F & C Week long trip to Cornwall!

Which week (sat to sat) in May would you prefer?

• 6th - 13th

• 13th - 20th

• 20th - 27th

Results are only viewable after voting.
Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all!

So during another resoundingly successful long weekend in the Peak District, the idea of a week-long trip was discussed and there seemed to be a lot of love for Cornwall. To that end, I think it'd be awesome to spend a week on the North Cornwall coast, which @nikki_s and I are happy to organise as we know the north coast quite well now. The short summary of what was discussed was as follows:

• Week-long trip on the north coast.
  • House big enough for a group of people committed to the whole week with as much space available (while being realistic about costs) to allow for people to come for shorter periods/extended weekend as well. The (possible) idea here being that those staying for the whole week foot the cottage cost and who are hence partially refunded by those who contribute for staying less than the whole week.

Apologies to those that were not present for these random discussions during the peaks, it was mainly discussed on Sunday night/Monday morning, after quite a few had left already. Those I believe are interested in the whole week already are: @Andysnap, @Mrs Snap, @RaglanSurf, @ChrisR, @nikki_s, @donut, me, @Carl Hall and respective other halves. Please do correct me if I'm wrong! If so, that already bring the total for the week to 12. So the first question is, is there anyone else who is notionally interested in coming for the whole week? If so, and with dates discussed below, please let me know as soon as possible with an idea of the degree of commitment. Obviously there will be a date by which we need to book and hence a deadline for confirming interest. TBC.

The second question is, is there anyone who is interested in coming for part of the week or a long weekend? This will give us a better idea of how much bigger the cottage/house needs to be. Naturally, it'd be best if the house was as full as possible, for as long as possible. So, for example, this means that if people wanted to do a short break away during the week and not overlap with the weekends, that'd be completely workable. Please let us know who you are, when you might be interested in staying, for how long, and a degree of commitment.

Dates

It was further discussed that, due to annual leave constraints, if the trip could be booked for after April such that a new years quota of annual leave had begun, that would be highly favourable. As such, May both suits this requirement, and also offers other advantages, such as: relatively warm weather, decent daylight hours, good sunset angles with respect to the coast line, not during Easter and not during school holidays so as to keep the house cost down. We should further avoid the bank holiday weekends for the same reason. Given all of that, I believe (and please do correct me here) that the weeks available are (Saturday - Saturday):

• 6th - 13th,
  • 13th - 20th,
  • 20th - 27th
There is a mild preference towards the earlier the better, solely because I believe the prices for the house in early May are marginally cheaper than later in the month. June/July/August means the prices increase significantly!

Other Bits

The idea would be to find a house that is near to local amenities and, as much as is reasonable, nearish to a main road to keep travel times to places from the house as short as possible. Completely open to debate, but near Padstow might be a good first place to look. It further means that those not necessarily as interested in a slightly more dedicated landscape/seascape photography trip still have good access to stuff to do. As with both the extended weekend trips that 'The Snaps' have organised, there's nothing stopping sub-groups heading off and doing their own thing.

Food arrangements and other common stuff is still up in the air and ideas / discussion would be awesome! :)

Naturally this post and thread will be a work in progress, and will be updated as/when necessarily/as requested.

EDIT 1 12/01/17
[
Options:

The Roundhouse
https://www.cornishhorizons.co.uk/north-coast-cottages/little-petherick/p00096-the-roundhouse?fromdate=05 May 2017&nights=7&adults=10

£1695/week, sleeps 10 in 2 doubles and 3 twins. Ideally placed between the A39 and Padstow making transport easy and it's close-ish to a large Tesco. Parking for 4 cars. Friday changeover. [Currently available starting April 21st, April 28th, May 5th and May 19th, ALL Options are £1695/week.]

Trenance Farmhouse
https://www.holidaycottages.co.uk/c...-farmhouse?n=7&period=6&year=2017&sd=06052017

£980/week, sleeps 10 in 3 doubles and 2 twins. A little more rural in Mawgan Porth, but still situated between Newquay and Padstow. Parking for 5 cars off road. Saturday changeover. [Currently available on April 22nd @ £1190/week, and 6th, 13th and 20th May @ £980/week.]

Romanov
https://www.cornishhorizons.co.uk/north-coast-cottages/mawgan-porth/p00084-romanov?fromdate=06 May 2017&nights=7&adults=10

£1626/week, sleeps 10 in 3 doubles and 2 twins. A little more rural as well, but *Excellent* sea views (I should know, Nikki, families and I stayed here over Christmas). Located in Mawgan Porth, has a shop near by, as well as a pub just outside of walking distance (5 min drive). Parking for 4-5 cars at a squeeze, but has parking in the village nearby suitable for over night. Friday changeover. [Currently available April 28th, and 5th and 12th of May, all @ £1626/week.
]

EDIT 2 18/01/17
[
So, we are staying here subject to receiving their confirmation email and invoice etc:
http://www.cornishcottageholidays.co.uk/atlantic-coast-cottages/mawgan-porth/trelawns/
From the 12th to the 19th of May. Total cost is £899 + £35 booking fee, making £934 total, split equally.

:D
]

EDIT 3
[
Booking Confirmed by email :D.
]

EDIT 4
[
Just by way of keeping track, shares of the deposits have been paid by:

me (obviously)
nikki_s
Andy Snap
Mrs Snap
Raglansurf
Mrs Surf
ChrisR
Mrs ChrisR
]

Last edited:
Valley of the rocks and Lynmouth..just a few lovely places I remember...but in Devon though as an alternative idea.

Last edited:
Brilliant idea, I might even tell the Mrs about this one!

Three further criteria, plenty of parking, not too far from a supermarket (as we discovered at the Peaks, there are essentials that run out at awkward times). Walking distance to a pub that serves affordable food would also be a bonus!

Three further criteria, plenty of parking, not too far from a supermarket (as we discovered at the Peaks, there are essentials that run out at awkward times). Walking distance to a pub that serves affordable food would also be a bonus!

Like soap :D anybody washed using shaving cream :eek:

That's an impressively competent and organised approach you're taking Mr Woods! It makes a change from the standard F&C way of organising meets, slapdash and haphazard with a hint of "don't worry, it'll all work out in the end!!" :D:LOL:

Well done that man!

A week with you lot, I'd be demented :D

Tragically I can't make this one its too far for the weekend and I'd never get a week pass!

Tragically I can't make this one its too far for the weekend and I'd never get a week pass!
Return flights from Edinburgh to Exeter next March (that's as far in advance you can book at the moment) £104.99

Don't forget guys it can be freezing at nights in May so later the better...as gardeners say "Ne'er cast a clout till May be out".

Don't forget guys it can be freezing at nights in May so later the better...as gardeners say "Ne'er cast a clout till May be out".

It can be freezing at night in August in this country. :D

Absolutely. Three very good points taken on board. Short listing of properties has begun, with obvious re-searches occurring as and when points are raised.

That's an impressively competent and organised approach you're taking Mr Woods! It makes a change from the standard F&C way of organising meets, slapdash and haphazard with a hint of "don't worry, it'll all work out in the end!!" :D:LOL:

Well done that man!

Thankyees! @nikki_s oversaw the entire thing, just in case I roger something up :D

Arrgh, temptation....

Do it :D

It can be freezing at night in August in this country. :D

Indeed Andy but quite a few times the blossom of my pear trees and greengages etc have been killed off by frost in May, and not forgetting for us soft southerners waking up in the morning after a cold night and having to wash :eek::D

Washing is for girls. I only wash in cold, winter streams using a rock as a sponge. :rolleyes:

I am up for the whole week if it's the first week of the three, but I forgot that I'm actually in Torquay from the 19th to the 22nd for a skittles tournament. If the second or third weeks are picked then I'll still come for as much as I can, but I won't be able to do the whole week unfortunately.

Also, my route to Cornwall actually takes me within a mile of Exeter Airport, so if the times match up I'm happy to pick someone up on the way past.

I'll be able to make it down (actually, probably UP if it's North Cornwall!) for a couple of day trips and will even dig out a fillum body so I don't get beaten up! Be good to put some faces to names.

Just a few locations to lob in to the list of possibles - Boscastle Harbour, St Nectan's Glen and falls, Tintagel Castle and Trebarwith Strand.

There's a camp site in Tintagel (the Headland Caravan Park) which has some static caravans for hire as well as a fair few pitches for tents. Easy walk up into the village to a selection of pubs. The Port William at Trebarwith Strand has a few rooms but they're not particularly cheap - food's good there though so worth a lunch or supper after the sunset.

Not sure what's available in terms of house lets for a week - we're so close that we usually do it as a day trip, although we did used to do a few days camping when liquid suppers were more the norm than an unusual occurrence!

Any of the weeks will be fine for me.

I'll be able to make it down (actually, probably UP if it's North Cornwall!) for a couple of day trips and will even dig out a fillum body so I don't get beaten up! Be good to put some faces to names.

Just a few locations to lob in to the list of possibles - Boscastle Harbour, St Nectan's Glen and falls, Tintagel Castle and Trebarwith Strand.

There's a camp site in Tintagel (the Headland Caravan Park) which has some static caravans for hire as well as a fair few pitches for tents. Easy walk up into the village to a selection of pubs. The Port William at Trebarwith Strand has a few rooms but they're not particularly cheap - food's good there though so worth a lunch or supper after the sunset.

Not sure what's available in terms of house lets for a week - we're so close that we usually do it as a day trip, although we did used to do a few days camping when liquid suppers were more the norm than an unusual occurrence!

Any of the weeks will be fine for me.

Many thanks for the suggestions :)

Can I just confirm then, you're not interested in a place in the accommodation?

No accommodation required for me, thanks.

I have cast my vote for the 20th - 27th and would just like to point out that the weather first May bank holiday is notoriously s***

Put me and Mrs Surf down for the week.

Last edited:
I have cast my vote for the 20th - 27th and would just like to point out that the weather first May bank holiday is notoriously s***

You can virtually guarantee at least some rain during any 7 day period down here, although bank holiday weather does seem to be worse than average!

We're free any of those weeks and have no particular preference. Count us in as definites :)

No accommodation required for me, thanks.

No probs, thanks for letting me know :)

Excellent! Just to confirm, is the 20-27th the only week you can do, or are you free for all and that's the preferred week?

We're free any of those weeks and have no particular preference. Count us in as definites :)

Splendid :D

Excellent! Just to confirm, is the 20-27th the only week you can do, or are you free for all and that's the preferred week?

No, it's just a preference but we can do any of those weeks at the moment.

Might I briefly inquire as to whether anyone else is keen for this trip, either for all or in part? Only it helps in searching for suitable accommodation :)

I'm keen, but Mrs R declines to say before knowing more about it, and reminds me we are supposed to be going to Sorrento some time in the Spring, no date yet!

I'm keen for the complete trip (so as to make the trip worthwhile), however unless there is a significant change in my present financial situation during the coming months, it aint gunna be possible:(

No money? well check your new £5 note as serial no beginning with AK47 might be fetching £65,000...I have AK16 and guys on the bay are trying to get £60 for it :eek:

I haven't had a proper paper one for 2 weeks...:)

Anyway, are the dates nailed on bottomed yet ?

And.....about the weather....

This household is seriously considering shifting "big holiday" from mid summer to early summer on the basis that for the past few years, late May early June has been a country mile better than the traditional july/august holiday window.
I dunno why, climatic changes, cyclical shifts in weather patterns....who knows but its been so noticeable I'll put money on good weather for late may/june time...:)

I haven't had a proper paper one for 2 weeks

You should go to the doctor's, that sounds bad. :D

We have had a week away in May for the past many years and pretty much always have good weather even at the beginning of the month, same for September, always better than July/August.

I'm keen, but Mrs R declines to say before knowing more about it, and reminds me we are supposed to be going to Sorrento some time in the Spring, no date yet!

Keen is good :) As for knowing more about it, what do you need to know? Only nothing has really been set in stone yet, so perhaps let us know some possible requirements?

I'm keen for the complete trip (so as to make the trip worthwhile), however unless there is a significant change in my present financial situation during the coming months, it aint gunna be possible:(

Ok, well keep us posted and let us know asap if anything changes :)

Sorry bud, I'm going to have to miss this one. It wouldn't be feasible to do a week and we're going to Florida at the end of next year so all budget is capped :0)

Shame chap :( Remember though that it doesn't have to be the full week... We can work around short breaks as well.

Anyway, are the dates nailed on bottomed yet ?

And.....about the weather....

This household is seriously considering shifting "big holiday" from mid summer to early summer on the basis that for the past few years, late May early June has been a country mile better than the traditional july/august holiday window.
I dunno why, climatic changes, cyclical shifts in weather patterns....who knows but its been so noticeable I'll put money on good weather for late may/june time...:)

Dates are not nailed, no. That's the point in the poll. If, once everyone who wants to come has made it apparent, I don't see why we can't readdress the dates. Naturally though we want as many people as possible to come along, so it'll have to be a date range that suits as many as possible.

I'm gonna be in Cornwall around meet time.....maybe
But, all is not lost there's still time to change your venue.........:ROFLMAO:

Back