Facebook (stealing our work?)

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
No
"By posting User Content to any part of the Site, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to the Company an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such User Content for any purpose on or in connection with the Site or the promotion thereof, to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such User Content, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing."

So, in plain english, they can do whatever the hell they want with any of our images that we upload or any content we put up. They can make a book from our blog entries and sell a million copies, and we wouldn't get a cent.

That's from the Facebook TOS - I think that's complete BS.

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but it's new to me, so I'm gonna start a nice rant!

If I knew about this earlier I would of never uploaded a single photo onto Facebook...

If I knew about this earlier I would of never uploaded a single photo onto Facebook...

Maybe you should have read the T&C's first then? It's a free world and if those are the conditions that facebook want to apply then you have the option to agree or not post quite simple really. They certainly are not stealing or robbing anyone.

So what does that mean?

Tony

Means they can use our images that we upload in any advertising campaign internationally, or resell them, or do whatever they want with them. And with our content (blog entries, etc), they could make a book if they wanted and we wouldn't be entitled to anything.

Just upload at low res, 800x600.

Maybe you should have read the T&C's first then? It's a free world and if those are the conditions that facebook want to apply then you have the option to agree or not post quite simple really. They certainly are not stealing or robbing anyone.

Yea, that's fine, but I'm going to make sure everyone knows about this.

Not everyone is going to sit down and read a 50 page TOS with a bunch of legal rubish.

watermark them or upload them low res. Theres always a way. Doesnt really bother me though

I can`t understand people using sites like Flickr if they already have websites (therefore webspace) of their own. Isn`t it basically putting your stunning images up for people to `steal`.

so when you upload to flickr the quality stays high but with facebook its low?

Yea, that's fine, but I'm going to make sure everyone knows about this.

Not everyone is going to sit down and read a 50 page TOS that was legally manipulated by a bunch of twisted lawyers.

Most people are not going to read it beacause they don't care what happens with there uploads 99% of the pictures are of people drunk in pubs anyway!

If you think that what your uploading is valuable enough to protect then you should read the T&C's before uploading them to any site, facebooks are no worse than alot of photo competitions.

It's like crashing your car and then claiming you didn't know there was an excess on the policy. Ignorance is no excuse.

so when you upload to flickr the quality stays high but with facebook its low?

From what I noticed yea.

But both Facebook and Flickr also strip the EXIF Meta Data from your pictures as soon as you upload them...

Photobucket doesn't strip the Meta though.

Most people are not going to read it beacause they don't care what happens with there uploads 99% of the pictures are of people drunk in pubs anyway!

If you think that what your uploading is valuable enough to protect then you should read the T&C's before uploading them to any site, facebooks are no worse than alot of photo competitions.

It's like crashing your car and then claiming you didn't know there was an excess on the policy. Ignorance is no excuse.

That's fine and I agree, which is why I'm trying to educate people and let them know exactly how it works.

right right....

That's fine and I agree, which is why I'm trying to educate people and let them know exactly how it works.

Except thats not what your trying to do or it certainly doesn't come accross that way, your thread title is sensationalist garbage (Facebook and Flickr (stealing our work?)) nobody is stealing anything and the rest of you OP is similarly worded. This thread smacks of a pointless rant no an attempt at education.

What's this got to do with Flickr? If they've not got a similar clause in their contract (I don't think they do) then can you change the title please?

Except thats not what your trying to do or it certainly doesn't come accross that way, your thread title is sensationalist garbage (Facebook and Flickr (stealing our work?)) nobody is stealing anything and the rest of you OP is similarly worded. This thread smacks of a pointless rant no an attempt at education.

I guess in todays corrupt legal system it wouldn't be considered 'stealing', but in my mind it is! If they go ahead and use one of the images I posted in one of their promotional ads without asking, then I THINK it's theft! I really don't give 2 ***** about their legal ramblings in the TOS.

At least if people know about this, they'll think twice before uploading an image on Facebook.

:clap:

And of course it's a rant! I stated this in the first post!

I guess in todays corrupt legal system it wouldn't be considered 'stealing', but in my mind it is! If they go ahead and use one of the images I posted in one of their promotional ads without asking, then I THINK it's theft! I really don't give 2 ***** about their legal ramblings in the TOS.

Its their "Terms of Service"

If you don't agree with the TOS, don't use their website ffs. Its quite simple. Its not as if they are forcing you to use their site.

And of course it's a rant! I stated this in the first post!

But it's a pointless based on nothing I hate Facebook rant that for some completely unexplained reason you've dragged flikr into. I've never read there T&C's because I don't care but I'm pretty sure the site wouldn't be full of the high res lovliness it is if they had similat clauses to the facebook one.

I shall now leave you in the bitter and twisted world above your hate filled soap box in the hope that one day you'll take responsibility for your actions and stop blamming the system.

What's this got to do with Flickr? If they've not got a similar clause in their contract (I don't think they do) then can you change the title please?

Flickr is also stripping the EXIF meta data, and have failed to address this issue, even though it's been pending for 6 months. This in turn orphans photos, which makes theft a lot easier (unless you have a watermark).

I wouldn't quite put them in the same category as Facebook, but they're close.

But it's a pointless based on nothing I hate Facebook rant that for some completely unexplained reason you've dragged flikr into. I've never read there T&C's because I don't care but I'm pretty sure the site wouldn't be full of the high res lovliness it is if they had similat clauses to the facebook one.

I shall now leave you in the bitter and twisted world above your hate filled soap box in the hope that one day you'll take responsibility for your actions and stop blamming the system.

I still think the system is corrupt! Corporations are the DEVIL! :cautious:

Flickr is also stripping the EXIF meta data, and have failed to address this issue, even though it's been pending for 6 months. This in turn orphans photos, which makes theft a lot easier (unless you have a watermark).

Again, no-one is forcing you to use their website. So what's the problem? If you don't agree, don't use it.

Err no John. Flickr doesn't strip the exif and it certainly doesn't have the same Ts & Cs as Facebook.

My bad, they must of changed it...

It used to strip it.

I updated the topic.

the T&C are very similar to those used by the BBC for their submissions and competitions. If you dont like em, dont use em. Simple really

Do they acutally store high res versions of images anyway? I always thought it was only low res that they kept...

Sorry for the heated discussion here - most people have been taking this the wrong way though.

I apologize for starting it off as a rant, but my main intent was just to educate people.

Do they acutally store high res versions of images anyway? I always thought it was only low res that they kept...

Yea just low res, or else it'd take a lot longer for the uploads.

Back