Favourite Bottled Beer/Lager

Dont drink now but it used to be Newcastle Brown

It's a lager, so can only ever be second best to a good English ale, something like Timothy Taylors Landlord or Adnams Broadside, I could go on but nowhere in my list would a lager appear.

Not even approaching mediocre, for a start its Italian
Something like this is very nice

P1040344 1.jpg
or this
P1040225 1.jpg
and this

P1040432 1.jpg

Last edited:
This isn't too bad either

P1040431 1.jpg
there again
P1040433 1.jpg
Something from the New World maybe
P1040223 1.jpg

Last edited:
Not a beer drinker but I can drink the occasional shandy...

coronabeer.jpg+vintage-retro-corona-lemonade-glass_360_cb3b90165d41fc81cc869a77f49a3cec.jpg.

More likely to be drinking cider.

There are just so many.

These are some of my favourites

Shepherd Neame 1698
Morland Old Speckled Hen
St Austell Proper Job

and if I can add a cider

Aspall Premier Cru

Dave

I like Peroni, as well as Cobra and Lal Toofan, my main drink at home now is Carling. I am not a beer snob so that is likely to be derided by many :)

Camden Hells is my bottled lager of choice, but for special occasions it has to be German Kolsch - the best lager there is (specifically Fruh but Goffell is great too)

Anyone else agree Peroni is the best

This has to be a joke, right? I mean, to each their own and all that, but Peroni is not even close to being the best Italian lager, let alone anything else. Ye Gods.

Personally, I don't have a 'favourite'; pends on what mood I'm in, what I'm eating. My local offie never disappoints, with a great selection from Wychwood, Badger, Fullers, Brakespeare, Eagle, Marstons, ELBC, Five Points and many others. Often a few 'guest ales' in with the regular assortment. I can do lager as well, but it does at least need to be a proper Czech style pilsner or a nice Bavarian brew. Love a Weiss/white/wheat beer now and then too. Used to go mad for that stuff, but it's not great for my insides. Shat myself twice, in near enough the exact same spot in Poplar, on two separate occasions, after drinking wheat beer. Not good.

Really missing the pubs...

Last edited:
All things Belgium for me if it is Beer, don't mind a cold lager on a very hot summer day or on holiday.

Kasteel Donker 11% is my super fave.

All things Belgium for me if it is Beer, don't mind a cold lager on a very hot summer day or on holiday.

Kasteel Donker 11% is my super fave.

I've tried many, I don't like traditional English beer, larger is too gassy, but Belgian beers tend to hit the spot for me, my favourite is St Feullien.
St-Feuillien_Blonde_900.jpg

Skullsplitter, from the Orkney Brewery. 8.5% abv.

2029FD1E-7D01-4DA4-8518-6FD697F798E0.png

I can take or leave the dark Belgian beers, I've had some that feel as thick as syrup. The Duvell dark isn't too bad though....

I bought these on a trip to Amsterdam in 1981, We stopped off on the way back in Bruges so decided to sample the local offerings and a few to take home. I dont know if I dare try them now being nearly 40 years old. CFB0143B-3130-4DAB-BD00-90285723C578.jpeg

I was in Dinant last year and paid a visit to Maison Leffe, had their full range of beers there to try.
Find a lot of the Belgian beers just taste too strong, my favourite was the Royale which uses Whitbread Golding hops.
My all time favourite beer is Altbier which is brewed in Dusseldorf, prefer the draught to bottled.
Stayed at a hotel next door to the Frankenheim brauerei, ate and drank there every day of the holiday.

Last edited:
Honeymooned in California in 2014. Couldn’t get over the deliciousness of all the IPAs available everywhere. So much hoppy citrus flavour even when the beer was served icy cold.

Of course it was usually 8% or more. Too much for me really. We got into Palm Springs late one morning after a drive across the desert and dropped into a bar to rehydrate. Two pints and no lunch later I had to go for a lie down in a darkened room. My bride only had cocktails so she was good to go for a swim and a sunbathe.

Last edited:
I'm a beer pig - always have been (I've got the belly to prove it). :beer:

I've been a CAMRA member since the mid-seventies after I discovered how beer was supposed to taste and ended up in the pub trade for about ten years as a result. I've been in love with 'Real Ale' ever since. My eldest son is the licensee of my local pub now. (y)

Lager is for teenage boys who haven't developed their taste buds yet. :p;)

I've only ever seen the Blonda, which I think is wonderful. I didn't even know there were others, I'll have to see where I can get some..

To be fair I do quite like this one
View attachment 279242
I have seen this at Christmas time only in my fairly local Morrisons - its wonderful !

Kasteel Donker - 11% of dark Belgian goodness :)

You don't need many!

364/365 Kasteel Donker 11 by Dave Green, on Flickr

That looks dark and sweet ? If so then it appeals to me big time.

Wow, there are so many I have never seen or heard of. Cornish supermarkets don't have much by way of the more exotic sadly.....

Anyone know of a beer website that sells a range of the sort of beers being mentioned here so that I could get a mixed box ?

Last edited:
I rarely drink lager unless it’s super hot

I used to drink real ale but it’s just so ‘fusty’ since discovering IPA.

I love with a passion small batch craft IPA’s and am enjoying’Roadkill’ from Mad Squirrel brewery as we speak! A beautifully citrus IPA and at 6.5% strong enough and packed full of my fave hops.

Used to get Golovka from Asda but hard to get now, this makes a good substitute.
FB_IMG_1589662899324.jpg

Anyone know of a beer website that sells a range of the sort of beers being mentioned here so that I could get a mixed box ?

I get most of my different bottled beers at the local Waitrose, they have a very good selection.
All the Peroni Gran Riserva range, five wheat beers, assorted lagers (not Heineken etc in tins) and a good choice of Belgian beers too
Plenty of UK ales and a fairly good mix of the newer citrus type IPA, well worth a look

The only bottled beer I really like ,after this everything else out of a bottle tastes like water, A thick dark malty very strong beer.

100_4498.JPG

I get most of my different bottled beers at the local Waitrose, they have a very good selection.
All the Peroni Gran Riserva range, five wheat beers, assorted lagers (not Heineken etc in tins) and a good choice of Belgian beers too
Plenty of UK ales and a fairly good mix of the newer citrus type IPA, well worth a look
Sadly there is only one Waitrose in Cornwall, it's more like a metro, small, with only the bigger sellers, and it's a 15 mile drive to get to so I rarely go, but maybe I should next time I go near. It's rather off my radar. Our local is an Asda, and even that only has a couple of the more exotic/expensive/nice beers. Lots of Heineken and the 24 cans for a tenner stuff though...

I do prefer an ale to a lager but if I have a lager, I prefer imported. What I'm missing most at the moment though, is Guinness. The bottled stuff is fin for cooking (Mackeson is better) so the only time I drink it i when it's on draft.

Something from the New World maybe
View attachment 279226

Shipyard is my current ale of choice and very cheap as well. Just ordered so me from Ocado at £1.70 for 500ml.

I think the Italians actually produce some really nice ones. Here are another couple that I would highly rate[emoji51][emoji481]

View attachment 279239

Peroni was my lager of choice until we were out and I fancied one but the pub we were in didn't stock it. They suggested I try the Moretti and I have to say, it's nicer than Peroni.

I’m on the page that says Birra Moretti is way better than Peroni, but Moretti like a lot of Heineken beers are best drunk draught.

Bottled beer,I know some have mentioned some German and Bavarian beers, but to me the best come from Augustinerbräu München, their lagerbier hell is wonderful.

Bottled beer from Ayinger and Andechser, Tegernsee and Chiemsee are great too. For a shot and killing your liver go for Schneider Weisse Aventinus Eisbock.

For something different. aecht schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen.

Plenty of decent UK beers, I tend to go for Ale or Porter, if I want something refreshing the only Pilsner I will drink is Wrexham Lager.

Belgian beer is wonderful too. Best is Westvleteren 12, but you have to buy it at the monastery.

You can tell I like my beer. Mostly Augustiners

Back