Expired Film Day - 15 March 2017

Sun is shining. I've chosen which film I'm going to use. Will I actually manage to decide where to go in time to get there rather than faff the entire day away?

Haha, it was my birthday at the weekend and for the last few days all I've been hearing is "oooooh, only one more year until you're 30!"

It's nice to come into F&C and be young again :D :p

Most of the cameras used in this section are older than you mate....looking at this thread, there's a lot film that's the same too ;0)

Sun is shining. I've chosen which film I'm going to use. Will I actually manage to decide where to go in time to get there rather than faff the entire day away?

Choosing the film was the easy bit - now I have to decide which camera! :)

Locations will be my commute to work, work and commute home. :(

How did you manage all that already? I'm barely even awake yet!
There's always one isn't there! ;) I'll be giving this a miss as I only have 1 roll of expired film and I want to keep that. I saw an old cassette of Trueprint and Kodacolor Gold yesterday in a junk shop, but as they wanted £2.50 each for them I let them stay there!

How did you manage all that already? I'm barely even awake yet!

It's both a school-day and working day, so I'm forced out of bed by both. I'm working from home too, so had the opportunity for a walk before work. TBH, I was feeling tired and could easily have just vegged out on the setee for half an hour while eating my breakfast, but the light and the roll of expired film were calling! :)

I just hope it's not all a crushing disappointment when I get the negs back later.

I have useable photos! :)

I've scanned a few and, apart from a bit of grain, the biggest problem is the curl on the negs which means I have to faff around with shims in the holder to stop them touching the glass and causing Newton's Rings.

I'm quite happy with the results so far though, even if they are lacking in weird colour shifts or anything arty like that.

I finished off the roll of unknown heritage Minipan 100 at lunchtime and should hopefully have a bottle of Rodinal waiting for me when I get home so I can develop it, along with the unknown roll of potentially exposed film that came with the camera. I'm planning on using the Minox tank to develop the film but I'm trying to work out the best concentrate for stand developing them both?

Has anyone got a 'recommended' concentration for Rodinal, assuming a 56ml dev tank and, I'm assuming, 60 minutes of stand development?

Cheers
Steve

I actually managed to get my arse gear interface working so I went to Chirk Castle and shot that roll of Ektar in the GA645i :)

Finished roll in Vito and both sent off to FilmDev in time to catch the post. This is the height of organisational efficiency for me.

Last edited:
Well I managed to shoot a roll of XP2 dated 1994(and an out of date roll of Fomapan 400...rated both at ISO 200) in my pinhole camera... thing is I have no C41 to develop it in. Other than Rodinal anyone developed it in B&W chemicals?.

Well, here're mine. All shot on the F70 with 50mm f/1.8 AF-D, ASA set to 20 to overexpose the film by just over two stops. I had to shoot wide open for most of them to get a useable hand-held shutter speed.

To be honest, apart from a slight faded quality, a bit of grain, and maybe a hint of magenta, plus the fact I had to deliberately overexpose, I could've been shooting fresh film from the results I've got.

FILM - Expired Film Day 2017
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

FILM - Expired Film Day 2017-4

FILM - Expired Film Day 2017-5

FILM - Expired Film Day 2017-2

FILM - Expired Film Day 2017-18

FILM - Expired Film Day 2017-24

FILM - Expired Film Day 2017-20

FILM - Expired Film Day 2017-15

Love those, Nige! No. 20 is my favourite, the ferns. That's a hell of a tight DOF too, lovely stuff.

Very nice, Nige, you do put us to shame... but then, living within walking distance of Peak is quite a bonus!

I shot the roll of 2007-expired Kodacolor 200 that Nick @RaglanSurf sent me (thanks, Nick) with the 100mm f/4 Pentax-M "macro" lens; shot at 100. Also shot a few from the roll of probably expired TMax 100. However, the battery died in the late afternoon, and I realised my Sunny 16 estimation needs a lot of practice. It'll probably take a while to finish that roll, which I think I'll dev myself (not spending £9 on a 24-shot roll!).

Now as it 'appens i've had a bit of time today to take some photos and coincidentally aome of the film I shot was ood fomapan. Pics to follow. :)

I shot six sheets of expired film. Some Fomapan 100 that I think Woodsy gave me on the Peaks meet, I'll scan it in tonight aNd see if there's anything decent.
I went a bit crazy and also shot six sheets of colour as well.

I have my roll back :) The metering in the Fuji is a bit poor. It's less able than me using sunny 16/random like I do with the Automat. Unless Ektar is really fussy about exposure??

Had a go with the built in flash and that worked well:

Chirk Castle by Suzy Richards, on Flickr

Most of them came out normal.

Chirk Castle by Suzy Richards, on Flickr

I seem to get slightly better results with the Vito as for some reason I get more wonky framing with the Fuji.

There was an odd shot that came out a bit under exposed for no reason at all:

R2-04945-0014.jpg

IIRC Ektar is indeed quite fussy about exposure...

IIRC Ektar is indeed quite fussy about exposure...

Ah. It did it with the Portra and with the Fuji film I used in it too a bit. I was wondering whether it had one of those meters that were a bit slow when you went from bright conditions to dark and back again? I tend to machine gun my way around.

It's definitely nowhere near as capable as the Dynax's metering system.

Mental Note: Don't forget to set exposure dial switch and plate to 220 when shooting 35mm in 6x7... otherwise you'll breeze past useful film at the end of the roll... just sayin.....

Still... it was done, one whole film in under 2hrs. It's been a while since I did that! Film will go for processing at the weekend and scans will follow..

Well, I 'scanned' the roll of unknown expiry Minopan 100 this morning using my A6000 with OM Zuiko 50/3.5, a set of extension tubes and a lightbox and am surprisingly happy with the results. There are clearly a few cases where Bond forgot he had his finger in front of the lens but other than that the camera has exposed them well. A few marks on the negs here and there but ok otherwise;

1)
Minox B - Expired Minopan 100 by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

I've managed to develop and scan my two OOD rolls... both rolls were taken with my pinhole camera 6x9

XP2 dated 1994 shot @ ISO 200 C41 Developed
33451971206_5e90f38ef4_b.jpg

XP2 dated 1994 shot @ ISO200
33364654511_d44fba5716_b.jpg

Fomapan 400 dated 2012 shot @ ISO 200 developed in HC-110
33109616620_9d398fa38d_b.jpg

Fomapan 400 dated 2012 shot @ ISO 200 developed in HC-110
33492978765_84c88f1ec6_b.jpg

I checked my negs. Fortunately it prints on what exposure it used. The properly exposed one and the underexposed one both used the same f16 and 1/250 I think it was. The under exposed one had a lot more shaded ground.

A bit late, but I visited the lomography stand at the Photography Show today, and picked up a 3 pack of redscale. I was asking what the expiry date was; turned out to be expired so I got them for a fiver (would have been a bit more but he didn't have change). So if anyone's going and interested it might be worth looking at the dates...

Back on topic, I'm having trouble finding expired film, other than my precious stash of Reala 100. I've got a roll of TMAX 100, unboxed and undated but I'm pretty sure I acquired it as an expired film at a meet, possibly from @srichards ...
I'd think that tmax is expired. It was a freebie off a magazine cover from what I vaguely remember. That probably would have been the llandudno meet which was ages ago so worst case it's only just expired. It should say how many frames on the canister or possibly on the film itself if you use a magnifier. 80% chance of it being a 24 if it was free I'd think.
Some [cameras] do seem to leave a small bit out. That's ideal as you know it's been used.

Well, I've just processed this roll of probably-expired Tmax 100 that I finished yesterday, and cut the strips. Interestingly the first few frames are double-exposed, slightly offset, so it wasn't me... I'm pointing the finger at you, Suz!:(:mad::D

I'm not good at reading negatives, specially double-exposed, but there seems to be a guitar involved, plus a couple of mid-szied office buildings with reflection in water. They won't get scanned until tomorrow evening at the earliest, I'll post some up soon after. Could be amusing!

Will let you know if recognise it! only time I co-habited with anyone that owned a guitar was when I was a student in the 1990s.

Back