F&C Trip to Scotland - Gauging Interest & Opinions - Booked!

General area & dates of possible Scotland trip

• Highlands

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • Lowlands

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Arran or another island

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • September 2018

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • October 2018

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • November 2018

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Something for you all to think about before we arrive. The house has 9 bedrooms (all en-suite):

5 x double / king size
3 x twin (one downstairs)
1 x single

There are 6 couples staying for the entire week:
@Mrs Snap & @Andysnap
@Carl Hall & Angi
@Woodsy & @nikki_s
@RaglanSurf & Shireen
@StephenM & Sue
@ChrisR & Sheila

One couple, each staying for different periods:
@kendo1 (all week) & Evey (2 nights, Sat - Mon)

Two lone attendees staying the entire week:
@raathistle
@medwaygreen

Two lone attendees staying shorter periods
@steveo_mcg (2 nights Sat - Mon)
Colin (Woodsy's friend) - (5 nights Mon - Sat)

Colin will have to use one of the two beds vacated on the Monday either by Evey or Steveo.

I'm not getting involved any further than this post. Work it out amongst yourselves!! ;)

Could sort out the men from the boys with some great shots in atrocious weather ;)

Ahh man, I'm sorry to hear that. Really appreciate you bring it though! I really hope I don't like the 6 though, as I don't have the money to buy one currently :/

No worries. You can always have one on a loan to try out, they mostly just sit inside shelf these days :(

In which case, we can drown our sorrows.

Well most of you can but I'm not sure about Nick @RaglanSurf …..

Them arm bands could make any form of drowning quite difficult…...Looks like you're gunna be a "floater" mate :wideyed::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Could sort out the men from the boys with some great shots in atrocious weather ;)

Is this referring to the weather or Janet's post just above yours? :exit:

Every time I go on an F&C meet it rains. Bristol - RAIN. Cornwall - RAIN. Scotland - RAIN. Don't think the Peaks was too bad though?

I got freaking drenched trying to walk up Pen Y Fan in Wales two weeks ago as well.

It's like I'm getting punished every time I leave Somerset :LOL:

Is this referring to the weather or Janet's post just above yours? :exit:

Too may people posting at once :D you'd think everyone would be at work and only retired people have time to post OR people at work, while the boss is not looking, are using the firms computer OR surreptitiously using their mobile o_O

Every time I go on an F&C meet it rains. Bristol - RAIN. Cornwall - RAIN. Scotland - RAIN. Don't think the Peaks was too bad though?

I got freaking drenched trying to walk up Pen Y Fan in Wales two weeks ago as well.

It's like I'm getting punished every time I leave Somerset :LOL:

What's handy is a long plastic sorta jacket with hood (that you can carry in your pocket)...I used this at meet at the peek and it protected my camera as well which was around my neck.

Anyone bringing an Ark? West coast forecast for Monday looks biblical!

I use a forecast site for the weather called Metcheck over the ten years plus I have used it mainly for fishing trips it has been very reliable.

The forecast for the Fort William area is not to bad for the week at the moment with Tuesday being the only wipe out day, so lets hope.

Look forward to seeing you all in 96 hours. :)

Opened my mouth to soon looks like it is rapidly changing.:(

Last edited:
The trouble with, and the beauty of Scotland (and the Lakes come to that) is that weather forecasts generally mean sod all. It can be absolutely pishing down in one valley and sunny over the next hill... and vice versa within minutes. :D I think the expression 'don't like the weather, just wait 20 minutes' is very apposite.

For what it's worth, the dry weather meant that when we were there in August, the waterfalls were a bit depleted. The rain should mean that they will be more impressive.

That's what I like to hear, silver linings.:)

Every cloud has a silver lining, true; but they can only be seen by someone who walks around with his head in the clouds.

No, only islands with sturdy and constantly accessible bridges will be visited.

Well, apart from film, we're packed and ready to go.... oh, probably need some clothes and stuff as well. :D

Something for you all to think about before we arrive. The house has 9 bedrooms (all en-suite):

5 x double / king size
3 x twin (one downstairs)
1 x single

There are 6 couples staying for the entire week:
@Mrs Snap & @Andysnap
@Carl Hall & Angi
@Woodsy & @nikki_s
@RaglanSurf & Shireen
@StephenM & Sue
@ChrisR & Sheila

One couple, each staying for different periods:
@kendo1 (all week) & Evey (2 nights, Sat - Mon)

Two lone attendees staying the entire week:
@raathistle
@medwaygreen

Two lone attendees staying shorter periods
@steveo_mcg (2 nights Sat - Mon)
Colin (Woodsy's friend) - (5 nights Mon - Sat)

Colin will have to use one of the two beds vacated on the Monday either by Evey or Steveo.

I'm not getting involved any further than this post. Work it out amongst yourselves!! ;)

We'd rather like an upstairs twin if that's logistically possible?

'm not getting involved any further than this post. Work it out amongst yourselves!!

Within certain obvious parameters I think the phrase 'first up, best dressed' applies here. The nearer to us being allowed in that you arrive the more choice you have.

We'll bring a thermos and sleeping bag then...

I've got no issue with that Chris, there are two twins upstairs so it should be fine.

I mainly posted the bedroom information just to remind attendees everyone will need a bed, whenever they arrive, whether it be for 2, 5 or 7 nights. I doubt any of the couples will have an issue with whether they get a double or a twin room. The 'single' travellers will have to work out between themselves who is sharing with who, and who gets the single room.

Last edited:
I've got no issue with that Chris, there are two twins upstairs so it should be fine.

I mainly posted the bedroom information just to remind attendees everyone will need a bed, whenever they arrive, whether it be for 2, 5 or 7 nights. I doubt any of the couples will have an issue with whether they get a double or a twin room. The 'single' travellers will have to work out between themselves who is sharing with who, and who gets the single room.

I do not mind what room, twin or single,just to remind other single visitors that I am a smoker, so it my be better that I am placed in the single,but, others can decide.

Only 72 hours to go. :)

In an ideal world we’d like a double room with a view of Torquay Bay or failing that the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.

In an ideal world we’d like a double room with a view of Torquay Bay or failing that the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Perhaps it cud be arranged for Shireen ;)

As for you young man, the coal shed MIGHT be given a sweep!:ROFLMAO:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Perhaps it cud be arranged for Shireen ;)

As for you young man, the coal shed MIGHT be given a sweep!:ROFLMAO:
Shireen is laughing at that Asha, I on the other hand, am not amused

Sorry, I've already claimed the room looking out over the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. You can't see Torquay Bay from the house, it's obscured by next doors outhouse! ;):D

Well may I ask what you expected to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...

Basil....Basil!!!

Feeling vaguely organised, dark slides loaded, 2 (partly consumed) bottles of single malt packed, 3 bodies with film in, gear and bags all over the house. Last minute wine shopping Friday morning and them I'm away :):):)

Nothing like organised. And not likely to be until Sunday at this rate....

I'm worrying about fitting everything in to the car. Sufficiently worrying to forget to pack things. So far I seem to have 3 complete LF outfits (2 5x4 and 10x8), 2 changing tents, 2 complete MF outfits, the intention to bring complete outfits for 4 different 35mm SLRs (Canon, Exakta, Nikon, Pentax), sundry books etc. I hadn't fully appreciated how big half a dozen 10x8 film holders were. Plus a fridge of film (well, not the fridge but the contents thereof). I have been wondering whether to bring a bottle of malt scotch named after one of the guests - I found it in at the back of a darkroom cupboard along with a bottle of Macallen 1968, so it's been around a while.

But you already suggested she should go by train to make more space after I'd removed the seat...

Back