Extenders

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Is my understanding correct but can any lens be used on and extender?

Can I put a sigma lens on a canon extender, or a canon lens on a sigma extender?

I have a paid gig abroad later this year and need to be adaptable to whatever situation presents itself while still remaining light weight! Thinking extenders may be the solution!

Any advice or experiences shared would be welcome.

T

IMO stick with an extender from the same manufacturer as your lens ... there are some 3rd party units that are very good but maximum compatibility is to be desired in order to get the best image quality. Note that not all extenders from the same manufacturer will be suitable for your lens so do a little research first.

In theory an extender is a simple tube with a magnifying lens stuck somewhere in the middle so you should be able to use any combination, but manufacturers are sneaky so it may not always be possible, so as above really.
Bear in mind the extenders ups the apparent aperture by it's multiplying factor, so you lose 1 or 2 stops which affects AF performance, IQ and even ability to AF in some circumstances, depending on the body/extender/lens combination.
In general any extender which increases the max aperture to f8 will not AF with most "amateur" cameras, in Canons case the exceptions are 1DX (1 & 2), 5D3/4 & 7D2 (I think) and there may be others that will af at F8, cant remember, no idea re Nikon, someone will know if you ask, if you have a Nikon. so an F5.6 with a 2x extender isn't going to AF.
AFAIK Canons extenders only fit certain lenses, those with a minimum focal length of 200mm I think, so they wont fit onto a 24/70 for instance or a 135mm lens.

Last edited:
AFAIK Canons extenders only fit certain lenses, those with a minimum focal length of 200mm I think, so they wont fit onto a 24/70 for instance or a 135mm lens.

That may have just saved me a load of money! Thank you.

Not necessarily. Canon extenders for example protrude into the lens so only fit on some lenses.

EDIT: Crossed posts - I meant not all extenders can be used on all lenses.

Last edited:
My Canon 70-300mm L IS USM lens cannot use Canon extenders but the Kenko 1.4x extender will fit and does a reasonable job.

I could probably use a Canon extender by using an extension tube between the extender and the lens but would not then be able to focus on infinity so would be somewhat limited.

My Canon 70-300mm L IS USM lens cannot use Canon extenders but the Kenko 1.4x extender will fit and does a reasonable job.

.... The Canon EF 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro lens won't physically accept a Canon Extender so I use a Kenko 1.4x quite often on that lens. I think that people here would agree that it does more than just a "reasonable job" as demonstrated by my photo of a dragonfly. But it depends also on the quality of the lens you mount it on.

Otherwise I mount either a Canon 1.4x or 2x on some of my other Canon lenses but for version II lenses the Extenders should be version III so that AF is not compromised.

UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL AND NOT SHY by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
.... The Canon EF 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro lens won't physically accept a Canon Extender so I use a Kenko 1.4x quite often on that lens.
That's worth knowing thank you. I have both the 70-300 and that macro lens. Fabulous photo and I enjoyed browsing your photos on Flickr.

@Tdes It gives the compatibility on the WEX site for the 1.4 extender https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon-ef-14x-iii-extender-1522211/ It's worth checking out. My friend was keen to get this extender until she borrowed mine and discovered she only got the central focus point with her lens - the 100-400 L 1st version.

.... The Canon EF 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro lens won't physically accept a Canon Extender so I use a Kenko 1.4x quite often on that lens. I think that people here would agree that it does more than just a "reasonable job" as demonstrated by my photo of a dragonfly. But it depends also on the quality of the lens you mount it on.

Otherwise I mount either a Canon 1.4x or 2x on some of my other Canon lenses but for version II lenses the Extenders should be version III so that AF is not compromised.

UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL AND NOT SHY by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Fantastic image very beautifully taken. I recently purchased the Canon 1.4x MKII & Kenko 2x, had a quick try of the Kenko with the 100mm 2.8L on both my 7D MK1 and 5D MKIII, and the images were far clearer on the 5D. I am now seriously considering the Kenko 1.4x purely for the 100mm 2.8L, as the plan is to take both bodies out with me to nature reserves. Have the 70-200 2.8L MKII with the Kenko 2x for Birds in trees and Birds in Flight, and the 100mm with the Kenko 1.4x on the 5D for macro.

Back