negative manner, with the questionee feeling the need to justify his position - if that makes any sense. I honestly did not mean it to sound personal. So, I apologise unreservedly. I'll shut up now.

Not arsey just sick of bloody stupid questions like how I get somewhere.

woah, really? Im not sure you will get far with an attitude like that but I guess I dont have to work with you.

As for the photo, her skin is very hot and OE, some of the forground rape is distracting as is the spec on the right of the picture. It also looks out of focus and right up her nose.

Apart from that im not a fan of the square crop, did she also have a headache because of the oil seed as the pose makes it look like she has one.

What I would do... drop a stop or two, clear forground, make into landscape, lower her forhead a bit but keep her on the side as I like negative space.

Anyway, thats just my opinion.

I can see why you ****ed him off, he was asking for critique on the image only

ktowers said:
I can see why you ****ed him off, he was asking for critique on the image only

I'm with you, thought the original question was totally irrelevant and patronising.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back