F1 season 2016

Marko upset with Kvyat
Demoting him to Torro Rosso and promoting Verstappen to Red Bull with immediate effect according to the rumors
Now confirmed by Horner
A hard hard team no quarter given

Last edited:
Marko upset with Kvyat
Demoting him to Torro Rosso and promoting Verstappen to Red Bull with immediate effect according to the rumors
Now confirmed by Horner

He has been driving like a tw@t this year, so probably deserved.

Max Verstappen will replace Daniil Kvyat at Red Bull Racing with immediate effect. In a straight swap, the move will also see Kvyat will return to Toro Rosso from the Spanish Grand Prix, F1Today.net can exclusively reveal.

According to various sources, Kvyat has been under fire for his poor performances during the past two Grand Prix's in China and Sochi,owing to contact with Sebastian Vettel, with the German retiring on the opening lap in the most recent race. He was asked to come to the Red Bull Racing headquarters at Milton Keynes this week to discuss the race and his actions.

http://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/2...akes-over-seat-of-kvyat-with-immediate-effect

Marko upset with Kvyat
Now confirmed by Horner

I would not of thought it would help either team, both drivers have to get used to 2 different cars with differing power units and characteristics, I suspect its more to keep Verstappen happy and avoid him moving to Ferrari.

I would not of thought it would help either team, both drivers have to get used to 2 different cars with differing power units and characteristics, I suspect its more to keep Verstappen happy and avoid him moving to Ferrari.

Doubtful, I would think they would have done it at the end of the season (and signed him up behind the scenes now), it's pretty dramatic to drop a driver mid season like that.

Most seem to think it political with kvyat giving them an excuse
Max could have a 2020 contract now and get used to the car as it progresses through 2016. Red Bull still expect a competitive engine will be given to them soon if not next season
If Riccardo signs for Ferrari it could leave them without much in the way of experienced drivers so I expect the riccardo team are negotiating quite hard about now

In the meantime the bonfire is being built under Bernie
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns33758.html

Last edited:
Look back at Ferrari's past and you'll see that Red Bull are rank tyros in comparison.

2016 FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO DE ESPAÑA PIRELLI

2p7aPA7.png

Catalunya
Lap length 4.655km (2.892 miles)
Race laps 66
Race distance 307.104km (190.826 miles)
Pole position Left-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’21.670 (Kimi Raikkonen, 2008)
Fastest lap 1’19.954 (Rubens Barrichello, 2009, )
Maximum speed 332kph (206.295 mph)
DRS zone/s (race) Pit straight and straight after Campsa
Distance from grid to turn one 730m

UK Times
Friday 13th May 2016
Spanish Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 10:00-11:30 (UK time: 9:00-10:30)
Spanish Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 14:00-15:30 (UK time: 13:00-14:30)
Saturday 14th May 2016
Spanish Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 11:00-12:00 (UK time: 10:00-11:00)
Spanish Grand Prix Qualifying: 14:00 (UK time: 13:00)
Sunday 15th May 2016
Spanish Grand Prix: 14:00 (UK time: 13:00)

Previous Winners
2015 Germany Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2014 United Kingdom Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2013 Spain Fernando Alonso Ferrari Report
2012 Venezuela Pastor Maldonado Williams–Renault
2011 Germany Sebastian Vettel Red Bull–Renault
2010 Australia Mark Webber Red Bull–Renault
2009 United Kingdom Jenson Button Brawn–Mercedes
2008 Finland Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari
2007 Brazil Felipe Massa Ferrari
2006 Spain Fernando Alonso Renault
2005 Finland Kimi Räikkönen McLaren–Mercedes
2004 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2003 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2002 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2001 Germany Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2000 Finland Mika Häkkinen McLaren–Mercedes

Videos
Maldonado onboard 2012
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUud1QkCgyI

1994 Schumacher stuck in 5th
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xazImNY0hNg

Facts From Previous Race

Nico Rosberg’s victory for Mercedes in the Russian Grand Prix was the tenth in a row for the team – and leaves them poised to equal the all-time record. McLaren’s record of winning eleven consecutive world championship rounds has stood for 28 years.

Rosberg is the man of the moment having won all of the last seven races, including all four so far this season. This is only the fourth time in F1 history the same driver has won seven races in a row. Two more wins will put Rosberg level with Vettel’s record of nine in a row.

This is also the fifth time in F1 history the same driver has won the opening four races – Rosberg following the likes of Schumacher (1994 and 2004), Nigel Mansell (1992) and Senna (1991).

Rosberg’s 18th victory of his career was also significant for being his first ‘grand slam’ of victory, pole position and fastest lap plus leading every lap of the race. He is the 24th driver in the history of the sport to achieve a perfect result.

Leading from pole-to-flag means Rosberg has now been at the front of the field for 83% of all laps raced this year – 186 to Hamilton’s one.

This was also Rosberg’s 16th fastest lap and 24th pole position. The latter puts him in a tie for tenth place on the all-time list with Niki Lauda and Nelson Piquet. It also saw Mercedes reach their 57th pole position at their 131st start, putting them fifth in the all-time list alongside Red Bull who have started 207 races.

Mercedes engines have enjoyed a long period of sustained success. This was the 138th race in a row they finished in the points, a streak which began at the 2008 Chinese Grand Prix.

This equals the second-longest points streak for an engine manufacturer, at least officially: Renault’s 138-race points streak ended in Abu Dhabi last year, but their TAG Heuer-branded power units did score in Australia courtesy of Red Bull.

However both still have a long way to go to equal the record held by Ford. Their Cosworth-built engines scored in 228 consecutive races between 1967 and 1983, when points were only offered to the top six.

The Renault works team were back among the points scorers, however. Kevin Magnussen took their first points since Vitaly Petrov’s tenth place in the 2011 Brazilian Grand Prix. Team mate Jolyon Palmer slipped up by finishing 13th, however – he’d been 18th in all three practice sessions and qualifying.

For the second year running Nico Hulkenberg went out on the first lap of the race. He sat out first practice while Alfonso Celis drove his car. With Sergio Perez and Esteban Gutierrez also on the track, this was the largest Mexican contingent ever seen in an official F1 session.

Finally, it was Ferrari’s 700th podium finish.

Drivers’ Chosen Tyres
ChhrcfIWIAAF4oy.jpg

Championship Standings
YF2CsIR.png

uxljTTe.png

Well in my humble opinion that was one great race. There has been a lot of good racing this year but not at the front, until now. Mercedes will have to have another strong debrief with their drivers but I hope they let them continue to race or it won't be worth watching as no other team are able to take them on yet.
Next we come to Max Verstappen, he drove a brilliant race, didn't have to pull off any of his wonderful overtaking moves but just drove a flawless race from beginning to end with constant pressure from far more experienced competition.
Red bull are going to have to explain to Daniel why they chose the strategy they did but to be fair it's easy to be smart with hind site.

Last edited:
No action to be taken with Car 6 and 44 racing incident
http://www.f1technical.net/news/20335

Strange decision as Rosberg was going away from the racing line, in fact he was on the complete opposite side of the track to be on the racing line and appeared to break 2 parts of the regs with his actions.

More than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted. Any driver moving back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off‐line, should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner.

Manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are not permitted.

I have no doubt this will be debated for ever but the stewards have spoken
Lauda blames Hamilton
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns33877.html
I think 20.3 wasnt applied The stewards agreed Nico was defending his position but it was no where near a car width that was left
Maybe as its a newish rule and they havnt caught up yet or as the Mercs ruled themselves out of contention that was punishment enough either way it sends out the wrong signal and will lead to inconsistency in the future

Media saying Hammy was to aggressive ,is this not suppose to be the pinnacle of motorsport. Hammy is an out and out racer unfortunately the same can't be said for Rosberg . They were kinda both at fault ,Rosberg should have left room ,Hammy should have noticed nicos light flashing ,easy for us fans to criticise from a far . Delighted for Verstapen and his dad . Ricardo was dealt a raw deal IMO .

Last edited:
Lewis aggressive now is that news
Had nico observed the rules and left a cars width when blocking Lewis would have been along side and faster than Nico who had selected the wrong programme
It was Nico selecting the wrong programme that presented Lewis with an opportunity, what occurred shouldn't have but wasnt unexpected given there styles
Nico and merc would be better off if he started looking at Ferrari

Oh dear, not a very good day for Mercedes!
At least the situation is no worse for Lewis points wise.
I'm not convinced they are both to blame, why Nico was that far over the other side of the track I've no idea. If he was covering Lewis's charge up the inside then he needs to leave a car's width which he clearly didn't.
What a brilliant race for the young Verstappen though, a mature head on a young body. It's no mean feat to keep a Ferrari behind you especially one driven by an on form Kimi

This goes back to last year when Nico accused Hamilton of crowding him off the track a couple of times, the last time was the hat throwing incident.
This was nIco trying to give lewis a taste of his own medicine but getting it all wrong.

@mxfun - Hammy should have noticed nicos light flashing - he did, hence the slowing and the overtake attempt. He said this clearly in his interview. Nicos interview was an attempt to shift blame when he clearly knew he was at fault.

Apart from Lauda, every other driver commentator said it was Nicos fault. I thought Anthony Davidson's analysis was brilliant.

If you changed lanes in your car on a dual carriageway with a single mirror check after playing with the stereo and staring at the sat nav for the last 20 seconds and wiped out a faster car it would be your fault.

I know f1 racing and road driving bear no resemblance but basically that is what nico had done. Messed up his settings with no engineer to talk him through it, adjusted them mid corner, glanced in his mirror to see Hamilton on the inside, didn't appreciate (or care for more likely) the speed difference and swerved off the racing line to block him.

The only justice was that hamilton's spin took Nico out too!

I am at a loss with the reporting on this
Lauda says it was lewis's fault being too aggressive, which if you have shares in mercedes seeing one car punt off the other I suppose he would see it that way better to have two safe cars seeing the chequered flag than none In which case dump one of the drivers and get a safe wing man

Then there is another report that says once Nico found the correct programme and hit the overtake button and he then carried on at the same speed as Hamilton on his racing line and Lewis was just there The trouble I have with that is the racing line I didnt think it was on the right touching grass for the next corner which was a right hander

Nico's move was an aggressive block on a car that was traveling 20k faster He is a professional he knew Lewis was coming and the only sane way was on the right for the inside line on the next corner Surely he has to obey the rules 20.3 was designed to stop this very thing but obviously not. He got off lightly with the stewards but inside the team I arnt so sure there is a lot of history thats not too much in his favour

Last edited:
20.3 refers to a driver moving back to the racing line, after defending offline. Nico didn't return to the racing line, so it doesn't apply.

Also, I don't think Lauda stops to think about corporate issues, when he makes a driving related statement. He calls it as he sees it, purely from a driver's perspective.

Last edited:
Best race of the season as far as I could see.
Brilliant tactics by Red Bull, and brilliant driving by Verstappen to hold off Kimi for so long.

I forget - what happened to Mercedes?

How wide is the car I am driving. They are both in wrong but it's not the first time Hamilton has used similar tactics. Mercedes needs to control these two drivers

So shall we start the rumours now?
Who will be sitting in a Mercedes cockpit next season?
Hamilton & Rosberg
Hamilton & ?
Rosberg & ?

How wide is the car I am driving. They are both in wrong but it's not the first time Hamilton has used similar tactics. Mercedes needs to control these two drivers

Nico said - he didnt realise lewis was there - Hum...

OL0wvqBA.jpg

This of course goes back to last year. Nico accused lewis a couple of times of agressively running him off circuit, one time resulted in the hat throwing.
Nico tried to pay him back, assuming it was accepted as fair game between them and got it wrong.

Then theres the body language
Lewis had his hands covering his visor instantly realising the gravity of the incident. Rapidly turning to anger (and some have said petulance) with his steering wheel. Real anger there

Nico you would have thought would be fuming, as he'd been taken out whilst in the lead, but seemed to just get out, shrug and walk away. I'd have expected some gesticulation or response there & then. Surely that's human nature?

Was that then the reaction of someone who had cooled down instantly or the reaction of someone who's thinking, 's
censored.gif
t, I shouldn't have done that'.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBR
Hamilton & Rosberg
Hamilton & ?
Rosberg & ?

Hamilton has only recently signed a 3 year contract, so it's got to be Hamilton & ....

Hamilton & Rosberg
Hamilton & ?
Rosberg & ?
Reading between the lines is what you have to do with this article Although I would discount Alonso you could add Bottas
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns33890.html
20.3 refers to a driver moving back to the racing line, after defending offline. Nico didn't return to the racing line, so it doesn't apply
I read that slightly different and to be honest the more I read 20.3 the less sense it makes

I would love to see Verstappen alongside Lewis but I would think Marko has firmly nailed him to Red Bull before he switched his drivers, at least for the next three or four years.
Having said that there is always the other Red Bull driver. He's shown his displeasure on a few occasions and also has the same just go for it passing style without the bent body work.

Then again if Hamilton had a clause in his contract (does anyone know?) I wouldn't mind a few quid on him driving a red car next season.

I love Max! What a fantastic talent / guy!! Superb racer and a brilliant ambassador for the sport.

One crash and everyone is changing teams?? For 33 million a year, I'd sit in last for as long as they kept paying me, it's not like Lewis is in a slow car...

He will come back, rosberg will surely have his fair share of the reliability issues or a bad quali, as it stands, 1 DNF for nico and if Lewis wins, the points difference is back to 18, I can't see rosberg winning the championship, he will throw it away

As for ricciardo, I'm sure they were racing vettel on the same strategy, verstappen was racing kimi on a 2 stop, they former couldn't catch up and capitalise

Last edited:
".......

As for ricciardo, I'm sure they were racing vettel on the same strategy, verstappen was racing kimi on a 2 stop, they former couldn't catch up and capitalise

Of course they were but what upset our ozzie pal was they didn't cover Vettell when he came in for last stop!

Given that he's quoted as saying "I'm confident that we will be very competitive there. Clearly I want to get my fourth win in a row." and he DNF the last race, I'm not so sure of the reporting but if he DID say that, he's gone loopy!

He also said
The switch for the engine mode was not in the correct position so we need to investigate why that was so," he added.
Does this mean someone else was in the car with him ? or has someone sabotaged his knob (maybe I should rephrase that)

Back