Film 52 Index - The runners and riders..

I was planning to get my week 51 this week but its utterly ******** it down here :( might be finishing a week late annoyingly, however I started a few weeks late too ;)

might be finishing a week late annoyingly, however I started a few weeks late too ;)

Excuses excuses! :D :D

Cool to see you will get your challenge completed.(y)....Having to compete with you to try and stay in "the lead" has without doubt helped me to complete my own challenge along with all the support from those who have given feedback.

Week 51 just posted ......taken with my oldest box camera!

Still not managed to get out yet I have half a roll of exposed film waiting for me Manchester though, only issue is that I won't be there until the 7th of January

Still not managed to get out yet I have half a roll of exposed film waiting for me Manchester though, only issue is that I won't be there until the 7th of January

Looks like I'm going to take poll position at finishing then Rob as I got week 52 sorted at the weekend ....pretty much ready to be posted.

You can't help other commitments and weather etc Rob, you still deserve a round of applause simply for completing your challenge....some of your work has been superb....I for one have thoroughly enjoyed viewing and commenting on it!

COMPLETED!! :banana: :woot:

Final week of my 52 posted .....Thanks to you all for your support :ty:

And I'm done...

:banana:

Al-bundy-ed-oneill-animated-gif-2.gif

COMPLETED!! :banana: :woot:

Final week of my 52 posted .....Thanks to you all for your support :ty:

And I'm done...

:banana:

Well done guys, I'm very impressed that you both managed to to finish this challenge.

I have now changed my own challenge to 52cameras in as long as it takes, at my current rate I should be finished by 2016 :LOL:

Threeracers said:
Forgive the newbie question but is there a separate 52 project for filmies?

Mark

No, if you want to do the forum52 no one will stop you, most of the film people did theirs with a little twist such as Asha and Nick doing theirs with 52 different cameras.

If I did it again (which I might do eventually) i will try to follow the themes laid out on the forum and not choose my own

It is a surprisingly time consuming project, it's not just finding time to take the photos it's the processing, the scanning and the posting. And it does seem a bit more daunting the further behind you get.

So bring on 2013, a few more in the 52cameras project and at least one other monthly challenge and definitely more 4x5 this year, I've got the fantastic Nagaoka which I bought from Ed Bray last year and its hardly been used so I just need to be more organised.

I've been wondering about a 52, and looking at the main 52 thread. They're already off on the week 1 topic of "Sin". It all seems particularly difficult if you're using film AND exernal labs; I usually collect at least 2 films together to reduce postal costs, so that's more like once a month than once a week.

I'm not quite sure what I'm saying here, other than I'd like to have a go and it's complicated!

I did look at the 12s from last year; AFAICS only one person got past about month 3!

I've been wondering about a 52, and looking at the main 52 thread. They're already off on the week 1 topic of "Sin". It all seems particularly difficult if you're using film AND exernal labs; I usually collect at least 2 films together to reduce postal costs, so that's more like once a month than once a week.

I'm not quite sure what I'm saying here, other than I'd like to have a go and it's complicated!

I did look at the 12s from last year; AFAICS only one person got past about month 3!

Why not do one a month.....If you can't decide what theme, put it to the rest of us crazy folk in f&c to vote something suitable for you.....if you dare :nuts: :D

:clap: :clap: :clap: Congratulations Rob.

No plans for a 2013 challenge then? :shrug:

Cheers Asha

I don't plan to, i have a lot of work at uni this year, what with finishing my degree in 5 months and still not knowing what i'm doing :nuts:

First two weeks now up! I have some shots for week 3 but I think they need a better scan than ASDA did...

Glad to see you come back with that determination you promised to sally forth with your challenge....well done!

Seeing ChrisR start his 52, I am becoming increasingly tempted to do something again this year even though I did say that I wouldn't.

Last years challenge was a lot of effort especially having to use 52 different cameras for 52 shots so anything this year has to be a little less pressurised.

I have a couple of books that have many images of street scenes in and around Nice from a bygone age which interest me tremendously.

I'm contemplating a challenge whereby I shoot one of the locations each week on film as it is now in 2013, from a similar angle if at all possible, then post alongside a digital ( dare i say that! lol) scan/photo of the old scene from the book.

Do I or don't I ??.....that is the question!

Go for it Asha! Then and now comparisons are great, and are actually highly valued by people elsewhere who are interested in the area.

OK I don't quite know whether or where to post this but here will have to do. I think I'm suffering a bit of film camera burnout. I think I've taken on too much, trying to do a film 52, a film POTY, and to keep up with all the interesting film challenges that this part of the Forum throws up.

I've just got back the second pair of films shot this month mainly for POTY, but also for the film 52. Both challenges are pushing my photography forward, and that's great. But I've a feeling that limiting myself to film is slowing down that learning and frustrating me. Basically, out of about 150 shots I'm not really happy with any of them. Quite a few, especially the shots for February POTY (macro/focus stacking/HDR etc) suffer from technical or gear-related flaws that I would have discovered more or less at the time if taken on a DSLR, but are much harder (pretty much impossible given the timescales) to correct a week or two later.

And that's ignoring the cost. If I'm getting through 4 films or more a month, that's about £500+ a year for film, process and scan.

Added to this, a few weeks back in stormy weather on the coast near Edinburgh I took several film shots (Pentax ME 50mm, Superia) that turned out either so-so or plain dull, and several X10 shots that (for me) truly rocked.

I started back in film because I felt that slowing down and doing stuff manually would help me relearn the bits of photography I used to really know (I didn't have/need a light meter for the first 4 years of photography), rather than just relying on P mode on my X10 (I don't have a DSLR). Plus the community here on this forum (y). But now I'm wondering if the delayed feedback and slow turnround is stopping me benefiting from the various challenges.:thumbsdown:

Maybe one approach is to turn the film 52 into a plain 52, and carry on with the film POTY and other stuff?:help:

Chris, if you want my honest opinion I think you're trying to do too much. Pick one of the challenges and go with that, i found doing a 52 to be quite a help for the POTY this year. I wouldn't dream of doing both at the same time, if I did I wouldn't have any time to shoot for pleasure.
I think you would be best to do a film 52 first so that you can learn the limitations of your gear before trying the POTY, which is undoubtedly more strenuous and less forgiving.

One more thing I would add personally is that you might be shooting too much film, is such a thing possible you say? I think so, I think if you shoot too much you run the risk of lapsing into a way of shooting where you become too complacent. I don't know about you, but I shoot film to keep me on my toes and only shoot it when I have a good idea that the shot is going to come out as I intend it to and would probably struggle to shoot 150 photos a year never mind in 2 months.

Hi Chris,

I would be tempted to agree with Rob about just choosing either the 52 OR the POTY.

My 52 last year was more than hard enough to keep up to....yes it was with 52 different pieces of kit, however I have more free time than some folk to put into these challenges and it still remained quite pressurised and stressful at times.

For me the idea of challenges etc is to enjoy and feel at ease with it hence why, although I was considering doing a "then and now" challenge for this year, I have now chosen to simply shoot what takes my fancy (possibly to include that theme) and post as and when I feel fit.

As for the amount of film....again if you're enjoying then brilliant, if however you are finding yourself shooting in order to get THE shot for whichever challenge then I feel that dissapointment will abound.......If you decide to stay with your 52, the beauty is that the shot you post doesn't have to be "perfect/technically correct" as it is YOUR Challenge for you to learn and improve from.

In addition, although it is one photo per week, it's no big deal should you drop behind several weeks and then catch up.

Bottom line...ENJOY what you choose to do!

Btw I've enjoyed following your film 52 so far(y)

Thanks Rob and Asha, both. You're right, the enjoyment has dropped off a bit. Not actually the enjoyment of shooting; I still love it, and I love the feel and controls of the two Pentaxes. But maybe because I've been focusing so much on the challenges, I'm not finding the results very satisfying.

The POTY is in a way more interesting, although much harder; I like the way the rounds and themes are available already, and I've found that this round has pushed me into areas I've never tried before. Likewise portrait and poster coming up. So I think maybe I'll try to stick with that, but not worry too much about getting "the shot". And perhaps try with the 52 but not necessarily with film. That way I'll have a motivation to take the X10 out a bit more.

The other chalenges on the forum here are really fun, so I'll do them when I can find a decent shot. Which reminds me, have to choose from some emergency service candidates. :shrug:

I've shot quite a lot of film this last couple of weeks, for me any way, and this week I've been trying to get a couple of specific shots with slides. Just got them back and I think I've got them but I was getting my self a little stressed at times so decided to grab the digi so I can be a little more relaxed and *ahem* chimp it. Of course the lights not been behaving now...

Meandering round to my point I think I'm glad I didn't start the 52, I might go back to it but between the filmy challenges and the treasure hunt and trying to get "the shot" I've been after the last week or two I think I'd be burnt out.

Good on you for starting but I think the important thing is not to get too worried about it, if its stressful its no fun and if your not getting paid what's the point in not enjoying it :D.

Back