Favourite Bottled Beer/Lager

Bottled beer way before lager, with cider in between, but my Fav is....... the one someone else pays for.

Seriously though, Hobgoblin or some of the Arran ales, or from small local breweries, our local Aldi usually has a good selection of beer at really keen pricing.

View attachment 279389

A YouGov survey in 2019 came up with these results as to what were the favourites in each area.
Based on that I think I should be living in Wales as I hate Tennants [emoji23]
Based on that I shouldn't be here at all... I'm not even sure any of those offered even resemble beer any more. Coloured water with varying degrees of fizz.

But Belgium is closer than the Canaries....

I guess the beer is more widely available than it used to be...

you can but in crates now from the monastery via mail order but you have to buy a whole crate for about £300 euro's to be fair i think it is an OK beer, I paid 21 euros in Gran Canaria to try it.

After many many years, of drinking real ales, craft beers and various Belgian, Czech and German beers, I gave up beer last year.

This thread makes me think fondly of one my favourite beers:

METROPLOLIS BEER.jpg

Even the most mundane beer can be amazing in the right setting. A crispy cold lager on a hot day in the Alps after an amazing motorbike ride for example.

I’m particularly partial to Schiehallion in Scotland, and the Peroni Gran Reserva Dobla Molta is amazing. Also another fave is the Estrelle Voll Damm Doble Malta. Lovely.

1589734314738.jpeg

File:Voll-DammBotella33cl.jpg

Home brew golden ale for me. About 4%abv. Nicely carbonated.
Made about 40 pints, got about 6 left :runaway:

DBB396FE-0085-4A61-B505-CC54E3F5A95C.jpeg

Favourite bottled beer? If I could currently drive up there and buy some, then either Wincle Beer Company's 'Sir Philip' bitter or their 'Wibbly Wallaby' pale ale would be my bottled beer of choice. A little gem of a brewery in North Cheshire.

Failing that, during lockdown, Sainsbury's 'Taste the Difference' Kentish Ale isn't bad stuff at £1.50 a bottle.

As for 'homebrew', which has something of a mixed reputation, and probably quite rightly so given that there's definitely an element of skill involved in creating something palatable! Many years ago, when I had time to brew my own beer, I used a Munton's 'Old English Bitter' kit as a base, and added 1/2 kg of dried golden malt extract to it. I couldn't keep people away from the pressure barrel if I served that at a party! (y)

Last edited:
Im mostly an ale drinker in cold weather, lager in the summer heat.
Timothy Taylor Landlord, fave ale
Erdinger weissbier, fave wheat beer
Zot, fave belgian

Athough ive just discovered a local brewery called Three brothers who do a double dry hop pale ale which is delicious. They have some lovely ales.
https://threebrothersbrewing.co.uk/our-ales/

View attachment 279389

A YouGov survey in 2019 came up with these results as to what were the favourites in each area.
Based on that I think I should be living in Wales as I hate Tennants [emoji23]

What the hell is that based on?? Volume sold? Sales? What they asked a couple of people in each area? Could just be that each of those brands just sell more than any other, but could still well be a very small percentage of all beers drunk, so it's actually quite meaningless. It certainly has no relation to what people actually like!

Besides; only London Pride and Marstons Pedigree are actual beers. The rest are just chemicals added to water...

Back