F+C meetup - 10 or 11 August, Astle Park, Cheshire.

Which day/s might you want to meet up, one or more

• Total voters
Watched. Drove past the sign today. Depends on many things at the moment, but Sunday would be more likely than Saturday.

Count me in, I could attend either day at present, so will fall in with the majority. It's usually an enjoyable do with plenty to see. I've found Saturday tends to be a better day for photography as, weather forecast being equal for both days, it's not usually as crammed with crowds, particularly in the morning.

PS, I seem to recall that @niko said he might be interested in attending too if he's available, so that should give him a prod.

Last edited:
Sorry guys, yet again I am working all weekend.:(

Looks like good fun but not enough notice for me to pick up cheap train tickets, look forward to seeing the photos though.

Looks like good fun but not enough notice for me to pick up cheap train tickets, look forward to seeing the photos though.
That's the trouble with events like that, it could be either day depending on the weather and people's availability. That's if it will still be on after the torrential rain they've had in North Cheshire the last few days!

Anyway, sorry you can't make it. If we do the Blists Hill Village thing in second half of September there will probably be more lead-in time for that. Hopefully you and the Snaps can attend then.

Last edited:
Long term weather forecast is looking decidedly damp for both days. We shall see closer to the time. If this keeps up I'm starting to wonder if there are any indoor venues that welcome photographers (other than pubs :beer: )

Long term weather forecast is looking decidedly damp for both days. We shall see closer to the time. If this keeps up I'm starting to wonder if there are any indoor venues that welcome photographers (other than pubs :beer: )
If the wet weather continues then ground conditions may mean it's cancelled. I think we probably ought to review the situation on Weds evening and see how it's looking then?

Yesterday FB Post "Outdoor Shows Ltd Nigel Valentine yes event still taking place. Started setting up today. The ground is dry and fine. Hopefully the forecast will change."

I'm sceptical - 33mm of rain forecast for area on Friday. Saturday supposed to windy, subject to track of low. Think we plan for Sunday morning meet-up and see if it is still on (or even there) Saturday afternoon.

The showground is on a sandy substrate (hence the number of sand quarries in the area) so usually stands up to rain better than most of Cheshire, but the top few inches can get muddy and waterlogged if it chucks it down.

Unless it pours down there on Friday, I think it's how the weather is on the day that matters most. Not much point going if it's dull and raining and paying £10 admission for the privilege.

At the moment, according to BBC Weather, Saturday afternoon is showing some sunny intervals and showers, whereas Sunday is showing light rain all day.

Shall we see how it's looking tomorrow (Friday) evening and decide what's happening then?

sat_sun.jpg

The latest divinations by the Met Office haruspex are as usual equivocal. An early start as the gates open on Saturday gives 3 of us 2 hours of possible dry before retreating for a couple of hours to the refreshment tent :beer:- after which the afternoon looks pretty much like Sunday's percentages OR 5 of us hope Sunday better than forecast.

Thanks for the update David, but, after some thought, I'm reluctantly going to give it a miss. I've got some work I need to get done and, given the forecast, I'd be better off doing that instead. Anyway, I hope you all have a good time if you decide to go, and I'll look forward to seeing the photos. (y)

I will see if any replies by morning, and if the new set of entrails at the Met Office give a better forecast. Only 30 mins from me so will decide 0930hrs if I'll chance it tomorrow. If not will look again on Sunday.

I'm making an executive decision and bailing out. Sorry chaps. Too much greyness and good chance of rain.

That leaves just me as a possible for today, looking at current forecast for today and Sunday - does not look worth it. So we better start looking at a date for Blists Hill / Ironbridge in September.

There's a big steam rally at Lincoln next weekend, though it may be too far for you westerners.
I'll probably start saving up for trip to Blists Hill instead, it's a fair drive to Lincoln and no guarantee of better weather either. I believe it's a very good rally though.

Back