F&C moderator ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Realism and a much needed toich of common sense?
Or last stir with a big spoon? You'll find if you leave the F&C regulars alone and the rentamob, thought police and those who consider us 'superior' butt out it'll calm down nicely.

Or last stir with a big spoon? You'll find if you leave the F&C regulars alone and the rentamob, thought police and those who consider us 'superior' butt out it'll calm down nicely.

LOL Now I'm not an F and C regular? Listen to yourself. ;) OK ...I'm out.

Right I'll step in here, with my size 11's. Yes I know you rarely see me in here, but that's moot.
Firstly, no, CT speaks the most sense IMO

We're oppressors if we moderate, or endorsing and inconsistent if we don't.

The original thread that kicked all this off. It was moderated in exactly the same way as the rest of the forums.
So ujj thought Lynton was trolling? Did he report the thread? No. Did he instead launch into a personal attack that's explicitly against the rules? Yes.
What do we tell everyone to do time and time again. If you think a thread needs looking at by a moderator, press the RTM button. If you jump in with personal attacks, swearing, whatever, you're likely to fall foul of the rules yourself. Someone else breaking the rules before you is no excuse, regardless of whether you *think* the reply is justified

To respond to a question like that with the comment "This section is for real photographers" is exactly the reason we were apprehensive of creating a Film forum in the first place. We didn't want it to become an exclusive ground of film photographers only with everyone else being afraid to join in. That sort of response looks like underlying hostility. So what do you think it will look like to a guest in the forum?
We don't want the Film section to become a separatist movement, which breaks away. It's a part of TalkPhotography, just like the other forums. It's not a special case, it's not a separate site. Those who frequent it are members on Talk Photography, not just the Film section. That also goes to say, why isn't this thread in the Forum Discussion area? Straight away, that lends itself to proving my point.

Incidentally, yes, there is a bigger mod presence than usual in this thread. When a post is reported, all mods get notified by way of a thread in the mod room and an email. Hence we all know about it now, and we're nosy.

If ujj doesn't want to continue posting on here, that's a shame, but it's his choice and his prerogative. However, if he didn't want to be suspended, then when asked if he wanted to take time off.....Answering "Yes" was a silly thing to do wasn't it? If, after being suspended he realised his response was possibly misunderstood, he could have just contacted us to say so couldn't he?

Exactly what his suspension has got to do with anyone else is beyond me.

Now stop being bloody moany mary's and either talk about photography and get along or shut up. There you go, how's that for oppression?.

On a more positive note. If members want to create their own threads to be stuck, that's brilliant, just go right ahead! All you have to do is RTM the post and ask for it to be stuck, and a mod will take a look at it. The forum is for the members, so more stuff like that is always welcome, and we actively encourage it!

No. CT speaks the most sense.

dammit - no snort smilie...

We're oppressors if we moderate, or endorsing and inconsistent if we don't.
This forum is moderated just like the others. Ujj was asked if he would like some time off, he said yes. Bit silly don't you think? If he didn't mean suspension then surely he could have actually contacted us himself and said so couldn't he.

Ujjwal speaks and reads exactly what he means/understandss - he would not have recognised any "implied" threat in that statement. History you see - you all would have known that had you been more active in here. With English as most definitely not first language he is careful to use only literal comments - you think smartarse, he thinks safe. Whatever, I'm done on this thread. (Finally - since it has degenerated to cases rather than general stuff.).

*** Edited, since if Marcel can do it then so can I...

It's not about Ujjwal, it's about the general attitude - you just fell in the same hole when you read the comment about real photographers meaning film only - I put it to you that the context was "decent photographers" - in the decent as in moral sense rather than those that go around creating itches. But anyway, as I said, it's not about Ujjwal there have been any number of posts asking about stickies... nothing back. Not gonna go to the hassle of creating pages of technical stuff only to have a "staff" member decide it's not his cup of tea so it's dropped...

Last edited:
On another photography site they have created a forum where people can let off steam or the thread becomes (for example) too political, only those that have permission are allowed into the forum and would assume no newbies....of course it has to be moderated as you just can't say anything with the laws that are out now, but any argument in threads, and the posts can be moved there.

I've edited a fuller version of my post in....see above.

I was actually editing my post in while you responded. What was it you were saying about assumptions? Your argument does lose some punch when you're guilty of the same thing you accuse others of.

you just fell in the same hole when you read the comment about real photographers meaning film only - I put it to you that the context was "decent photographers" - in the decent as in moral sense rather than those that go around creating itches.

In that case, it was more of a direct personal attack towards Lynton, implying that he was morally indecent and was deliberately causing an itch.

But anyway, as I said, it's not about Ujjwal there have been any number of posts asking about stickies... nothing back. Not gonna go to the hassle of creating pages of technical stuff only to have a "staff" member decide it's not his cup of tea so it's dropped...

You can't expect moderators to read every single thread, and every single post.
How many of these requests have been actually brought to the moderator's attentions? How many have been posted in the Forum Discussion forum? How many have actually directly contacted a mod. If there are any, then for that we can only offer apologies.

And to assume any such decision will be down to whether it's a moderator's 'cup of tea' is actually grossly insulting. If you stepped outside of this anti-moderation crusade shell, you'll realise that the overriding ethos of the forums that I personally strive for and repeat in many many of the things I do....is that what we do on the forums depends on whether it's good for the forum and it's members.

So to suggest anything other than that is just wrong.

Bodders...

I've changed me mind about that mod job - can I have Fand C Forum? :LOL:

Yes, it was a deliberate attack on Lynton. Which he apologised for and began to take an active (if slightly disbelieving/cynical) part in supplying the information requested. Deliberate attacks on individual's morals are what trolls expect/receive and look for - and Ujjwal thought Lynton was at that time trolling.

I assume nothing these days... :nono:

Interesting programme on Radio 3 last night with the bloke who wrote the new Facebook film and The West Wing. He summed up my feelings on the internet pretty succinctly, full of fantasists and stirrers. F&C is one of the rare exceptions if people leave it alone, unfortunately some people can't. Everyone deserves a voice, he said, not everyone deserves a microphone. Spot on.
F&C works because the subject is unimportant and users accept the fact - having it pointed out by posters who can't see they're also using tomorrow's landfill is simply ironic. There was no need for the mods to poke their nose in, nor make spurious claims about what the board's users are like. The handling of this episode has been a complete failure in moderation. I hope lessons are learned.

He summed up my feelings on the internet pretty succinctly, full of fantasists and stirrers.

Brilliant irony! If you don't like the moderation on these forums, you are more than welcome to leave.

Interesting programme on Radio 3 last night with the bloke who wrote the new Facebook film and The West Wing. He summed up my feelings on the internet pretty succinctly, full of fantasists and stirrers. F&C is one of the rare exceptions if people leave it alone, unfortunately some people can't. Everyone deserves a voice, he said, not everyone deserves a microphone. Spot on.
F&C works because the subject is unimportant and users accept the fact - having it pointed out by posters who can't see they're also using tomorrow's landfill is simply ironic. There was no need for the mods to poke their nose in, nor make spurious claims about what the board's users are like. The handling of this episode has been a complete failure in moderation. I hope lessons are learned.

Given the title of this thread an the fact that the moderation of this forum has been heavily criticised, you expected us NOT to get involved in this thread???

We've been ranted at and accused of all sorts yet no-one has been sanctioned/suspended/banned. So we're certainly not being heavy handed so maybe you'd like to point out exactly where this has been a complete failure in moderation, preferable without calling us Stalinist or oppressors or words to that effect. Yes a few posts were removed but only because they were getting personal and one of the moderators' tasks is to keep threads moving along without descending into abuse.

It's been pointed out at length that Ujjwal does not understand nuanced English, especially ironic invitations to take time out, ergo, the moderation failed him. I assume Marcel that you have a creative or financial interest in the board that allows you such liberties? Why it takes three mods(?) to take up the point I've no idea.

It's funny but most don't even think about mod's or admin most of the time, apart from when they fall foul of the rules, but I can tell you its hard work doing the job.

I was a site admin on a med sized social networking type site (just under 2 million members) and it really opened my eyes.
Just checking the reported stuff took hours each day and thats without checking for problems or having a little recreation time on the site yourself.
Yes you would occasionally get a mod playing god, but people who act like that rarely go any further and are quickly sorted out by the rest of the site staff..
I guess the purpose of this is to say don't knock it or the staff cos it is hard work and all done purely for the love of the site and in this case photography.
Oh and no I'm not ass licking to get anywhere, I gave it up on the other site because I'm not well enough to do it these days, nothing has changed there and its much more enjoyable to just sit back and take part in things.

<snip> I assume Marcel that you have a creative or financial interest in the board that allows you such liberties? Why it takes three mods(?) to take up the point I've no idea.

Err yeah, he co owns it!

Make that four :p

EDIT: Actually it's 6 ;)

Right then - now you are all here... Can we have an F+C mod please?

Arthur http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ambermile/titters/s***storm.gif

Sheesh this threads got an awful lot of traffic in it!!!

I edited my post back in the mists of the first page as I just knew that it would end up like this and realised that it wasn't the way to go about things.

Can we just not close this thread down and carry back on in our little quiet conventional little corner?

Ujjwals either gonna stay away, lurk in the background or come back, its up to him. Blathering on about in here isn't going to make a jot of difference!

We the F&C regular users tend to hide in here and as has been pointed out, not need much Moderating, lets all carry back on please?

Four mods to spell out how they didn't cock up? Nice F&C board BTW Marcel.

I actually remember your first post here when IIRC you had a whole bunch of cameras you'd inherited and wanted advice on ? It really wasn't that long ago and your attitude now and in such a short space of time is frankly insufferable. The F and C Forum was here long before you and would survive quite nicely I've no doubt without you.

There aren't many boards where you'd be indiulged as you have been in this thread despite the best efforts of several mods to patiently explain their position. Something you might care to think upon before you burn your bridges completely?

It's been pointed out at length that Ujjwal does not understand nuanced English, especially ironic invitations to take time out, ergo, the moderation failed him. I assume Marcel that you have a creative or financial interest in the board that allows you such liberties? Why it takes three mods(?) to take up the point I've no idea.

Because, like you, we are all entitled to our opinion and, as I said, given the title and nature of the thread, it's something that directly affects us.

Can we just not close this thread down and carry back on in our little quiet conventional little corner?

Sounds like a fine idea to me!

If any of my colleagues in the staff room want to re-open it then I'll leave that to them but it seems to me its serving no real purpose now :)

everyone else has had a go so I thought I'd drop in.

Some really bad attitudes being harboured here, some of those developing chemicals must be going to peoples heads.

/size 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back