Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Peter B

Peter B

Name:
    Peter
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    @Mrs Snap

Evening meal on the Saturday sounds just like the thing for meeting people and discussing plans for the following days, so I'm definitely up for that. Breakfasts and lunches I'll sort out for myself, while eating out in the evenings has that attractive ring to it. ;)

Andysnap and Mrs Snap like this.
  2. Mrs Snap

Mrs Snap

Name:
    Janet
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Fair enough, thanks for letting me know.

3. sirch

sirch Official Forum Numpty 2015

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It's like an electric carrier pigeon but no good for a stew.

Peter B and Mrs Snap like this.
  4. Andysnap

Andysnap POTY (Film) 2015

Name:
    Andy Grant
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Well I see no reason to change from carrier pigeon for either messages or stew. :D

sirch likes this.
  5. JackBell

JackBell

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Reading this as I can't sleep, I feel excited for you all and hope you have a great trip with some good photos and memories to bring back home.

6. RaglanSurf

RaglanSurf Forum Idiot'13/14 FPOTY'17

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Does anybody fancy doing the Glenfinnan Viaduct on the Sunday?

ChrisR likes this.
  7. Peter B

Peter B

Name:
    Peter
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The timetable suggest only the morning train runs after today, so that would be your starting point if you want the train on the viaduct. It doesn't mention Sundays, so presumably it runs on that day as well. https://www.westcoastrailways.co.uk/m/jacobite/dates-times.cfm

Edit: Obviously it comes back again in the afternoon on its return journey, but I think the usual (best?) shot is of it heading outwards?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  8. RaglanSurf

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Scrap that, it looks like the Sunday service stops at the end of September but Monday to Friday service runs while we're there.

9. Woodsy

Woodsy POTY Winner 2009

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    All sounds good to me! :)

10. StephenM

StephenM I know a Blithering Idiot

Name:
    Stephen
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    As Sue doesn't eat veg (apart from chips and baked beans (Heinz) stew probably wouldn't suit us. We're coming up early - meaning a couple of days before - with the idea of being able to get to West Yorkshire Cameras before we've wasted all the holiday money on non-essentials like food... Anyway, as we won't be making too long a journey on the Saturday, we'll probably have eaten before we arrive. Though depending on what we had, I might manage some stew. Otherwise, food sounds fine.

While we're talking of food and kitchens, is it normal to develop films on site? I was considering bringing a developing tank for sheet film, partly in case anyone wanted to try LF and avoid the issue of having to store exposed film. I'll have a changing tent with me in any case. I know it will also involve a few chemicals, bottles, a thermometer and clips.

11. Asha

Asha Blithering Idiot

Edit My Images:
    No
    It has been done before Stephen, I recall at Whipsnade a few years back and I guess possibly elsewhere since then.
    iirc the objects required, chems, scanner, laptop, dev tan etc etc were brought by different people so as to not put the "load" onto one person.

StephenM likes this.
  12. sirch

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I was going to put my tanks and chemicals in on the off-chance that I wanted to process anything.

StephenM likes this.
  13. excalibur2

excalibur2 Loretta

Name:
    Brian
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    At the bootie a few weeks ago a guy had a sorta large box (maybe folding cardboard one) but not home made, with hand holes with felt (to prevent light entering)....I thought at the time someone here would have wanted it...didn't bother to ask the price, silly really as it would have been a guide for what things like this go for.

14. Carl Hall

Carl Hall

Name:
    Carl
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Ahh damn, a changing tent!! I knew I'd forgotten something lol. Gonna have to leave a couple pairs of socks behind to fit that in my suitcase lol.

15. Mrs Snap

Mrs Snap

Name:
    Janet
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Can't you just use someone else's? I'm sure Andy will be taking his....

16. ChrisR

ChrisR

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Surely no-one would want to use Andy's socks?

Oh..... :D:D:D

Andysnap, Mr Badger and Mrs Snap like this.
  17. StephenM

Name:
    Stephen
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'll probably bring *two - and I only have one pair of arms to stick in 'em.... You're welcome to use one of them.

* Harrison Pup and the bigger Harrison - usable as a darkroom if you're small enough :D

18. Peter B

Peter B

Name:
    Peter
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Starting to think about what kit to pack and I think mainly the LF and the Bronica SQ. I'd be happy to bring the Yashicamat if anyone wants to play with a tlr, and I can bring the 5x4 pinhole if anyone wants to try that out? I'm assuming we're all adequately covered for 35mm, but I could bring some old Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses if you have a mount for your own camera make. Just a thought. :)

19. RaglanSurf

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It’s a tough choice but this trip I will be mostly using the Chroma, the Hasselblad, the FM3A and maybe the Zero Image 2000 pinhole.

This of course may change

stevelmx5 likes this.
  20. StephenM

Name:
    Stephen
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Sue was reckoning I should bring everything (if there's space) so apart from LF I may have Mamiya RZ67, C330f in roll film and OM outfit (probably NOT all the cameras OM1, 2, 4, 4Ti), Canon F1, Nikon F2 and F3 (leaving an F2 behind), Exakta (Kine and IIA, leaving an Exa and 3 Exaktas behind). None of the compacts though. Anyone bringing a Canon FD mount camera should get a chance to try the 55mm f/1.2 ASPH if they want - it works well wide open.

If space doesn't permit, then LF and RZ67 would be the minimal outfit. Plus a dreaded digi (Sony a7r2) which means a wide selection of 35mm lenses as well.

stevelmx5 and RaglanSurf like this.
  21. Asha

Asha Blithering Idiot

Edit My Images:
    No
    and will of course include H&S kit ( arm bands and snorkel) in case I stray into a loch! :ROFLMAO:

stevelmx5 and RaglanSurf like this.
  22. RaglanSurf

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Is anybody going to be there the week before and considering a visit to Ffordes?

23. StephenM

Name:
    Stephen
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    We'll be starting on Thursday, but with the idea of stopping in Yorkshire for West Yorkshire Cameras. Ffords isn't quite the same since they took over the whole building, and we found that it wasn't so easy to browse the stock (unless you were in to Leicas). The loss of the craft and coffee shop on the ground floor (have tea and cake and consider purchase) made it less of a place to visit unless you knew exactly what you wanted and could just ask at the counter. Others may view it differently.

WYC are set up for browsing, and impulse buys are more common.

On reflection, perhaps we should miss out WYC and go to Ffords :D.

It's a relatively quick journey* to Beauly from Onich, with Glen Affric available for a detour.

* But we do make round trips from Fort William to places like Ullapool as a day out.

24. Carl Hall

Carl Hall

Name:
    Carl
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Sounds like a place I need to steer clear from then! :LOL:

25. RaglanSurf

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I only ask as I’m considering a lens purchase and as I’m too tight to pay the postage wondered whether anyone would be going. I suppose I could always drive up in the week and do a little, not so impulsive, purchasing :D

26. StephenM

Name:
    Stephen
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It takes us about 90 minutes to tow a caravan from Fort William to Glenmore (8 miles beyond Aviemore), and Aviemore is about 33 miles from Inverness, with Beauly just beyond. Alternatively, you can travel up the side of the Great Glen and approach from the south which should be a shorter time. If interested in archaeology, going that way makes it only a small detour to the interesting chambered cairn at Corrimony and Glen Affric (which we were in a few weeks ago).

RaglanSurf likes this.
  27. Mrs Snap

Mrs Snap

Name:
    Janet
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It's a shame they don't open on Saturday because it wouldn't be much of a detour from your route from Inverness airport. It's just over 2 hours up the Great Glen (A82) to get to Beauly with plenty of nice stuff on the way. If I was doing it, I'd be tempted to carry on to Chanonry Point and see if the dolphins are around.

RaglanSurf likes this.
  28. Peter B

Peter B

Name:
    Peter
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'd agree with Stephen that the loss of the tearoom was a backward step, but also something of a success for the increase in stock, much of which is film based.

At the risk of being castigated and cast out of the F&C crowd, I am pondering on a visit to Ffordes on Tuesday 2nd Oct as they are having a Fuji X-T3 launch day. While I have no interest in buying one, it usually gives an opportunity to try out the various Fuji lenses on my X-T1, including the more expensive ones that I can't afford. I should know by Monday whether I'm going, as they'll not let me outside if the weather's poor and then there's no point in going, You can let me know if you are going to go ahead with the purchase and I could maybe pick it up? My only doubt about this would be that it won't be insured in transit with me if there proved to be something wrong with it, whereas it would be if it was sent by courier.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  29. Woodsy

Woodsy POTY Winner 2009

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'm trying desperately not to bring too much kit, as I want to keep things simple and as light as possible... So it'll be the LF kit and possibly, if I can be bothered, the Mamiya 645 with 55mm. I would considering bringing the FM3a, but I only have a 28mm prime for it, which is not so different from the 55mm on the mamiya, so little point really. The RB67 weighs about as much as I do, so screw that :D

30. RaglanSurf

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I know, it’s a real shame they’re not open on the Saturday, could have happily made the slight detour, ebpven if just for a mooch. It may be worth a trip on one of the days anyway.

Thanks Peter, I appreciate the offer, I’ll let you know if I decide to go ahead with the purchase although you may be right about the insurance thing so will bear it in mind.

31. StephenM

Name:
    Stephen
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I should be bringing a couple of Samyang lenses - the 14mm and 24mm TS - in Nikon mounts if that's any reason to bring an FM3A.

32. sirch

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    :thinking:

:D

Asha likes this.
  33. Woodsy

Woodsy POTY Winner 2009

Name:
    Jonathan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hehe, I should have added "just", implying as little camera kit as possible, while accepting the weight as a given :D

sirch likes this.
  34. Mr Badger

Mr Badger

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    If I were going to Scotland in October I wouldn't be relying on being able to use a LF camera due to the weather, which could well be wet and windy for a week or more up there at that time of year, so I'd really suggest taking another camera with me. Ideally, I'd take a compact 35mm, a 35mm SLR and a smallish MF camera and a films from 100 to 800 ISO, which should enable me to cope with most conditions. Taking just an LF camera could pretty much reduce you to observer status if the weather doesn't play ball.

35. StephenM

Name:
    Stephen
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I take a book for those conditions :D

36. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg

Name:
    Steven
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'm in the fortunate position of having an enormous car all to myself so i'm planning on just chucking the storage boxes everything lives in straight in the boot! My bigger problem is I keep forgetting to check how much film stock I have.

sirch, Asha and Mr Badger like this.
  37. Peter B

Peter B

Name:
    Peter
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Tis true. A good brolly and a willing assistant will sort out the wet, but possibly not the windy.

38. Mr Badger

Mr Badger

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Or the sleety, or the haily, or the thunder storm and lightingy.... ;) Joking aside, October is the storm season so don't let this week's lamb-like weather fool you.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  39. Mr Badger

Mr Badger

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Martin Parr's 'Bad Weather'? :D

40. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg

Name:
    Steven
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    October is a funny month, Storms can blow out by then and it can be glorious, cold, but glorious. There is plenty of booze for entertainment.

Mr Badger likes this.