Favourite lens

Favourite lens...........
I've loved 50mm lenses on crop and full frame. I'm on my 4th in fact. Sony 50mm f1.8 DT and Minolta AF 50mm f1.7 RS on Sony A mount, then Canon 50mm f1.8 Mk2 and Canon 50mm f1.4 USM (my current). I've also used the Canon 50mm f1.2L and loved that too.

I've not got or used a 35mm lens, so perhaps that needs to be the next acquisition. It would help if Canon, Sigma or Tamron would make a sub-£300 35mm lens.

For a zoom, I really love my 24-105mm f4 L. It covers so much, it's so versatile and at the long end the bokeh is great.

Last edited:
Favourite for me means most fun and that means it would either be a Ensinor 28mm f2.8, Helios 44-2, or my Vivitar (Komine) 28mm f/2.8 Close Focus film lenses.

All picked up for next to nothing.

'The Beast'. My Nikkor 28-70 f2.8. Haven't used it for a couple years. Still my favourite. My first Nikon lens. Probably never let it go.

Must get it out...

100mm trioplan

I estimated my iPhone at about 33mm

gsmarena:

iPhone 7 12 MP, f/1.8, 28mm
iPhone 7+ Dual 12 MP, 28mm, f/1.8, OIS & 56mm, f/2.8
iPhone 6s/6s+/SE 12 MP, f/2.2, 29mm

Galaxy S7/S8 12 MP, f/1.7, 26mm

Sony XZ Premium 19 MP, f/2.0, 25mm

Google Pixel 12.3MP, f/2.0, 26mm

One I used to own, the Canon FD85mm f1.2L. Fabulous lens, very very sharp and superb for portraits.

CANON

135 f2 is the best lens relative speaking.. at f2 it's pin sharp at any distance.. one of those lens i dont use much but would never part with

400 f2.8 IS is the workhorse.. gets me lots of work in summer for cricket and get me shots at both ends of the football pitch in summer

70-200 2.8 MKII another workhorse and the reason i hardly use the 135 f2 anytmore.. its pin sharp at 2.8 and used most of the time

24-70 2,8 mkII this goes everywhere with me..

I ahve a couple of other lens i very rarely use but are better to ahve and not need than to need and not have.. ie the 85mm f1.8 and the 35mm f2

At the moment, its got to be the Canon 70-200 4L - though it's pretty heavy to carry around all day.
Itching to get the same version in 2.8L :)

My Canon F4 MkII 400 IS DO Canon 70-300L IS

NIKON 70-300 CX NIKON 32mm CX

Last edited:
It's a shame people aren't putting up example shots taken with their fav lens. So I'll put my mouth where my money is and start.

Basically I'm a prime shooter because a/ zooms make me lazy, and b/ they tend to be too big and heavy for what I do. So I have two favs, a tiny, tiny 35mm f2 Summicron which I've had for about forty years, and a newish 135mm f2 DC.

The 35mm because not only is it a wonderfully versatile focal length, this particular lens gives a distinctive bokeh, it's small (really tiny) and all but unnoticeable. The 135 DC because it's also relatively very compact and delivers crisp images with as much creamy bokeh as you want. Examples below.

Jamie in GrassLR.JPG She is SerenityALR.jpg

Last edited:
It's impossible to pick a fav lens from my collection but the 10mm Voigtlander certainly goes where no other lens can so is a lens I love to use when feeling creative...

Minolta Auto-Rokkor PF 55mm f1.8

I bought it by accident for 30 quid (thought I was buying the later f1.8 version), and it's turned out to be my sharpest prime and has beautiful creamy bokeh.

My first Canon L glass was the 100mm L macro, then my second was the 70-200mm f/4 L IS. The 70-200mm is my favourite out of all my lenses.

Two Cuties by David Ore, on Flickr

The Cat by David Ore, on Flickr

Just one of many from my 2nd favourite lens, the 100mm L IS macro, when it`s not on the 70D it`s on the 1100D.

The Head by David Ore, on Flickr

Last edited:
Changed per system.

When I shot a Sony dslr it was a Minolta 50mm 1.7,
drip in motion by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

for Nikon it was the 85mm 1.8G
Into the fog by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

and for Fuji it's the 35mm 1.4.
Scrappy by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

It's not so much the focal length that helps me love a lens, but the 'feel' of the images it produces, the clarity, sharpness and rendering of colours. Every lens is different that way, even if you PP all your images [as I mostly do] - A specific lens will add a very specific character to a shot.

The "the one I have on camera at any time" type answers are a bit try hard, everyone has a favorite lump of nice glass ;)

Last edited:
Changed per system.

When I shot a Sony dslr it was a Minolta 50mm 1.7, tion by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

for Nikon it was the 85mm 1.8G
Into the fog by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

and for Fuji it's the 35mm 1.4.
crappy by Enticing Imagery, on Flickr

It's not so much the focal length that helps me love a lens, but the 'feel' of the images it produces, the clarity, sharpness and rendering of colours. Every lens is different that way, even if you PP all your images [as I mostly do] - A specific lens will add a very specific character to a shot.

The "the one I have on camera at any time" type answers are a bit try hard, everyone has a favorite lump of nice glass ;)

And with this one, you've captured a very evocative image indeed.

It's a shame people aren't putting up example shots taken with their fav lens. So I'll put my mouth where my money is and start.
Those are great. I presume the first is the 135mm and the second is the 35mm, which has some lovely bokeh. What are you shooting the Sumicron on?

Here's my examples

Canon 50mm f1.4

Shower of confetti by Alistair Beavis, on Flickr

Canon 24-105L

Defiant London by Alistair Beavis, on Flickr

Miranda 24mm f2.8 OM-fit on a Canon 6D (actually a "macro" lens, so can focus at about 20cm)

Little Green Brit by Alistair Beavis, on Flickr

It's like trying to pick a favourite child (easy if you're honest - impossible if you have to think about it).

135 f2L

Or 35mm Art

I only have 1 child and 2 lenses at this point so it's a bit easier for me but the top lenses i have owned in no particular order are the

Canon 135L
Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS MK2
Fuji 56mm 1.2
Olympus 75mm f1.8

All four have been brilliant.

At the moment, its got to be the Canon 70-200 4L - though it's pretty heavy to carry around all day.
Itching to get the same version in 2.8L :)
If you think the f4 is heavy mate don't bother moving to the 2.8 or you'll never take it out the house !!

Those are great. I presume the first is the 135mm and the second is the 35mm, which has some lovely bokeh. What are you shooting the Sumicron on?

Thanks Alistair, you presumed correct;) Some nice shots you showed there. The Summicron has a very distinct bokeh rendering I've not seen any other lens produce. It sits on an M9.

Nikor 35mm F2 for my recently purchased D700. The lens was a bargain buy, small in size and very light (unlike the D700)! Really enjoying using it thus far..

DSC_7961.jpg

Mamiya Sekor 150mm f2.8 A, used on either my nikon and mamiya 645. Sharp right from wide open, virtually no CA and very silky bokeh. Works well as a macro with the extension tubes too.
Peacock by Kyle, on Flickr
KMW_9397 by Kyle, on Flickr
Erica by Kyle, on Flickr

On the RZ67, it'd have to be the 65mm f4 L-A. Sharp, little to no CA or vignetting and remarkably nice bokeh for a wide angle.
CardiffBayRZ-Optima-2015-01 by Kyle, on Flickr
StFagans-Retro80s-07 by Kyle, on Flickr
Leander-ACROS100-02 by Kyle, on Flickr

It's a shame people aren't putting up example shots taken with their fav lens. ]

Why? As mentioned, it's not always about the pictures, at the end of it....

10486032_807042555987330_6011215776450577140_n.jpg

That's one from the Panomar 12mm fish I listed as 'a' favorite. Prone to flare, this shot suffers, comic effect of close up distortion, is a cheap trick; rest of the image is pretty mediocre, at best, shot on cheap OOD print film; BUT, doesn't matter. Its a FUN lens to play with. Fish are a tricky thing to fry; with such a wide angle of view they are demanding to use, to get a decently centered exposure, and avoid hot spots and flare, and use well, let alone creatively beyond the immediate comic nose effects. Incredibly limited control, that one had just three aperture settings and is fixed-focus. BUT still a lot of satisfaction to be gained from playing with it; which is totally unrelated to how wonderful the results I may or more often probably don't get from it may be!

13165964_1199053120119603_1581034345253282460_n.jpg

That, I think was shot with the Ziess 50, also listed as 'a' favorite. It's actually a composite of three individual B&W images, shot in close succession, through Red, then Green then Blue filters to obtain the colour-separations to compile into a single 'Tri-Chrome' montage, a pastiche of a technique of the early pioneers of colour photography.. suffers a couple of developing faults too, where I think I got the rather stiff modern film kinked on the spiral... again, the results here, are almost utterly irrelevant to the lens I used,; IT certainly didn't cause the colour shifts or dev hot-spots!

But so what? I enjoyed using that lens, and the 'feel' of it clunking into place when I screwed it onto the camera; when I set the aperture and that too, very mechanically clicked into engagement, and the focus, stiff and positive, but smooth, all just 'nice' to operate. The results are not particularly inspiring; "Could do Better" the teacher would say on the report card. For sure; but missing the point a little, I was having 'Fun' and got a lot of it; first playing with an old clock-work film camera, that is just a pleasure to use, as well as the lens; more still after when I developed the film in the kitchen sink; and yet more still, when I scanned the negs into the computer and set about montaging them into the composite colour image.

The photo, at the end of it all, is almost irrelevant! It was the whole process to get there that was where the joy was to be found.. not in the results or any technical capability or excellence of any individual piece of hardware might have used.

They are examples of images from my 'favorite' lenses... but does this explain to any-one why they garner affection from me. or add anything to the discussion to help explain WHY those lenses are such favorites?

It's an interesting insight into different approaches and values in photography; examples I have shown were both made significantly with conventional 'film' cameras at point of capture, and I have put more store in the act of using them, than the results I believe I so whole-heatedly fail to get with them, so often, rather than applauding one lens over another, for the effect or excellence I might occasionally achieve with any of them....

Should a lens, or a camera, ONLY be regarded as 'special' if the results the photographer might obtain with it, are in some-way 'special' because of it?

Zeiss Tessars - I have several and my favourite is the 75mm on my 1937 Zeiss Ikon TLR. This also includes Voigtlander's Color-Skopar particularly on my Vitomatic.

"It's a shame people aren't putting up example shots taken with their fav lens. So I'll put my mouth where my money..."

Why the (new) Meyer Optik Goerlitz Trioplan 100mm f2.8 ?

It's not the sharpest, may not have the best 3D pop, has a simplistic 3 element design that is over a hundred years old, and is known for soap bubble bokeh that some dislike. But I like the feel, of using it, of the photos...

Last edited:
Back