Holga, Toy, Charity Shop, Car Boot and other Bargains (film only please)

It's a 400mm prime lens hence the 5.6 'fixed' aperture but the EF body will stop down the aperture as with all Canon EF bodies.

H.mm so the only way of testing to see if the aperture is not stuck is to mount it on the Canon AF camera (which I have). If members had posted "wow you should have bought that excellent lens".. I would buy it when I see the guy again this sunday (assuming he still has it) and offered £15-£20. But then what would I use a 400mm lenses for as I'm not into bird watching.

I've used a 400mm lens for sports and even for selecting architectural details that I can't approach on tall buildings; there is also the compressed perspective you can get if you deliberately move further away and use a long lens - very effect on some landscapes.

I've used a 400mm lens for sports and even for selecting architectural details that I can't approach on tall buildings; there is also the compressed perspective you can get if you deliberately move further away and use a long lens - very effect on some landscapes.

Well I would buy for £15 for a lens I would use only now and again...but £25 is too much although they ain't cheap on the bay.
But the odd thing is that I spent £27 at the Toby carvery yesterday (after using a voucher for 33% off), well I could have got the lens instead and still have something in my hand instead of a memory of a knife and fork :D

Last edited:
I can get a memory of a knife and fork for free by looking in my cutlery cabinet...

It depends on how frquently you want to use it, I suppose. And my days of carrying a 400mm lens around "just in case" are long over. Sometimes though I've found that a lens that I really thought would be useful just hasn't delivered, and another that seemed a limited use one has seen a lot of use. I find it difficult to predict in advance which category a lens will fall into.

I'll give that 400mm prime lens a miss as if I want 400mm I'll just stick a 2Xs extender to my Canon 200mm f4 e.g.:-

RB guys would have been happy today at the bootie... plenty of Mamiya hoods 127-250 @£3 and one very large one for RZ @ £6...also .boxed (new) viewing screen A4 for RB for £10...anyway what did I get? an excellent condition Topcon uni body for £1...got no lenses for it but was facinated on how it works as it has as leaf shutter inside instead of a normal type and would assume it would sync at flash up to 1/500 sec.
On searching it might take Exakta lenses as well ..h'mm aint got any of those either :rolleyes: and can't find if anyone had made a Topcon to M42 screw adapter :(
Also bought Vivitar 2Xs extender for Pentax...oh no I don't really need another one but it was only £2.

Last edited:
Handy to have though. :) You just can't anticipate when you will need one. There don't seem to be the same bargains up here.

Last edited:
On searching it might take Exakta lenses as well ..h'mm aint got any of those either :rolleyes: and can't find if anyone had made a Topcon to M42 screw adapter :(.

From memory, if the Topcon has a bayonet mount it will be sort of the same as Exakta. Recall that the Exakta is a left handed camera, with the shutter release on the left hand side; and that the automatic diaphragm was an external lever on the lens that was pressed down and made contact with the shutter release. Given that the Topcon (so far as I know) is right handed, the lens would have to be mounted upside down for the diaphragm lever to stand a chance of connecting.

But perhaps my memory is at fault...

Edit to add: I've got an Exakta with 4 lenses.

Last edited:
From memory, if the Topcon has a bayonet mount it will be sort of the same as Exakta. Recall that the Exakta is a left handed camera, with the shutter release on the left hand side; and that the automatic diaphragm was an extrenal lever on the lens that was pressed down and made contact with the shutter release. Given that the Topcon (so far as I know) is right handed, the lens would have to be mounted upside down for the diaphratgm lever to stand a chance of connecting.

But perhaps my memory is at fault...

Edit to add: I've got an Exakta with 4 lenses.

All looks different inside esp with that black ring and I don't know if the superb RE lenses would fit it...anyway if you are going to the meet you can have it to play with..if you want

This looks the same as the UNI
lens+mount+1.jpg

Picked up a mint Olympus 50mm with caps and skylight filter for £2, anybody want my well used one (that takes sharp pics)...would swop for a glass of sweet cider with ice in the pub.

IMG_3421.jpg
Same little boot sale as last Sunday and I found this 283 flash unit with the off camera adaptor cord , Battery compartment is mint , Cost £2 :D

Great buy...just check the output volts is the same as mine i.e. 10v

its on the flat 6volt Fur Netzbetrieb nur

I'm confused o_O...did you switch the flashgun on and measure the volts across the pins that go on to the hotshoe...i.e. the centre pin and the one on the slde that connects to the hotshoe?

I got handed a box of 'old' cameras today and my heart fluttered a little when I spotted the Hasselblad 500 C/M in there along with the following gems:

Canon A-1 (needs a battery but in pretty good nick) with a 50mm f/1.8.
Minolta 7000i Dynax with an old Cobra 700 hammerhead flash and bracket.
Konica FS-1 with a 40mm f/1.8

Tamron 80-210mm f/3.8 Adaptall 2 (Canon FD)
Tamron 24mm f/2.5 Adaptall 2 (Canon FD)
Bell & Howell 28mm f/2.8 (Canon FD)

I'm confused o_O...did you switch the flashgun on and measure the volts across the pins that go on to the hotshoe...i.e. the centre pin and the one on the slde that connects to the hotshoe?

Hi , No its the details on the flat unit see photo

Attachments

• IMG_3423.jpg
    IMG_3423.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 19
I only intend using the flash on my FILM body not on a DSLR do I still need to check ?

No problem on mechanical ones, but the later electronic ones might be iffy and would think any flashgun under 10v would be ok for those, as I know the Minolta and Canon ones e.g. X700 and T70\T90..... their flashguns are about 5-6volts and there must be a reason why they are low.

Last edited:
A reasonable buy if you want to use screw lenses... Chinon CX collection only at Liverpool, put a bid in for £10 and you might win...but the zoom lens might be crappy or you never know it might be a hidden gem :eek:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAMERA-TE...330055?hash=item3606bdb587:g:tO0AAOSwSv1Xl7V2

Got this at the bootie for £1 but with one tube in the middle don't know how useful its going to be....its from "the daylight company" if that means anything to anybody
IMG_9716.JPG

Reactions: Jao

Attachments

• IMG_3430 (1).jpg
    IMG_3430 (1).jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3431.jpg
    IMG_3431.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3432.jpg
    IMG_3432.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3433.jpg
    IMG_3433.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 21
It looks like a piece is missing ? on other images I have found on line behind the lens is a asa pointer that lines up with markings on the body , My camera does not have the pointer but does have the markings on the body , Cant see how the lens comes off either ? :wideyed:

I picked up a Kodak Junior 2 this morning. It's in decent condition and cost a fiver, but on inspection at home I think the shutter is stuck. Anyone know how the camera works or how I can fix the (assumed) problem?20160827_114237.jpg

I also got four rolls of expired 35mm film to experiment with (in a different camera).

Trifca 35 75 ASA - August 1975
Kodak Plus-X pan 125 - March 1988
Fuji Super HG 100 - August 1988
Konica Super XG 100 - June 1996

I'm curious about the TriFCA film as it says on the side of the box: "TriFCA color print film. The TriFCA process gives you one full-size print and two wallet-size prints from each negative.". Is this something specific to the processing method, or is this film different to standard 35mm? Will I be able to use it as normal?

20160827_114415.jpg

If nothing else, the camera gave me a nice subject for today's 366 project picture. :)

138/366 2016 - Kodak Junior II
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

H'mm never heard of Trifca...and you might have a problem getting it developed

H'mm never heard of Trifca...and you might have a problem getting it developed

Maybe I could use the addressed processing envelope that's still in the box. :) It cost £2.75 to process according to the leaflet (approx £28 in today's money!). There's a nice little bit of history inside the case that came with the camera too.20160827_145508.jpg 20160827_145611.jpg 20160827_145702.jpg 20160827_145804.jpg

I found some threads about TriFCA via Google (eg this), and it appears it is NOT C41 or even C22, but respooled cine film. To process you need to remove the remjet backing, whatever that is. There is some cine film around so probably some folk who know how to do it. Personally, I'd ring up Peak Imaging who seem to be able to cope with most stuff. Gotta be worth a try!

BTW one of the threads had a contribution from @pentaxpete of this parish... however, he was suggesting stand develop in Rodinal 1+100 and did not mention remjet, so not sure how relevant that is...

Love to see some results... :)

Although I've never heard of TriFCA... I can suggest how to remove the remjet(or at least the way I remove it when shooting cine film)

So, I would first make up 1L of warm water mixed with 2 heaped-ish tablespoons of bicarbonate of soda. Then use a 1/3 of the solution in the tank and agitate for 30 seconds and empty. Do that another 2 times with the remaining solution(the water should come out black initially at the first wash, then get lighter after each wash). After the third wash, I just gave a normal 20 degree water rinse and then I would develop however you were planning on doing it.
I found that method resulted in no remjet backing being left on the film. If there is after developing, it can be removed in warm water with a sponge.

Peak Imaging is only five minutes from where I live, so I might pop in there with the film and see what they say. I've only just dipped my toe back into shooting film, and have no means to develop it myself, so if they can't do it I'll probably just sell it on (I might get enough to cover the cost of the camera I bought :) ). I'd love to see the results though.

I'll shoot the other three rolls though. After my dad gave me a bag of old expired film (albeit all post 2000) I've got a mini stockpile of stuff past its use-by date.

Bought an excellent condition m42 Palinar preset 135mm f2.8 lens, she said £5, and I said £1... and she said ok. So why did I buy this lens? well it has handy caps and about 16 blades iris so could be a bokeh monster esp for portraiture. Will test it out and compare with a Canon 135mm.
Reminds of the time when I bought Zenit camera plus Helios 44-2 and preset Prinz galaxy 135 f3.5 all for £1...well I was amazed how sharp the Prinz lens was even wide open, so you never know with these old lenses.

Last edited:
Yashica Minister-D rangefinder with leather case
found at my local boot sale today , need to test the battery and maybe get a new one , so work in progress , The rewind and shutter seem fine , fingers crossed

At the bootie today saw a heavy duty well used Manfrotto tripod with controls everywhere and spirit level..anyway asked how much and she said £6 and I put six fingers up to confirm and she nodded...well I thought there must be something wrong with it so spent 5mins checking it over and the only fault was a plastic knob kept coming off. So I said would you accept £4? and she shouted back NO it's £60 WTF :eek: I must start wearing my hearing aid outside more.
Anyway went past the stall later and someone had bought it.

View attachment 71060
Same little boot sale as last Sunday and I found this 283 flash unit with the off camera adaptor cord , Battery compartment is mint , Cost £2 :D

Some time and research later I realised it needs a battery pack holder ( not with it when purchased ) managed to find a supplier selling pattern holders relatively cheap, 4 new Duracell AA batteries fitted , Switched it on and NOTHING :eek:
Checked I had installed the batteries correctly ( Yes I Did ) , Put the battery pack back in and NOTHING :mad:

One last try , Rotate the batteries in the holder pushing towards the terminals , re fir the pack and ====== = = = = = == === Wizzz it started charging , Took some time to re charge the unit before I could test fire it and FLASH < It works :banana: , after the first charge it now charges faster , I cycled it about 6 times and fired it off so looks like all is now good :D

mju ii, £10 from a charity shop in Doncatraz

boxed, like new......with film

RESULT !

shame I bought an mju i only 2 days ago off teabay, hasn't even arrived yet..:/

aaaaand, apparently its a shared mju ii camera because our lass dragged me in to the godforsaken place to start with......some twisted logic goin on round my house..

Back