Extending router signal

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Netgear X4S router which replaced the routing function of my ISP router. Only downside is the lack of wifi signal throught the house.

3-bed semi detached. Position of the router is great for most of the house. If I go into the garden, I lose both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz signals about 5m away from router. In the utility room downstairs, the signal has to pass through 3 solid brick walls. In the bathroom above the utility I can get 2.4Ghz but not 5Ghz.

What are my options?

Something like THIS?
I had a problem in my garage conversion and a powerline plug with wifi and ethernet port resolved the problem.

Something like THIS?
I had a problem in my garage conversion and a powerline plug with wifi and ethernet port resolved the problem.

That doesn't do wifi though does it?

Powerline network extenders work well, you can get them with the capability to broadcast wifi as well. A simple soloution

We had this problem, with the wifi main point at the opposite corner of the house to the main computer, which was also upstairs. We got a wifi extender from Argos for about £20. We set it up following the easy instructions, & plugged it in at a point underneath the main PC, and it works really well.

We have a long thin house and the router is at the front to avoid a long cable run. We bought this TP-Link extender a few weeks ago to improve the signal through to the back and upstairs. So far it's worked well...

TP-Link extender in back room TZ70 P1030618.JPG

Be cautious if you run SKY Q TV with mini boxes and go down the mesh route. I’ve tried two mesh setups to try and solve the exact problem you’ve got.

Both caused big problems with the SKY system, causing repeated drop outs. In the end I scrapped the idea and got a gaming router and used ISP as the modem. This gave a huge WiFi range and has caused no issues with SKY.

Though I do like the idea of Mesh as its very neat and adaptable. If I could get one that works faultlessly with SKY, I’d go that route.

Be cautious if you run SKY Q TV with mini boxes and go down the mesh route. I’ve tried two mesh setups to try and solve the exact problem you’ve got.
Yup we have Sky Q plus a mini box in the bedroom. Since the mini box is directly above the router, I’ve never had issues. I didn’t realise that mesh wouldn’t work with Sky Q.

As it stands I think the best option might be homeplugs +/- router. I already have some LAN only ones knocking around from when I made the bedroom TV into a “smart TV” using a WD TV thing.

My initial plan with homeplugs was to use it to set up my NAS in the garage. So either I can use one homeplug to connect to a router or I can buy a third homeplug with wifi built in and use that.

We have a long thin house and the router is at the front to avoid a long cable run. We bought this TP-Link extender a few weeks ago to improve the signal through to the back and upstairs. So far it's worked well...

View attachment 279497

I have one of these and it was difficult to set up but then it worked fine for 6 months. After that time various of our phones/pads etc. could no longer see the internet though they were locked into the WiFi. After an annoying period of not being able to find solution I unplugged it and all the phones/tablets worked again. While my Wifi will not reach the other end of the house or the garden, I have not got back to fiddling with this TP-Link. Prior to that I had a BT device which used the mains. This worked fine for several years then suddenly failed (a comon fault reported by many). Someday I will have another go at using TP-Link but reviews are not encouraging..

Dave

Both caused big problems with the SKY system, causing repeated drop outs. In the end I scrapped the idea and got a gaming router and used ISP as the modem. This gave a huge WiFi range and has caused no issues with SKY.

Though I do like the idea of Mesh as its very neat and adaptable. If I could get one that works faultlessly with SKY, I’d go that route.

Do you have Sky Broadband?
The reason is that if you do, the Sky Q (I think) uses the main Wifi system, but if not it sets up a separate WiFi network just for Sky Q (That's how mine is set up).
I'm looking at adding the BT Mesh system (Black disks, as I have BT Fiber broadband), but don't want to do that if it will mess up our Sky Q setup!

Do you have Sky Broadband?
The reason is that if you do, the Sky Q (I think) uses the main Wifi system, but if not it sets up a separate WiFi network just for Sky Q (That's how mine is set up).
I'm looking at adding the BT Mesh system (Black disks, as I have BT Fiber broadband), but don't want to do that if it will mess up our Sky Q setup!

I'm using Virgin and the Superhub 3, I didn't research it as fully as I should have.

After having problems, I searched Interweb and found loads of people with issues with MESH networks and integration with SKY Q.

It maybe specific to Virgin Media and their hub, but would have loved to have it as the range and strength was exceptional across house, garden and most of the street.

Back