Film and Conventional, 2022 FFFSFA challenge

dmb

Edit My Images
No

TP Film and Conventional 2022 FFFSFA challenge.​

What is FFFSFA,(FFS)? Fixed Focus, Fixed Speed, Fixed Aperture​

In the past this was a 'Disposable Camera' challenge, however seeing how little chance there is nowadays to effectively recycle or refill all these cameras the FFFSFA challenge was created.

How it works​

The challenge is to post up to three photographs taken by you with a Fixed Focus, Fixed Speed, Fixed Aperture film camera¹ anytime between Santa Claus's visit in 2021 and the closing date in November 2022.

A thread on which to post those photos will be created on the last Sunday of October 2022 (30/10/22) . That will be the entries and voting thread. At the same time, another thread will be created on which to post any other photos you might wish to share, the reject/also ran thread.

The final date for entries is the last Sunday in November 2022 (27/11/22). Voting will take place from the close of entries for one week (to 4/12/22). You will be able vote for your three favourite photos.

The subject matter is open, up to you, do your own thing. Basic processing allowed, but nothing extreme. (I think we all know what is meant by this)

This thread is for discussion, chat and waffle as we move through another year.

If you are thinking of joining in then please let us know in this thread then you will automatically get updated if anything changes.

Footnotes:

¹ Any film camera that does not allow you to change, or itself change automatically, focus, shutter speed or aperture is acceptable. We are sure we can trust that if you have a camera that is almost suitable to put some tape over any controls that would break the rules. If you are not sure if a particular camera fits the rules then ask in this thread. There are some commercially refilled/recycled film cameras nominally 'disposable, single use' those are acceptable or any disposable ones you still have unused.

Last edited:
During this year (2021), I have collected several simple, fixed everything "reusable" cameras.
I noticed that they tend to have focal lengths of around 28-30mm and two are thicker cameras that are 35mm focal length.
During this year, I will try all of them.
Are we limited to entries from one roll from one camera?

Last edited:
@Cluster your best three frames of the year. As many cameras and rolls as you like, just let us know which camera and film for the ones you enter. There will also be the 'also ran' thread for those that don't quite make the grade.

IMG_20211207_151649~2.jpg

Already looking at what camera/s and film/s I may well use next year for this.

The two disposables were charity shop buys. The Superia X-TRA (800 ISO) Quicksnap expired in 2003 while the Waterproof Quicksnap (also 800 ISO) only expired in March this year.

The pink camera was my daughter's first camera we gave her in 1999 when she was 7 . Only developed the film in 2019 ! Below is her shot of us when we went to my nephew's wedding in Germany. Only controls are shutter button and flash on and off. Will probably load that with Kodak ColorPlus 200

Clipboard01.jpg

Last but not least is the La Sardina, Lomography camera. Now will have to keep focus on the Distant focus setting and not select Close-up and leave the shutter in the default position not Bulb or Multi Exposure (well at least for any shots I enter in the challenge, will make a note of those). It has a 22mm F/8 lens and fixed speed of 1/100th. Have pulled out my Sunny 16 slide rule from wallet and I'm thinking Ilford Ortho 80 which would be spot on for a Bright cloudy day (no shadows) only 2 stops over on a sunny day and 2 stops under in Open shade or for sunsets.

Anyone else planning ahead ?

Last edited:
A trip into nearby town and a delve in a charity shop added this as a potential contributor. Everything fixed. so FFFSFA compliant.

IMG_20211209_202026.jpg

Luckily I 3D printed a 110 spool last year so can dev it c41.

I’m going to do my best to get something entered for this, I’ll check the Agfa Clack and see if it complies.

My efforts will be on my Kodak Instamatic 77x. I'm guessing respooling 135 to 126 is ok?

I would have liked to have used the Sprocket Rocket or my Brownie 44a, but they both have "variable" aperture (as in a disc slides over the fixed aperture when you push a lever)...

Reactions: dmb
My efforts will be on my Kodak Instamatic 77x. I'm guessing respooling 135 to 126 is ok?

I would have liked to have used the Sprocket Rocket or my Brownie 44a, but they both have "variable" aperture (as in a disc slides over the fixed aperture when you push a lever)...
I've never tried getting 135 into a 126 cartridge as I always ended up destroying them while opening, but if you can no problem. As to the others, if you choose and stick to one aperture for the challenge shots that is fine. I have an Agfa Rapid that has a choice of three apertures and a flash speed as well as the normal one. If I leave it set to the default speed and f/11 I would count that as FFFSFA compliant.

I've never tried getting 135 into a 126 cartridge as I always ended up destroying them while opening
AW used to do a 3D printed insert (can't remember the brand name) which I picked up. It's pretty good although I still use an original one I managed to separate as it's a better fit.

For December 2020 I got the build a camera advent calendar which when finished looked like this:

B16B9207-617F-4A8E-8CBB-5C66CFE297A9.jpeg

I'm not convinced however that I managed to correctly fit all the parts and it makes an unhealthy rattling sound when moved. But luck is at hand as that same Xmas for a gift I was given the same item in a different form which I have yet to build. I'm sure between the two of them I have an intact camera that I can add a film to and take part.

DF8C11BC-1E4B-4BE2-8D58-DB9733D97ECB.jpeg

@StuartPearson That reminded me that my kids gave me one of those build your own TLR kits seven years ago. Just found it, still in box, on bookshelf. So the only thing you need to do to make it FFFSFA compliant would be to choose your focus distance and tape up the focus cogs. May get mine built. With two if them side by side you could even do stereo pictures. :snaphappy::snaphappy:

Last edited:
@StuartPearson make it FFFSFA compliant would be to choose your focus distance and tape up the focus cogs. . :snaphappy::snaphappy:
Its built and fortunately for FFFSFA the cogs have required a lot of strength to move once they were fitted, so wherever they are they are staying! At least this one is not making a rattling sound and the shutter mechanism is working, time will tell if it works with a film

End of first month of challenge. One test roll through the Agfa Iso Rapid 1F (sticking to default speed and aperture). Was fun loading (by pushing) a 20 inch length of FP4+ film into one of my Rapid cassettes. The camera then pushes the film across the gate into another identical cassette. Get 16 inch square shots, that is the limit. Stand dev'd for an hour in my home brew Parodinal at 1:100 so as to even out exposures. There are pictures.

There are pictures.
That's always a bonus :)

Luckily enough my son asked me to process a disposable camera for him on which he had only shot half of the 39 frames so I've already got something in the can for this challenge.

I do like the White Lion, a cracking, unspoilt pub.

I have a Brownie (Oo er' missus!) Cresta 2. It has Brown tape holding the thing in one piece.
Aperture is "Around a bit of an inch" and shutter speed is "Stop rushing me!".
I'll probably have a go with that.

My collection of reusable cameras continues to change... A nice condition Ilford Sporti 4 arrived recently. Described as "tested", it has a jammed shutter. These shutters probably just need a clean to get them to work again. The Sporti4 has a choice of two apertures, but will be locked into one for each roll of 35mm that I manage to run through it in place of the original 127 format.
One issue with cameras of this type is their very slow shutter speed. Many are around 1/30th, so a steady hand is needed.
An even older Coronet Commander 2 is on its way to me, a 99p (+post) bargain? This has two shutter speeds of 1/30 and 1/100 which will make it a much more usable camera, if it can be made to work.

I have an Old Kodak Brownie 120. It's the Cresta model. Only variable settings are that I can slide a lever for a "Close up", or another lever for a "Yellow Filter".
Iff'n I promise not to use either is this okay? I can't do processing so no variations available there.

I have an Old Kodak Brownie 120. It's the Cresta model. Only variable settings are that I can slide a lever for a "Close up", or another lever for a "Yellow Filter".
Iff'n I promise not to use either is this okay? I can't do processing so no variations available there.
That meets the constraints, so go for it.

I had the Vivitar version of this some time ago, smashing little camera. I had good results with Tri-X, Fujicolor 400 and even SFX. I sold it to fund another purchase but actually regret having got rid of it.

A 60's Coronet Commander 2 arrived a couple of days ago. Despite being a "Crap Camera" of its time, it has a doublet lens, two shutter speeds (I can't see a difference) and two aperture masks. It's wonderfully plastic and might suit the challenge if I lock the adjustments.
It's an interesting format, using 120 roll film to give 24x36mm frames in portrait orientation. Looking at some example images from this type of camera, it gives generous frame spacing.
I can't bring myself to run 120 film through it, so I pressed the 3D printer into service to produce some spacers to use 35mm film in place of the 120 roll and a 35mm film gate that fits into the original (now enlarged) gate to give a neg size of 30mm x 40mm. The exposed frame will extend a little into the sprocket holes.
I'm hoping to shoot a few frames with it during the next week.

Last edited:
Following on from my conversion of the 120 (24x36mm) format Coronet Commander 2 (nice IQ, but a bit of a guess with the winding), I had a go at another conversion.
The Ilford Sporti4 is a lovely plastic simple lens/shutter 127 camera. I'd guess that the shutter speed is near to 60th and it has a feature to change the aperture (which i will leave locked into the small aperture for our comp). Six test frames run off this morning... looking forward to seeing the results.

Sporti.jpgSportiB.jpg

EDIT: Test film came out as a small disappointment. Images soft all over but no falling off of focus or clear lens issues at the outer edges/corners. The film transport will need work too, as this film gets wound up on a spool, then suddenly pulls more off out of the cassette. It's on the shelf for a while...

Last edited:
Reactions: dmb
@Cluster make sure you seal that red window
:mad:. When I did something similar before I sealed the window I marked up some ruined film with a Sharpie every 4 and a bit cm to work out how far to wind on each time by looking through the window

@Cluster make sure you seal that red window
:mad:. When I did something similar before I sealed the window I marked up some ruined film with a Sharpie every 4 and a bit cm to work out how far to wind on each time by looking through the window
That's a good idea!

I'm off on Saturday to the Rhins of Galloway for a week. I've loaded my Agfa Clack with some Fomapan 200 the challenge. Promise I will take everything using the instantaneous shutter setting.

I'm off on Saturday to the Rhins of Galloway for a week. I've loaded my Agfa Clack with some Fomapan 200 the challenge. Promise I will take everything using the instantaneous shutter setting.
Sounds like a location for some winning shots.

I am taking my grandchildren to a rare breeds centre on Monday and my Revue 400 focus free is going with me.

Last edited:
Another vintage camera arrived recently. I buy these to play with as potential suitable cameras for the challenge. Maybe it's strange to buy so many cameras for a challenge that only requires three images a year.... but it's quite a lot of fun. Maybe a new personal thread to show my results will help to justify them.
The latest arrived recently... a Coronet 4-4 mk ii. A small plastic camera, rather similar to the Ilford Sporti 4, but with no speed or aperture adjustments.
Unlike the fit of a 35mm cassette in the Sporti4, on this camera they are too fat to fit in place of the 127 film spool, so modification will be a little more involved, or I can just load a length of film in the dark after i have made a suitable film gate. The shutter seems to be quite fast for this type of camera, 1/60th or so....

Coronet44.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like I'll have to load up another FFFSFA camera as the Fuji disposable (expired 2003) shots are not very good, must have spent years in a car glove box. Will put up entry thread at end of October but you will have until 27 November to do a final sprint. :runaway:

Last edited:
Question... posting etiquette.
A couple of my photos from earlier this year were posted in general categories here, such as "show us your film images" (non-competitive).
I had intended to also post them in the FFFSFA thread..... is this OK?

Last edited:
Question... posting etiquette.
A couple of my photos from earlier this year were posted in general categories here, such as "show us your film images" (non-competitive).
I had intended to also post them in the FFFSFA thread..... is this OK?
Quite alright. I may be doing so as well ;)

Please bump this thread if I haven't got something entered this week, I'm likely to forget

I've just posted a disposable off to Analogue Wonderland, hoping for a few passable ones off it.

Back