Family shoot in harsh sunlight.

The goblin

<span class="poty">POTY Winner 2015</span></br>
Name
Marsha
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I currently live in Cyprus (don't hate me) but the bright sun is a complete pain in the butt! I have tried everything, morning shoots, afternoon shoots, sunset shoots. But the sun is a pig pretty much all day :(

I have tried reflectors, but they're like a wind sail on the beach. I have now settled for metering for the shadows and having everyone backlit, which means completely blown sky.

I've tried fill flash but I can't seem to get it looking right. Any tips on basics here would be greatly appreciated.

I have a family photoshoot tomorrow that's possibly the most important one to date. Mum has been told (yesterday) she has stage 3 cancer, the RAF are flying them home Saturday to commence aggressive treatment. The shoot is at 9am.

Any advice/ tips on fill flash, off camera flash, anything greatly appreciated. I also have Lee filters, ND grad, polarisers, tripod the works!

Is there anywhere to hire portable flash gear?

Failing that, do what you're doing warm it up and make the most of the low sun.

The other tip is finding open shade.

If shade isn't an option then I'd be shooting into a low sun. Spot meter the face and you'll get a nice blown background but exposed for the skin. Drop it down two stops and try your flash subtly. You can drop the flash exposure easily enough on camera.

Reflectors are great but a faff without an assistant especially with a family, fill flash is more convenient. But if poss shade is a good workaround. If you're shooting last couple of hours I wouldn't think you'd need an ND, high speed sync will be enough to add a dash of fill.

Don't over complicate with OCF, it's an extra headache.

ETA: I didn't read your 9am comment first time around..

Last edited:
Find a big leafy tree. Assemble the group inside it's shade with the canopy as the background, shooting 'outwards'.

Is there anywhere to hire portable flash gear?

Failing that, do what you're doing warm it up and make the most of the low sun.

The other tip is finding open shade.
Alas there is not much option to hire any gear. If I knew what was best I would look at buying something. I am meeting them at 9am tomorrow. They have three kids from 2yrs up to 7 that'll probably not sit still! The more I use my studio set up the more I am loving knowing exactly how to deal with my light! Even the golden hour here is bonkers! The light changes soooooo fast it's impossible for WB settings! People look like tangerines, not that lovely golden glow you get in the UK!

Find a big leafy tree. Assemble the group inside it's shade with the canopy as the background, shooting 'outwards'.
There are no trees anywhere along the beach I am going to tomorrow! In fact there aren't many trees on any of the beaches here! There is a beach on the base that has a watch tower along it, that provided good shade for my last beach shoot!

I am going to tackle my Lastolite Tri-grip again tomorrow. But I miss clouds, as we approach melting season I miss the clouds!!!

Sorry I meant to post last night. It went REALLY well! I have decided I need an assistant! The Dads brother came along so held my reflector for me! Boy it makes life easier having someone help. The family let me upload some images on my FB page so I did this collage

https://www.facebook.com/marshacooperphotography/posts/578148525676673:0

Apologies for the FB link I'm on my phone and haven't put anything on Flickr for a while!

I definitely need to figure out some kind of portable flash. But my issue is sync speed, anything with triggers means I get the shutter curtain in. Even with the studio lights at 1/160 on my 5D iii I get the shutter in. I predominantly used my 70-200 for this shoot and a slow shutter would be bad! I have fallen out of love with my 24-70, all the images wide open seem soft and crap. I desperately want to send it off to get an MOT!

What do people do/ use for outdoor flash vs sync speed?

Lovely connection there Marsha with the family. I had a mk1 version of the 24-70 when I shot Canon and was never really that bowled over with it. The 70-200 mk2 was an awesome bit of kit. I can't comment on the portable flash as haven't used any yet, something that's on the list over the next year or so. Budget will probably dictate in the end as a Godox or Lencarter options seem to be the popular cheaper brands but if you want the best then a Profoto B1 would probably be on my short list.

Godox have just released, two days ago, a set up that would probably meet your needs (even though you have done this particular shoot). - use 2x Godox Wistro AD600B

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Godox-Powerful-Outdoor-8700mAh-Battery/dp/B019MR1LCW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51SEFblLKPL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1D10FMZ92FDP29FZNNPH

plus an Eachshot AD-H1200 Bowens Mount head.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EACHSHOT®-AD-H1200-Bowens-AD600B-Wireless/dp/B01B9919BE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_421_7?ie=UTF8&dpID=51tLsFn0DXL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=0CX7DYRAZS28B5E72QJG

It will give 1200w/s and is cheaper than the equivalent Elinchrom.

With it being so new, I have not had time to test it, but have used the Elinchrom 1100w/s system to blow out the sun and it works beautifully. Noticeable how the Elinchrom has also appeared on offer, at around £300 off its previous RRP.

(No doubt Lencarta will introduce their own version in due course).

Last edited:
Anyone know much about the Elinchrom Living Kit? Seems to not be widely distributed in the UK, but looks very similar the the ELB version at half the cost? Import a single head kit for around £630 from the states. There's a multitude of the Quadra nowadays.

The bit I don't like about the Godox is that the weight is in the head. Better in the pack when you consider the outdoor elements.

Lovely images, I'm not experienced with filters but considering the harsh sun, I'd guess you'd need them. Well done for getting all that kit with you on holiday :)

I use a rogue flash bender- gives a nice soft even light- worth a shot at around £30

link- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rogue-Flash...459579977&sr=8-1&keywords=rogue+flash+benders

I was stationed in Cyprus for 3 years with the British Army and United Nations peace keeping force- I know what the sun can be like

Les
Thanks Les, I'm going to look at getting one of those. The sun is HARSH! I took a photo of the Mother in Law at 4pm last month, the shadows were awful, she looked like the Emperor from Star Wars!!!! Needless to say it got deleted!

Lovely connection there Marsha with the family. I had a mk1 version of the 24-70 when I shot Canon and was never really that bowled over with it. The 70-200 mk2 was an awesome bit of kit. I can't comment on the portable flash as haven't used any yet, something that's on the list over the next year or so. Budget will probably dictate in the end as a Godox or Lencarter options seem to be the popular cheaper brands but if you want the best then a Profoto B1 would probably be on my short list.
I absolutely loved the 24-70 when I first got it, now it's a pig from a distance :( The 7-200 ii is a thing of pure beauty!

Godox have just released, two days ago, a set up that would probably meet your needs (even though you have done this particular shoot). - use 2x Godox Wistro AD600B

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Godox-Powerful-Outdoor-8700mAh-Battery/dp/B019MR1LCW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=51SEFblLKPL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1D10FMZ92FDP29FZNNPH

plus an Eachshot AD-H1200 Bowens Mount head.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EACHSHOT®-AD-H1200-Bowens-AD600B-Wireless/dp/B01B9919BE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_421_7?ie=UTF8&dpID=51tLsFn0DXL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=0CX7DYRAZS28B5E72QJG

It will give 1200w/s and is cheaper than the equivalent Elinchrom.

With it being so new, I have not had time to test it, but have used the Elinchrom 1100w/s system to blow out the sun and it works beautifully. Noticeable how the Elinchrom has also appeared on offer, at around £300 off its previous RRP.

(No doubt Lencarta will introduce their own version in due course).

Thank you, I will check these out! We're just awaiting a decision from the RAF as to whether we're staying here for a few more years! If we are then I'm getting some kind of flash system!

Lovely images, I'm not experienced with filters but considering the harsh sun, I'd guess you'd need them. Well done for getting all that kit with you on holiday :)
I tried a polariser but it was a nightmare, I have a slight eye problem and can't really see my LCD outside in the bright sun. I couldn't see how the exposure was so the polariser was ditched! I do use an ND grad for family sunset shots though.

And I live in Cyprus just now :)

Hi, I currently live in Cyprus (don't hate me) but the bright sun is a complete pain in the butt! I have tried everything, morning shoots, afternoon shoots, sunset shoots. But the sun is a pig pretty much all day :(

Wait for it to set?

Wait for it to set?

We can't here it sets too quickly, literally within 10 minutes the light is fairly rubbish! We don't have long summer evenings here, it's dark a lot earlier. It's 8pm here and black as pitch outside, the sun only set at 1937!

I've just had a look at your photos on facebook and you did a very reasonable job. You managed to retain a bit of blue in the sky and the shadows certainly aren't too harsh on the faces.

I've recently bought a Godox AD600 which someone else has already suggested. It sounds like one of these would be perfect for you if you're shooting out in the Cyprus sun regularly. They certainly have the power to give a good fill light in the harshest of conditions and it has full HSS up to 1/8000th that works perfectly with the Canon 5Diii.

From what you've said it looks like you prefer to shoot on the beach where you're not going to get any shade, which is fine but how about trying to educate your clients about the lighting conditions and get them to agree to doing at least part of the shoot in-land a little where there might be some trees to give shade then you can control the lighting a lot more.

Back