Fabulous Farne Islands

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Enjoyed two visits to the Farne Islands so far, maybe one more to come.
Love the Puffins, such a wonderful, colourful little bird and they certainly work hard to get the Sand-eels and Sprats to feed the youngsters ... running the gauntlet of the gulls to return them safe to their burrows.

A couple of images (which I hope will post in the poor Internet connection).

A real mouthful!

Puffin-Head.jpg

These birds really move so fast!

Puffin-flight.jpg

Some times they just pass you by :)

Fly-past.jpg

Not easy to catch these little bullets in flight, nice one. The first is a high quality shot, always good to see them with full beaks, but I'm wondering if there is anything in the original that could help get some detail in the eye.

Mike

Thanks folks, so many great opportunities for photos here :)

Not easy to catch these little bullets in flight, nice one. The first is a high quality shot, always good to see them with full beaks, but I'm wondering if there is anything in the original that could help get some detail in the eye.

Mike
Thanks Mike, there is a lot of processing to do and I am sure I can get more detail in the eye on this one, (or an alternative shot), I will have more opportunity when I get home ... or if the rain spoils a day!

Awesome - must get back there!

lovely mate great place and enjoyed my visit

Just superb, every one: lovely shots, and a noteworthy demonstration of enviable technical expertise

Superb shots Roger (y)

Thanks all, it's been a great return visit to the area ... would recommend it to anyone who enjoys photographing wildlife :)

Very nice Roger

Presume you got to both islands and these are from Inner Farne which is the best of the two and where there were no landings during the week we were there last year

Very nice Roger

Presume you got to both islands and these are from Inner Farne which is the best of the two and where there were no landings during the week we were there last year
Thanks Stan, yes I got to both islands but there have been very few opportunities over the last month due to the weather.
My first visit last week had a shortened stay on the 1st island but since then things seem to be back to normal :)

Thanks Stan, yes I got to both islands but there have been very few opportunities over the last month due to the weather.
My first visit last week had a shortened stay on the 1st island but since then things seem to be back to normal :)

Only there Mon-Fri the other week and sailed only one day lucky for me :)

Only there Mon-Fri the other week and sailed only one day lucky for me :)
Billy Shiel has had several boat-loads each day since we arrived ... my last visit we had a pod of Dolphins around the boat for about 10 mins :)

Lovely set Roger- I've booked a 2 week trip next June - staying in Seahouses

Les

Is it a puffin or an albatross in the last picture? He looks enormous compared with the photographer.

(presumably he was closer to you than the man, but that isn't the impression you get given the man seems to be looking at the bird)

Really terrific Riger, now I want to go back there even more!
The first shot is fantastic but all three sum up the pure magical place it is and what a great opportunity to see nature up close and personal. Great job well done!

Lovely set Roger- I've booked a 2 week trip next June - staying in Seahouses

Les
You will love it Les :)

Is it a puffin or an albatross in the last picture? He looks enormous compared with the photographer.

(presumably he was closer to you than the man, but that isn't the impression you get given the man seems to be looking at the bird)
If you look again I think you will see that the tog is looking away from the bird ... the Puffin of course flying between me and the tog.

Pics or it didn't happen! :D
The skipper having advised of the prospect of strong spray on the trip back, (which we did get!), I had packed my equipment away and tried a bit of video on the iPhone - not very successful! :(

That first one one is absolutely stunning (y)

Jealous as hell TBH, Roger, but hopefully one day I'll get there :)
Well worth the visit, such a great variety of birds and photographic opportunities :)

bet you are having a ball Roger and in your elements

Great shots, in all ways and of your usual (high) quality

Is there a little "blown" area in image #1 and a little NR on the bill that you can improve ......... it is a wonderful image anyway

bet you are having a ball Roger and in your elements

Great shots, in all ways and of your usual (high) quality

Is there a little "blown" area in image #1 and a little NR on the bill that you can improve ......... it is a wonderful image anyway
Thanks Bill, I don't think any of the white is blown in this one (though there was in some others as sunlight with white/black is of course challenging). The was no specific N/R on the beak, though as with many of my images a minimal pass of Define 2 was applied as the first point of processing ... I have many to process so I will experiment :)

Thanks Bill, I don't think any of the white is blown in this one (though there was in some others as sunlight with white/black is of course challenging). The was no specific N/R on the beak, though as with many of my images a minimal pass of Define 2 was applied as the first point of processing ... I have many to process so I will experiment :)

look very much less blown this morning Roger, maybe it was last night's light - I referred to just a small patch that I felt you could get a little more detail out of

Fantastic images, love the first though I went earlier in June 3rd year running love it, although we got to land on the inner Farne they said it was to unsafe to land on Staple Island.

Back