Favour to ask

Edit My Images
No
My brother in law has scanned in 2 old photos but the colour is fairly washed out in them I'm hoping some of you photochop geniuses might be able to improve them. (No harm in asking) I'll get the 2 scans off him tomorrow so if anyone fancies a bash let me know.

Cheers in advance

McM

CT is your man for photos, though im sure if you posted them then a few more would have a go!

I think CT does this as a business so may not be so keen to do it for free on here although if you post the pictures many will do their best for you and CT may get involved at his own discression ;)

I'm actually winding the photo restoration work right back with a view to packing it in altogether. I'll no doubt always do stuff for my own customers, but I have been doing all the work for two photographic shops, and I've been spending far more time stuck in front of a computer than is healthy or desirable.

As an aside, what I've learned from the restoration work is that with 100 year old photos regardless of the damage, there's almost always an underlying image worth all the work despite the primitive equipment the pros used in those days. In contrast, a lot of stuff taken in recent years on far better equipment is unsharp, badly exposed etc. and often only of value to the owners for sentimental reasons - some of them really are awful, so there's a lesson there for all of us. ;)

I still have the same enthusiasm for photography I started out with, so it isn't a question of getting me to help, it's more a question of trying to stop me. :LOL: I'm sure we have quite a few members capable of helping with a job like this one though! :)

:D

Just lately I've been getting a lot of requests for hand colouring of B&W photos, and it's quite possible to do this work to a very high standard these days, so much so, that the very skilled people who previously did this work with traditional materials and air brushing, can't really compete anymore, and some of them are very talented artists in their own right.

I suppose that's the price of progress though :(

Ah.... the swingin' 60's :D

This pic is typical of what I was saying earlier in that it was never really sharp to start with, and has now faded considerably. To make matters worse, it's printed on a textured paper, and these never scan well, so you lose more fine detail. The picture is obviously of sentimental value to someone, but the fact is that the underlying image is so poor that the photo will never return the work put into it or what you'd have to charge someone to do even a half decent job on it.

I've done a very quick levels adjust and tidy up, but regardless of how much time you spent on this photo it's never going to look substantially better.

jean3.jpg

Cheers for that.

And yes it is sentimental value to the bro-in-law for some reason.

I'm just off out for the day - I'll have a look at these later when I get home. Should be able to fix them up.

Back