Expired Film Day - 15 March 2017

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
Anyone else planning on shooting a roll of old film next Wednesday?

http://expiredfilmday.com/

I might try the 1970s vintage roll of Trifca that I have. Peak said they'd try to process it as black and white when I asked about it a few month's back. Failing that I have a roll of Kodak Plus-X Pan from the 80s that might be worth a shot instead. Disappointment, here I come! :D

In the spirit of this should we not shoot stuff in a couple of years time once the deadline has passed?

Every day is expired film day here, I'm pretty sure, as I haven't bought a roll of film in 4 years, that iall the stuff in the fridge or freezer is now way past its date...

Now I know I might if the Ektar is OOD. Otherwise it will just be shoot a roll of film day :)

Every day is expired film day here, I'm pretty sure, as I haven't bought a roll of film in 4 years, that iall the stuff in the fridge or freezer is now way past its date...

We could do to organise a " shoot a roll of fresh film day" specially for us frusty and crusty lot:D

I susoect it would mean that most of us will have to buy some in date film though:confused::LOL:

I have a couple of OOD rolls of Jessops film that have been solidly abused with heat and humidity. Perfect!

I've got some FP4 I found in a bag when I was clearing out the garden shed last summer.

It'll have been through a few summers and (mostly) winters in there.

We could do to organise a " shoot a roll of fresh film day" specially for us frusty and crusty lot:D

I susoect it would mean that most of us will have to buy some in date film though:confused::LOL:

That sounds awful like a "Poundland Agfa" day, except I suppose you'll not have Poundland over there Asha? Or is there maybe a Euroland equivalent? :thinking:

That sounds awful like a "Poundland Agfa" day, except I suppose you'll not have Poundland over there Asha? Or is there maybe a Euroland equivalent? :thinking:
Yeah there's a 2 euro outlet but it don't sell film:(

XP2 Jan 2008, carefuly stored at room temp for 10 years. Should be fine I s'pose.

I'm currently shooting the very same 2008 XP2 to try out a camera, but mine has been fridge stored. I'll not get it sent off to Filmdev until I've shot another couple of rolls though, since the postage for 1 roll is too much.

I was thinking about going until I read that parking was £20, they can keep their show at that price!

Parking there is £12 I believe. Or try your luck at free parking at Tile Hill, 3 trains an hour for a coupla quid. Last time (3 years ago) I couldn't get into the free car park but found some street parking not far away. There's also a large free Park and Ride in Coventry, 3 or 4 buses an hour into Coventry Station.... let me know if anyone's interested and I'll give more details...

From what I can tell from the website I've just seen it's £12 for parking further away (with a shuttle bus option, subject to availability), or £20 if you want to park nearer the exhibition halls. In my opinion £12 is still too expensive when you have to pay admission to the event on top of that. So I won't be going.

The rip off parking prices are why I don't bother with anything at the NEC.

From what I can tell from the website I've just seen it's £12 for parking further away (with a shuttle bus option, subject to availability), or £20 if you want to park nearer the exhibition halls. In my opinion £12 is still too expensive when you have to pay admission to the event on top of that. So I won't be going.

The rip off parking prices are why I don't bother with anything at the NEC.

Ah, the joys of free train travel. Crewe to the NEC in 90 mins, beer during the day and the train home in time for tea.

I did momentarily think about the train, but it costs £12 a day in Crewe station car park (or about £5 nearby), and that's before I've been fleeced for a return ticket, so they can get stuffed too! :grumpy:

Kidsgrove station is £2.50 to park in all day. There is also free parking in side streets if you choose carefully.

So that means if I went on a Sunday (assuming that's all off-peak rate?) with parking, train ticket and admission, one beer and one soft drink and something to eat, that would be about £60 for a day out (and that's if I didn't buy anything else while I was there!). I think I'll pass on that one. Thanks for the info on Kidsgrove station though, I'll bear that in mind next time I have to go somewhere by train. :)

Last edited:
I did momentarily think about the train, but it costs £12 a day in Crewe station car park (or about £5 nearby), and that's before I've been fleeced for a return ticket, so they can get stuffed too! :grumpy:

£5 at the station all day at the weekend and £4.50 on the shoppers car parks on Nantwich Road. Just sayin'. :D

You'll too soft these days...get a motorbike with free parking :D I've always had something on two wheels even if just a moped at times, since 1956 (y)

Back on topic, I'm having trouble finding expired film, other than my precious stash of Reala 100. I've got a roll of TMAX 100, unboxed and undated but I'm pretty sure I acquired it as an expired film at a meet, possibly from @srichards . Annoyingly it doesn't say explicitly whether it's 24 or 36 shot, other than in small print 100TMX*24. I wondered if this might refer to the DIN rating, but I think ISO 100 is DIN 21 so suspect that means it is 24-shot. Since I have an unloaded b&w camera, that may have to do...

Ooh I've also found an unboxed, undated Superia 1600 that I suspect might also be expired, and probably from the same source... however I don't have an empty usable camera to put that in. We'll see how we go...

I'd think that tmax is expired. It was a freebie off a magazine cover from what I vaguely remember. That probably would have been the llandudno meet which was ages ago so worst case it's only just expired. It should say how many frames on the canister or possibly on the film itself if you use a magnifier. 80% chance of it being a 24 if it was free I'd think.

My ektar is 03/2016 so a whole year OOD :)

I'd think that tmax is expired. It was a freebie off a magazine cover from what I vaguely remember. That probably would have been the llandudno meet which was ages ago so worst case it's only just expired. It should say how many frames on the canister or possibly on the film itself if you use a magnifier. 80% chance of it being a 24 if it was free I'd think.

My ektar is 03/2016 so a whole year OOD :)

I remember some expired Delta 100 from Llandudno, which was lovely; oddly, I didn't get such lush results from fresh stuff later! Think the TMAX 100 might have been from the Peaks meet... can't find any other record of buying any, other than boxed stuff from Calumet way back in 2013, which appear to have been used in Chester!

EDIT: I'm going to assume it's expired...

Back on topic, I'm having trouble finding expired film, other than my precious stash of Reala 100. I've got a roll of TMAX 100, unboxed and undated but I'm pretty sure I acquired it as an expired film at a meet, possibly from @srichards . Annoyingly it doesn't say explicitly whether it's 24 or 36 shot, other than in small print 100TMX*24. I wondered if this might refer to the DIN rating, but I think ISO 100 is DIN 21 so suspect that means it is 24-shot. Since I have an unloaded b&w camera, that may have to do...

Ooh I've also found an unboxed, undated Superia 1600 that I suspect might also be expired, and probably from the same source... however I don't have an empty usable camera to put that in. We'll see how we go...
Ive got a roll of Kodak something thats well out of date I can send you if need be Chris, if I get it in the post today it should be with you tomorrow.

So, decisions, decisions...

View attachment 97735

I think I'm erring towards the Plus-X. I reckon it's more likely to produce useable pictures, plus I won't have to drop the ASA to quite so silly low levels in order to compensate for the age.
Even at a 1988 vintage the Plus-X pan is likely to give fairly predictable results but TriFCA, I haven't even heard of that so that would be my go to expired film.

Even at a 1988 vintage the Plus-X pan is likely to give fairly predictable results but TriFCA, I haven't even heard of that so that would be my go to expired film.

I posted on here about the TriFCA in the car boot thread last year (Starting at this post: Holga, Toy, Charity Shop, Car Boot and other Bargains (film only please)) and it was suggested that it was re-spooled cine-film. Given it's box speed of 75 ASA and that it's over 40 years old, I reckon I'd need to overexpose by at least four stops, so it'd be rated at around ASA 5. I still fancy shooting it for curiosity's sake, but as I have limited time on Wednesday the Plus-X is probably a safer and more versatile choice.

I've no idea of the provenance of these either. They were picked up at a car boot sale and were inside a camera bag, but I've no clue how they were stored beyond that.

I still have the rolls of Fuji and Konica that I show in the above post too.

Ive got a roll of Kodak something thats well out of date I can send you if need be Chris, if I get it in the post today it should be with you tomorrow.

Is that black and white, Nick? Sounds daft I know but there's a film already in my "colour" camera, and if I took it out I could use one of my Reala rolls. But the b&w camera is empty. But if you have an old b&w I'd be grateful. Do you have my address?

Is that black and white, Nick? Sounds daft I know but there's a film already in my "colour" camera, and if I took it out I could use one of my Reala rolls. But the b&w camera is empty. But if you have an old b&w I'd be grateful. Do you have my address?
No it's colour Kodak, its in the fridge if you want to know exactly what it is.

No it's colour Kodak, its in the fridge if you want to know exactly what it is.

I've just remembered there's the Z-1, so I'll say yes please and PM you my address. Thanks very much.

I've just remembered there's the Z-1, so I'll say yes please and PM you my address. Thanks very much.
Typical just got called into work and missed your post but I can get it in the post first thing tomorrow so you should still get it by Wednesday.

Thanks Nick, sort out postage in Cornwall?

So, after deciding to bite the bullet and use the 1975 vintage TriFCA, I couldn't get it to wind on in the F70, so I've decided to go for a roll of Fujicolor Super HG 100 instead which expired in 1994. I'm going to save the roll of Plus-X Pan for another day as I reckon it might be quite nice.

I've rated the Fujicolor at ASA20 (1 stop of overexposure per decade past it's date, plus a touch more for good luck).

Back