F&C Trip to Scotland - Gauging Interest & Opinions - Booked!

General area & dates of possible Scotland trip

• Highlands

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • Lowlands

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Arran or another island

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • September 2018

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • October 2018

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • November 2018

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think I have about 15 which I will bring.

Last edited:
I'm jealous of you all. :(

Did a walk from Glen Affric to Kintail last week and the hills were beautiful and the weather very varied. No midges though! Bonus!

Have a great time!

Last edited:
Without wanting to sound too 21st century and scare Mr Snap should we start a WhatsApp group?
A Whats App group sounds like a good idea :D

I've finally found some head-space to devote to this trip, my current plan is to head up on Friday, overnight around the Trossachs and then have a leisurely meander to Onich on Saturday so if anyone is planning anything on Saturday it would be great to meet up.

I've ordered quite a lot of film (for me at least, 35mm, 120 and 4x5), bought another LF lens, just had to buy a few extra bits for the Bronica and even customised my dark cloth, so all set as long as I can get it all in the van :eek:

Really looking forward to it :)

I’ve created a WhatsApp group if you’d like to pm me your mobile numbers I’ll add you to the group.

Did someone mention pigeon stew a few pages back?

Sounds good to me.

Nikki and I are leaving Lancaster on Satruday morning to do the remainder of the journey up. It's likely we'll be kicking around well before 4pm, so happy to do something :)
Coming up from the south will bring you through Glencoe, which is a honeypot for landscapers (and climbers). Even in bad weather it might be worth a recce for later in the week? There are stacks of Glencoe photos on Flickr in a variety of weather conditions, so maybe allow some time there?

Yep, been there many a time before :) I know of a good few places to visit around there, but will likely take the opportunity on the way through :)

Any ideas on a good, relevant guidebook to the area?

Thanks folks. I was thinking about a more general guidebook. I'll have a look in the local library.

One other thing... can someone please bring some exposed 4x5 sheets so I can practise loading them into DDS in the light? Thanks...

I can bring some books if anyone is interested in having a look? I'll have a couple of LF books anyway, but I can bring the Ansel Adams Camera, Negative, Print trio if anyone wants to see them. I also have a variety of b&w books if anyone is interested?

I'll be bringing Grant6 Haist's Modern Photographic Processing (both vols), LFA Mason's Photographic Processing Chemistry, and Paul Lipscombe's Use of Historic Lenses in Contempory Photography. I don't know what LF books you have, but I think I won't bring Leslie Stroebel's big book, but I might bring Jim Stone's book if anyone would care to see it (and, assuming it's not on your list, Peter). I'll probably add Michael Langford's book with the interesting illustrations (unless I find I've photographed it and can bring the page that way). The Geveart Manual of Photography has a very interesting lengthy section on processing and the simplified chemistry thereof, but that's also a bit bulky (say 3 5x4 DDSs).

I’m definitely interested looking at in any books that anyone has, I don’t have any to bring myself.

@ChrisR I’ll try to remember to put in some gash 4x5’s that you can practice with

I've just shipped the last 3 "Scotland Meet" Chroma's so they should all be in their new homes by Wednesday :)

Vaguely terrifying!!!!

Edited to remove travel info...

Last edited:
I'm not planning on bringing any books and I'm hoping not to have the time to read any either. :beer::D

I'm not planning on bringing any books and I'm hoping not to have the time to read any either. :beer::D

Excellent news. I've just discovered 12 exposed sheets of 5x4 I didn't know I had, so I can bring them up with developing tanks etc. and set you to work :D

I’m definitely interested looking at in any books that anyone has, I don’t have any to bring myself.

I assume LF orientated? I might see if I can manage Leslie Stroebel's book unless anyone else volunteers to bring a copy.

Not reading? What's ale-ing you?

I'm just bringing picture books, should be easy enough to read whilst drinking.

Is there anyone coming that has a Mamiya 6 and willing to bring it? I'm keen to get my hands on one before deciding if I want to look into purchasing :)

Peering towards @raathistle :D

Last edited:
Is there anyone coming that has a Mamiya 6 and willing to bring it? I'm keen to get my hands on one before deciding if I want to look into purchasing :)

Peering towards @raathistle :D

I wasn't, and am supposed to be away this week, but I've just had a delightful 4 hour drive back from the lakes to try and sort out an issue with the house.

Lucky for you this means I can now bring the whole Mamiya 6 family for you to play with to your heart's content

I've got a 6 and a 6MF, plus the 50, 75 and 150mm lenses, and a polariser gizmo you can have a go at. Just got to try and find the batteries for them

Edited to add that I've also got a pile of ood velvia in 35mm that I'll bring up for anyone to have that wants it, and I'll have my XPAN with me as well as I know a lot of you were looking at them earlier in the year

Last edited:
I wasn't, and am supposed to be away this week, but I've just had a delightful 4 hour drive back from the lakes to try and sort out an issue with the house.

Lucky for you this means I can now bring the whole Mamiya 6 family for you to play with to your heart's content

I've got a 6 and a 6MF, plus the 50, 75 and 150mm lenses, and a polariser gizmo you can have a go at. Just got to try and find the batteries for them

Edited to add that I've also got a pile of ood velvia in 35mm that I'll bring up for anyone to have that wants it, and I'll have my XPAN with me as well as I know a lot of you were looking at them earlier in the year

Ahh man, I'm sorry to hear that. Really appreciate you bring it though! I really hope I don't like the 6 though, as I don't have the money to buy one currently :/

Ansel Adams managed to cope with rain, even with a view camera. Happily, I'm not Ansel Adams and I can sit it out :D

Indeed, we must show the proper spirit(s).

Back