Euro 2016

All looking quite good, then .........sucker punch! :rolleyes:

We played well, but you can't dominate like that and not score 3-4 goals.

On the other issue I am sick, sick of idiots ruining football, sick of the media jumping to conclusions, firstly blaming all England fans until the real story comes out. Disgusted at the French policing, disgusted at the Russian organised hooligans, how could they not have been prepared for disorder in the current climate? Where were the police in the stadium? With the recent terrorism, how could they let anyone into the stadium with explosives?
Honestly - I'd like to see the England team pack up and p*** off home, it's poor organisation and we should protest by declining to take further part in the competition. I feel sorry for all the good people that have gone out there....

On a positive note, we are top of group B and our fans are (thus far) behaving themselves,life is good right now.

Sterling and Kane were awful, apart from the goal and one chance we didn't force their keeper into making a save.
Russian defence had the combined age of a dinosaur, so why not use the pace of Vardy to replace an off the pace Kane

With regards to the trouble I have watched England in Europe back in the very bad days late 70''s and early 80''s.
I was there at one particularly troubled match, yes bad things did happen, but some of the reporting was completely wrong and couldn't believe what was said when I got back home

So Russia "faces" disciplinary action from uefa. What about the England supporters? They behaved disgracefully as well from what was shown.

Shame it can't be just a normal football match.

Sterling and Kane were awful, apart from the goal and one chance we didn't force their keeper into making a save.
Russian defence had the combined age of a dinosaur, so why not use the pace of Vardy to replace an off the pace Kane

With regards to the trouble I have watched England in Europe back in the very bad days late 70''s and early 80''s.
I was there at one particularly troubled match, yes bad things did happen, but some of the reporting was completely wrong and couldn't believe what was said when I got back home

Were we watching the same game - their keeper made a number of saves, ok most were straight at him but it was the best tournament performance we have had for a while now. Passion and effort were there. Sterling was decent. Kane was a bit off though and Roy should have made changes around 60 mins, we were playing well but it just wasn't happening (this is where we should have had Townsend!), but replace Kane with Vardy and possibly throw Sturbridge on. We have options, use it!

Putting Milner on was stupid - all that does is say to Russia to come and have a go and that we will defend. As we know, that is not our strongest area. At 2 or 3 up fair enough but not with just 1.

So Russia "faces" disciplinary action from uefa. What about the England supporters? They behaved disgracefully as well from what was shown.

Shame it can't be just a normal football match.

UEFA can only take action against those FA's whose fans cause trouble inside the ground, not outside.
But agree that outside, the behaviour of not just some England fans, but French and Russians too is an absolute disgrace.

Were we watching the same game - their keeper made a number of saves, ok most were straight at him but it was the best tournament performance we have had for a while now. Passion and effort were there

Clear cut chances with a striker through on goal,no. Decent crosses from wide or the byeline, no. Good delivery from set pieces including corners, no. Passes that took defenders out, no, Taking players on and beating them, no (that doesn't include Sterling trying to nutmeg defenders for the umpteenth unsuccessful time)
Passion and effort are useless without goals or solid defending, daresay we came out on top with possession too, still only a draw though.
Substitutions were poor, occasional performer Jack Wilshire and the most appearances for England by a substitute Milner

We had a few snapshots against a very average side, yes first half was better than previous games at tournaments, that wouldn't be hard though.
Not at all confident of beating Wales or Slovakia for that matter, both have one top class player that could easily unlock our shaky defence

Plus point was our full backs getting forward especially Walker, more of that please, also thought Rooney and Lallana had decent enough games

One last point and something I really dislike seeing, nobody moving into space at a thrown in, happened numerous times yesterday.

Last edited:
Great practice for the French Police, (outside the ground), they must be loving it, they do train in a more "military" style than the Brits, but there is nothing like the real thing to sharpening up the wits

Nice bit of double pay overtime, time off in lieu

Bring in the CRS boys next, try out some new kit and get the water canons out and have some real fun

Last edited:
Having seen and read about the disturbances I really believe supporters lives could be at risk at the 2018 world cup

These Russian thugs are not the same as our loudmouth fools, far more dangerous and violent. Hearing from someone I know who is out there some were wearing body armour and carrying knives.

Sterling there was no end product, Kane had an off game as strikers do from time to time but why the heck was he taking corners, We are not gifted with tall men but Kane can bang them in with his head and should have been in the box not taking them. Dier 9 out 10 scores with his head from set pieces so I had a bet at 35/1 for him to score with a head last night then and goes and scores a scorcher from a free kick.

And spoil it for tens of millions? No way, just lock them up!
Ok happy to compromise on that; Siberian prison for four years?

It was good to see a half-competent display from England on Saturday, but it really strikes me that Roy Hodgson's tactical thinking is perhaps a bit muddled.

Why does Harry Kane take corners and indirect free kicks? He's the tallest guy in our team apart from the two centre backs, and quite useful in the air, so surely it would be a good idea to have him in the box instead of a midget like Raheem Sterling?

Still on the subject of Kane, he was probably the only guy in the team with a clinical predatory instinct, with the possible exception of Wayne Rooney - but Rooney is playing so deep he isn't going to get many opportunities in and around the box. So when Kane is clearly not having a good day at the office, why not bring on somebody else who has that predatory instinct? Vardy has it, Sturridge has it, Rashford seems to have it. We're not short of options. But how does Hodgson expect us to score goals if we don't have anyone who can capitalise on a half-chance?

And also, there were lots of approving noises when the team was announced, in basically a sort of 4-3-3 formation. A bit of respect to Hodgson there, even if he did blow it by taking off Rooney and bringing on Milner. But what I want to know is, if he thinks that's the way he wants to play, why didn't Andros Townsend make the squad? We only have one winger in the 23, and he had a bad day.

Let's hope he can get it right for the next match. But I'm really worried that he doesn't have any coherent plans.

just before England scored the commentator said "we deserve to be winning but we're not" - isn't that what is said every tournament - "cruel, bad luck, stolen" blah blah. its so boring. my hatred of commentators might also contribute to that. and their ability to start summing up the game before it ends and then someone scores a goal - jinx

Stalker alert, stalker alert, stalker alert!

So that's the end of the first round of matches, and we've had a massive 22 goals so far. Four matches have finished 1-0; three 1-1; three 2-0; and two 2-1. Yawn. Who'd have thought at the time that the Wales-Slovakia match was a comparative goal-fest!?

So far the average is only 1.83 goals per game, despite the loosened qualifying standards. By comparison Euro 2016 averaged 2. 45 per game, World Cup 2014 averaged 2.67 per game, and last season's Premier League averaged 2.70 per game.

So, in the first game against Russia, Hodgson left out Vardy (our best striker by far in the qualis and warmup matches), and we had the unbelievable sight of our "centre forward", Harry Kane taking corners?????
What fate awaits us against the Welsh team (who were great in their opening match) this afternoon?

So, in the first game against Russia, Hodgson left out Vardy (our best striker by far in the qualis and warmup matches), and we had the unbelievable sight of our "centre forward", Harry Kane taking corners?????
What fate awaits us against the Welsh team (who were great in their opening match) this afternoon?

I am very concerned. The Kane corner thing is a joke and we should do what other countries do, rotate the squad. Another big game on Monday so rest Kane and play vardy. Drop sterling and play Sturridge.

Well, putting on Vardy and Kane seemed to breathe new life into the England attack, and I also thought Rooney had probably the best game of his England career.

2 things I learned from this game:

1.Wales are still cr@p and
2. England still won't win a thing.

Poor keeping from Hart.
Terrible keeping from Hart, I also think he was at fault for the Russian goal being completely out of position.

Great spot by the linesman for Vardy's goal. I know officials get panned for mistakes but that was a great decision. He's not Russian is he :D

Sterling runs into walls 90% of the time. I can't work out why he starts. As soon as Vardy and Sturridge were on we were a different team. I wish Sturridge was a bit more of a team player though. Seems to go for glory on his own a lot.

As for winning it, why not? You need luck and confidence in these comps. That win might be the start of a snowball effect, or it might end up slush :)

England cut it fine but they deserved the win. Wales sat back too much, and ultimately got punished. Given they already had 3 points I'm surprised they didn't show more ambition/risk.

Vardy showed much more threat in his half than Kane did in 3. As much as you want to show faith in players, I think Vardy should start against Slovakia, and I think Sturridge earnt a start as well.

Hart is a worry. Our central defence isn't the best, and that won't be helped if they lose faith in the guy between the sticks. He needs a safe, solid game against Slovakia.

It was an infuriating game to watch. We dominated possession but, as soon as we got anywhere near the welsh penalty area, we hesitated and didn't seem to have a clue what to do next. This gave them the opportunity to set their defence and we then struggled to make any progress into a very crowded area. How many times did Kyle Walker get the ball down the right and then fanny around rather than whip crosses in?

As for Hart, I've never rated him. Both goals conceded would have been stopped by better keepers.

Vardy showed much more threat in his half than Kane did in 3. As much as you want to show faith in players, I think Vardy should start against Slovakia, and I think Sturridge earnt a start as well
I didn't see much premiership footie last season and I'm not a spurs fan so haven't seen Kane play but he has been a disappointment. He seemed a yard off the pace against Russia and I wondered if he was carrying an injury. Roy should have subbed him in that game.
What has happened to Sterling ? In his early days at Liverpool he was a breath of fresh air and a genuine threat.
Sterling is a victim of his own greed and over ambition, well his agents too. He should have stayed at Livepool where he had the perfect oportunity to develop into a top class player.

Back