Tutorial Eyes out of focus? Selective sharpening

mobilevirgin

I'm a cheeky little sausage
Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
mobilevirgin submitted a new resource:

Eyes out of focus? Selective sharpening - Eyes out of focus? Selective sharpening

Coljun recently posted a photo that would have been a cracking portrait of 3 year old Lauren. The only real issue with it was the fact that he'd missed the focus on the eyes. With his permission, here's a quick fix that gives a bit of sharpness back and hides the missed focus.

Original photo

001.jpg

As you can see, the focus point was probably...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator:
Cracking little tutorial MV, thanks for sharing.

That has certainly improved that picture, nice little tutorial, if i may suggest a little process to speed it up, when you make your selection around one eye, just hold down the shift key and then you can select the other eye at the same time and make your selection, that way when your sharpening box comes up, it does exactly the same to both eyes at once with the same settings :)

Just seen this thread, when I clicked onto it seen photo of my grandaughter Lauren. This is a wonderful tutorial & has improved my portraits imensly . I got a surprise when I clicked on to see her , Lauren emigrated to vietnam on wednesday so my wife & I are a little upset at the moment. Still it was a nice suprise for her to pop up like that

That has certainly improved that picture, nice little tutorial, if i may suggest a little process to speed it up, when you make your selection around one eye, just hold down the shift key and then you can select the other eye at the same time and make your selection, that way when your sharpening box comes up, it does exactly the same to both eyes at once with the same settings :)

Or have the selection box set to 'add to selection' rather than 'new selection'

also worth checking out this
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=43265

Last edited:
Great tutorial. I normally bin the shots straight away if the eyes are OOF but this has made me reconsider a bit.

Thanks for posting that tip. I followed a tutorial elsewhere and it said to select the second eye before sharpening but it didn't say how to do it, and I couldn't for the life of me work it out. Now I know!

A nice and simple tutorial, and certainly makes the difference to the image. Cheers for posting.

Excellent & nice & easy to follow, just what I need. I have bookmarked this post for future reference, TYVM

Can anyone tell me.....
If I wanted to brighten up the eyes would I use the marquee tool to section it off or is there another way of doing it?

Can anyone tell me.....
If I wanted to brighten up the eyes would I use the marquee tool to section it off or is there another way of doing it?

You want to go look at some of the excellent tutorials on YouTube for that one... you'll have them sparkling in no time.... :D

Excellent - came back with a few shots yesterday that need exactly what that tutorial provides.

Excellent, and ive just asked this question in a new thread before i spotted this lol

Seeing as I miss the focus on the eyes a lot, this is VERY helpful!
If only I was as good with the camera as I am with Photoshop!

Back