EXIF Viewers - Your one stop shop

smooth

Threebrows
Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all :wave:

We seem to have numerous threads on lots of different EXIF viewers. Methinks it would be handy to have a list of each browser along with the exif viewer plugins that you could use. For those who need a hand when it comes to computers there will also be installation instructions. If anyone could post in this thread their plugin, which OS and browser it is for, its author website and instructions on how to install, and finally how to use, I will get them into the OP :)

Apple OS

• Firefox - EXIF Viewer - Install - simply click the link above when in firefox, click 'Add to Firefox' then click 'Allow' at the top right of your screen in the yellow bar that drops down. Next click 'Install Now' to the software installation box that comes up. Once it has finished installing click 'restart firefox'. Use - to use the viewer, right click on the picture you wish to view the exif of, and then click 'View Image EXIF data' in the menu. This will bring up a new window with all the EXIF details it can find.
  • Firefox - FxIF Viewer - Install - simply click the link above when in firefox, click 'Add to Firefox' then click 'Allow' at the top right of your screen in the yellow bar that drops down. [/COLOR]
  • Safari - ExifExt. Installed through Safari extensions gallery. An Exif viewer extension for Safari. Right click to view exif data.
Windows XP

• Firefox - EXIF Viewer - Install - simply click the link above when in firefox, click 'Add to Firefox' then click 'Allow' at the top right of your screen in the yellow bar that drops down. Next click 'Install Now' to the software installation box that comes up. Once it has finished installing click 'restart firefox'. Use - to use the viewer, right click on the picture you wish to view the exif of, and then click 'View Image EXIF data' in the menu. This will bring up a new window with all the EXIF details it can find.
Windows 7 64

• Internet Explorer 8 - KUSO (careful that you click to download the actual program!)- Install - As a program. Use - to use the viewer, right click on the picture you wish to view the exif of, and then click 'View EXIF data' in the menu. This will bring up a new window with all the EXIF details it can find. Additional info available by clicking 'View Full Information'.

EXIF data can provide vital information in photography. It is information that can be saved with a digital picture giving all sorts of information. A lot of members on TP like to know/see the EXIF data behind images so that they can understand the mechanics of the shot.

Wikipedia has an excellent rundown on what it can contain:

The metadata tags defined in the Exif standard cover a broad spectrum:

• Date and time information. Digital cameras will record the current date and time and save this in the metadata.
  • Camera settings. This includes static information such as the camera model and make, and information that varies with each image such as orientation (rotation), aperture, shutter speed, focal length, metering mode, and ISO speed information.
  • A thumbnail for previewing the picture on the camera's LCD screen, in file managers, or in photo manipulation software.
  • Descriptions and copyright information.
Source: Wikipedia.

Last edited:
Apple OS

Safari - ExifExt. Installed through Safari extensions gallery. To install click - 'Safari' - 'Safari Extensions Gallery' - Click 'Photos' in the Extension category - then look for ExifExt, click 'Install' now.

An Exif viewer extension for Safari. Right click to view exif data.

Last edited:
Thanks Simon :)

Added. If you get chance could you do a quick summary of how to install for those who do not use computers as much? Thank you!

I've tried Opanda IExif Viewer and FXif for Firefox, but now I'm back on Internet Explorer as my browser and my exif viewer of choice is Kuso Exif Viewer, available free from here....

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Digital-Photo-Tools/KUSO-Exif-Viewer.shtml

IIRC it used to work well within Firefox but something broke with more recent Firefox releases and it appears no longer to be maintained. In fact the author's website has vanished. Still, it works great on Windows 7 x64 with IE8, and that's good enough for me.

It's a while since I installed it, but for IE I'm sure you simply download and run the install program and then you have right click EXIF viewing available in your browser. Easy.

Screenshot....

20100812_180607_.JPG

You can get additional information displayed simply by checking the "View Full Information" box.

Last edited:
cheers o smooth one............ uploaded the windows / firefox one - now to have a play.

It's not a browser plugin, but can I add a recommendation for Photome? Windows based and really shows you everything there is in the EXIF!

Google Chrome?

Nothing suitable yet.... there is one but you have to open the image in a new window first and even then it's pretty much pants.... I went back to Firefox due to this very problem...

For anyone looking for a command line tool the Exiftool offers a lot of functionality.

Not only does it allow you to view the Exif data, but you can also use the tool to sort images into directories based on their exif date stamps. Very useful if you've got a lot of pictures scattered all over the place.

Finally, if you can do some perl programming then it gives you a whole set of tools to manipulate the exif data.

Maybe not a tool for the casual user, but very powerful.

Any browser, but only for the first photo on a page ( I think)

Go to the following page LINK and drag the little green box on the right to you bookmark/favourite toolbar

For anyone looking for a command line tool the Exiftool offers a lot of functionality.

Not only does it allow you to view the Exif data, but you can also use the tool to sort images into directories based on their exif date stamps. Very useful if you've got a lot of pictures scattered all over the place.

Finally, if you can do some perl programming then it gives you a whole set of tools to manipulate the exif data.

Maybe not a tool for the casual user, but very powerful.

There's an interface for it as well. Google ExifToolGui.

They're an excellent bit of software when combined.

Have a look at Exponator for Chrome
Works a treat on mouseover (y)

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/npdclakkbcpndnjlnajapdlbdncpijdg

Tons and tons of display options !!!

[ExifVersion] — EXIF version
[FlashpixVersion] — Flashpix format version
Colorspace tags
[ColorSpace] — Color space information tag
Image configuration
[PixelXDimension] — Valid width of meaningful image
[PixelYDimension] — Valid height of meaningful image
[ComponentsConfiguration] — Information about channels
[CompressedBitsPerPixel] — Compressed bits per pixel
User information
[MakerNote] — Any desired information written by the manufacturer
[UserComment] — Comments by user
Related file
[RelatedSoundFile] — Name of related sound file
Date and time
[DateTimeOriginal] — Date and time when the original image was generated
[DateTimeDigitized] — Date and time when the image was stored digitally
[SubsecTime] — Fractions of seconds for DateTime
[SubsecTimeOriginal] — Fractions of seconds for DateTimeOriginal
[SubsecTimeDigitized] — Fractions of seconds for DateTimeDigitized
Picture-taking conditions
[ExposureTime] — Exposure time (in seconds)
[FNumber] — F number
[ExposureProgram] — Exposure program
[SpectralSensitivity] — Spectral sensitivity
[ISOSpeedRatings] — ISO speed rating
[OECF] — Optoelectric conversion factor
[ShutterSpeedValue] — Shutter speed
[ApertureValue] — Lens aperture
[BrightnessValue] — Value of brightness
[ExposureBias] — Exposure bias
[MaxApertureValue] — Smallest F number of lens
[SubjectDistance] — Distance to subject in meters
[MeteringMode] — Metering mode
[LightSource] — Kind of light source
[Flash] — Flash status
[SubjectArea] — Location and area of main subject
[FocalLength] — Focal length of the lens in mm
[FlashEnergy] — Strobe energy in BCPS
[SpatialFrequencyResponse]
[FocalPlaneXResolution] — Number of pixels in width direction per FocalPlaneResolutionUnit
[FocalPlaneYResolution] — Number of pixels in height direction per FocalPlaneResolutionUnit
[FocalPlaneResolutionUnit] — Unit for measuring FocalPlaneXResolution and FocalPlaneYResolution
[SubjectLocation] — Location of subject in image
[ExposureIndex] — Exposure index selected on camera
[SensingMethod] — Image sensor type
[FileSource] — Image source (3 == DSC)
[SceneType] — Scene type (1 == directly photographed)
[CFAPattern] — Color filter array geometric pattern
[CustomRendered] — Special processing
[ExposureMode] — Exposure mode
[WhiteBalance] — 1 = auto white balance, 2 = manual
[DigitalZoomRation] — Digital zoom ratio
[FocalLengthIn35mmFilm] — Equivalent foacl length assuming 35mm film camera (in mm)
[SceneCaptureType] — Type of scene
[GainControl] — Degree of overall image gain adjustment
[Contrast] — Direction of contrast processing applied by camera
[Saturation] — Direction of saturation processing applied by camera
[Sharpness] — Direction of sharpness processing applied by camera
[DeviceSettingDescription] —
[SubjectDistanceRange] — Distance to subject
Other tags
[InteroperabilityIFDPointer",
[ImageUniqueID] — Identifier assigned uniquely to each image

Last edited:
Don't seem to be able to get any working with Firefox 3.6.12 (win 7 x64)...either have to use Opanda standalone or change browsers :(

Don't seem to be able to get any working with Firefox 3.6.12 (win 7 x64)...either have to use Opanda standalone or change browsers :(

I've got Exif Viewer, FxIF and PhotoMe running on 3.6.12 as well as Element Properties.

All seem to be running fine.

Do any of the chrome ones have a right click menu option rather than mouseover?

Apologies, I missed the x64 part which might well be the cause of the problem. Win7 certainly shouldn't affect it.

I'm now running FF 3.6.13 on Win 7 x64 and both Exif Viewer 1.55 and FxIF 0.4.3 work for me.

Opera has one built in :D

It's also the quickest and safest browser of them all, with the most features build in without having to turn to extensions. There are some compatibility issues with it though.

Nothing for Chrome? Only thing I missed from firefox is exactly this
Yes there are.. Try reading more than the first post ;)

I have upgraded to IE9 and the exif viewer from www.vadimsphoto.com no longer shows the details at the bottom of the page as it used to with IE8

Any suggestions on one that shows you the EXIF data when you mouseover rather than having to click the photo?

Thanks

Hi. All sorted. The status bar wasn't enabled in IE9 hence it not showing:(

Anyone got an exif viewer for Safari used on Win 7 - just changed from IE.
TIA

Wow, just in time I saw this :LOL:

I was looking for an exif program and luckily was browsing the forum - thanks, you have saved me tons of time.

is there any that work with ie9 64 bit? tried kuso and Iexif but I get "activex cant create component" errors. using Win7 64bit too

Back