Exif Reader

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I'm thinking about buying a used camera I've seen advertised locally.

"Been used half a dozen times"

Thought I could take my laptop along with me when viewing the camera, lets assume I won't have an internet connection, is there a prog I can download now to show me the shutter count when memory card is inserted?

Thanks.

Last edited:
what make of camera is it?
You can upload the latest RAW file to this: https://www.camerashuttercount.com/

And it'll give you the actuation count, this will not show anywhere in exif data It'll only work for Canon, Nikon, Pentax or Sony I bleieve

Last edited:
what make of camera is it?
You can upload the latest RAW file to this: https://www.camerashuttercount.com/

And it'll give you the actuation count, this will not show anywhere in exif data It'll only work for Canon, Nikon, Pentax or Sony I bleieve
Thanks Kieth but I'm thinking of meeting in a pub of cafe and I may not get internet connection easily, I didn't last time I tried. It's a canon. My desktop computer has Picasa3 and I view pic plus Exif on there first before moving them to other progs. I'd download Picasa to my laptop but it's now defunct.

Thanks Kieth but I'm thinking of meeting in a pub of cafe and I may not get internet connection easily, I didn't last time I tried. It's a canon. My desktop computer has Picasa3 and I view pic plus Exif on there first before moving them to other progs. I'd download Picasa to my laptop but it's now defunct.

Any chance you can have the seller send you the latest raw file from the camera?

uh-oh just looked at some photos via picasa3 and it's only the Nikon pics that include Shutter Count in the info displayed.

Any chance you can have the seller send you the latest raw file from the camera?
Yeah perhaps I'll try that.

I may just take a chance, It's a camera I'm familiar with, and if it looks good and works, I may just go for it.

I've made an offer "subject to inspection" and I'm waiting for a reply.

Just thinking ... it's a mirrorless, so don't suppose clicks are as relevant as with a dslr. Hmmm

Just thinking ... it's a mirrorless, so don't suppose clicks are as relevant as with a dslr. Hmmm

I'm not sure about this, some say the life expectancy is much higher for ML bodies, but there is still a mechanical shutter at play.

I have an app called ShutterCount on my Mac and that works offline with my Canon. Having said that I'm having a few issues on my Mac updating the app at the moment.

The latest version will let you see the shutter count for the R, but my version won't. I'm awaiting news from the developer.

Do you have an existing file (directly out of the camera, not processed) from the same model to try first? If the count is in the metadata, Exiftool can find it, though it's not the most user-friendly tool if you're not used to command line stuff:

https://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Not all cameras store the shutter count in their image files (some Canon bodies don't). In some cases you can connect the camera directly to the computer and get the count that way using the appropriate software.

I like Kuso but it hasn't been updated for ten years. I use Picmeta's Picture Information Extractor (PIE) which I believe uses EXIFTool as its back-end.

But, you're buying a camera in a pub from someone you don't know???

But, you're buying a camera in a pub from someone you don't know???
I did! It was advertised on gumtree, the seller's location about 3 miles away, next London borough, he came to my chosen pub late afternoon when all's calm, Ms d00d kept him talking whilst I gave the camera a good look over. Mint condition, a camera I'm well familiar with as I've owned one before but lost it last xmas. I spent an hour last night re-familiarising myself with it, it's like being reunited with an old friend. :)

I was in the next borough yesterday - visiting my Mum in Ealing as it was her 95th birthday.

95 year old mum ... you must be nearly as old as me. :)

LB of E ... yes that's the one. :)

Back