Film and Conventional Section Locals (Cheshire area) Christmas Meet up?

Can't do that Saturday but watching the thread in case the weather's bad/date gets shifted.

Sorry folks I'm working on Saturday and The CMS is also unavailable.

Can't do that Saturday but watching the thread in case the weather's bad/date gets shifted.
Sorry you can't make it, as you say, keep watching in case the date changes, or you manage to escape and join us.
I shall still be under my duvet at that hour!
You could always join us for the pub lunch if you like, which won't be until at least noon, if you can struggle free from your duvet by then? :)
Sorry folks I'm working on Saturday and The CMS is also unavailable.
That's just bad planning ;), can't you swap your shift/s with someone? :)
This place seems to get consistently good reviews

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...-Cafe_De_Paris-Nantwich_Cheshire_England.html

At least if it’s cold you can wait in the warm.

That was one of the ones I looked at but I'm not really a fan of continental style breakfasts in winter, much prefer something that contains bacon (and preferably sausage, egg, mushrooms and hot buttered toast, but can survive with just the bacon part if necessary! :D). A look at their menu suggests a bacon and egg brioche for about £4.50, add a coffee to that and it's probably over £6 gone before we've started. Also that restaurant isn't in the town square, so probably not as easy to find for people who don't know the town very well?

If it's a mild day we could always just grab a bacon bap from the local bakers for around £2 and munch it in the street. Apparently (never tried it) the bakery (Chatwin's in the Town Square) has a café above the shop, so there's the option to meet there if it's going to be cold and people would prefer that? I was just trying to keep it affordable for people with it getting near Christmas, and bearing in mind we'll be having a pub lunch too. More than happy to go with the flow though, so what would everyone prefer to do? :)

Last edited:
Ooops, duplicated post. Can't cope with multiple quotes! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Chatwins sounds good - should we make that a definite then we can collectively decide on lunch when there?

As over indulgence can lead to bulgence I thought I may as well save Mr Badger from temptation as I was in Nantwich this morning ...

Tell you what, I'll nip into town on Tuesday and make sure it's still open, etc. then confirm, unless anyone has a better suggestion in the meantime. (y)

The coffee lounge above Chatwin's on the main square is indeed still up and running. Not to be confused with the smaller Chatwin's on Pepper Street about 50 yards away which has a few small tables on the ground floor.

As over indulgence can lead to bulgence I thought I may as well save Mr Badger from temptation as I was in Nantwich this morning ...

The coffee lounge above Chatwin's on the main square is indeed still up and running. Not to be confused with the smaller Chatwin's on Pepper Street about 50 yards away which has a few small tables on the ground floor.
Well, that's my plans for a steak pie for lunch on Tuesday gone! Thanks for the info and doing the recce, the café above Chatwin's in the Town Square at 9.30am on Sat 8th it is then. (y)

Well, that's my plans for a steak pie for lunch on Tuesday gone! Thanks for the info and doing the recce, the café above Chatwin's in the Town Square at 9.30am on Sat 8th it is then. (y)

Never let it be said I'd stand between a man and his steak pie, unless it was the last one in the shop. Mind you the festive pork and cranberry slices tempted me today.

Met Office Current Guestimate for Saturday in Nantwich - Thats OK, looks like adjourn to the pub before 3pm.

View attachment 139843
I've been watching the weather forecast too and it looks like fine-ish in the morning and showers coming in from lunchtime onwards (which isn't bad for this time of year), so should fit in OK with our plans. Anyway, I've done my best to encourage bright and sunny weather; I've loaded up a Yashica 635 with Portra 800! :D

So who's turning up then? And can we persuade @srichards to join us in time for the pub lunch if she doesn't fancy the 9.30am start? :)

I had hoped to come but car in to garage @9 and on call @17.00. another time perhaps. enjoy the day and look forward to seeing the pics

I had hoped to come but car in to garage @9 and on call @17.00. another time perhaps. enjoy the day and look forward to seeing the pics
Sorry you can't make it, hope to see you at one of the 'locals' meets in the new year. All the best for Christmas. (y)

Could do if the weather is OK, wouldn't fancy it if it's tippling down though! (y) So what are you bringing camera-wise tomorrow, or is it a surprise? :)
Thinking ahead - perhaps the Lomo FishEye towards January and Feb. Have film in an ME Super I'm testing (1 of 2 aquired at car boot) and think the EOS 3 deserves an outing (batteries permitting).

and think the EOS 3 deserves an outing (batteries permitting).
Don't worry, I'll put a spare 2CR5 in my camera bag now just in case you need it; from experience they tend to die without warning rather than when you press the test button! If you need it, you can replace it next time we meet up. (y)

Is there any cheap or free parking anywhere?
There's free (at least I think it is, but do check this before leaving your car there!) parking off St Anne's Lane, which is off Welsh Row, but it appears to be an unofficial bomb-site type car park. Last time I parked there it was like the surface of the moon, plus people park all over the place so you could find yourself blocked in, if you don't ground your car out driving round it or find you're parked in a 10 inch deep puddle if it rains!

Other than that, I think it's all pay and display. Snow Hill car park (near the swimming baths) is long stay, up to 10 hours for £2.90, so I'll probably park there as it's probably more secure and it's not too far to the town square from there. https://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/car..._in_nantwich/map_of_nantwich_town_centre.aspx

Last edited:
I've decided it's too far for me tomorrow. I was playing with the idea of coming if SWMBO went away for the weekend as she was hinting. But now either she isn't or she wants me to drive her. Have good day, folks!

I've decided it's too far for me tomorrow. I was playing with the idea of coming if SWMBO went away for the weekend as she was hinting. But now either she isn't or she wants me to drive her. Have good day, folks!
Sorry you can't make it Chris, it would have been a nice surprise, but fully understand that it's a bit of a trek for you. Hope to see you at one of the meets next year. (y)

I would have been there too but for those darned protesters in high vis jackets stopped me gettin' to the airport:rolleyes::D

Back