Film Camera Reviews Discussion thread

A very nice review of the Leica M3 from Essexash with some very nice images as well.

Andy

Great review by Steve on the Mamiya,very interesting indeed.

Top stuff Steve, works well as a review and a comparison.

Excellent review there Ash. I'm going to review a couple more cameras over the next week or two as I think this is a valuable resource given the amount of cameras out there. The fact that its someone you know reviewing it just gives it a bit more credence.

Thanks :) should of replied earlier! But yeah this is a great thread, it might not end up with hundreds of reviews of the plethora of 35mm's out there but if anyone has an "exotic" camera which could prove useful to someone then slap a review in here :)

More lovely reviews on the Massive thread, thanks @stevelmx5 and @essexash for their last ones in particular... I did notice a couple of non-review posts there, I thought, ahem, we were supposed to only have reviews there and discuss here?

More lovely reviews on the Massive thread, thanks @stevelmx5 and @essexash for their last ones in particular... I did notice a couple of non-review posts there, I thought, ahem, we were supposed to only have reviews there and discuss here?

They're in here now ;)

Sorry Miss... :D

Last edited:
Well Chris does have beautiful plumage. ;)

I've added a review for GP3; since questions about it come up quite regularly I thought it might be useful. I'm not sure I'd bother reviewing all films but it does tend to come up in conversation more often, probably because its cheap.

Excellent Steve, very useful addition to the thread. I've not used GP3 but I shall definitely be getting some after seeing your review.
I've been meaning to do a couple of reviews myself, the Rolleiflex and the Nikon FM, I shall get around to it next week.

I knew there was a discussion thread for the Massive somewhere, reckon it ought to be linked from the new "resource" thread, myself!

Having reviewed the Clearfile negative folder, and spotted a problem with some commercial labs not using 4-ring neg sheets, and likewise a problem with filing CDs, I wondered what others do? (Today I ordered 100 CD paper envelopes from the evil bay for nearly £3, then popped into £land in Cov to see 70 of the same for... you guessed it!)

H'mm keep the CD separate from the negs? You'll need a VG filing system or computer database if you have thousands :eek: For me I keep negs and CD with index thumbnails in a folder but copy the folder (which is numbered the same as the CD) to my computer with JPG's.......mind you the row of folders adds up over time and you would have to find room for them.....but it's the same system in the library where you look on the computer for basic info and it tell you where to find the book.

CD's are copied to the network and binned. The less stuff I have lying around the better.

CD's are copied to the network and binned. The less stuff I have lying around the better.

Yes I was wondering about that. I guess I'm only keeping the CDs as an extra backup in case of hard drive failure/theft/fire/backup failure etc. And the negs are the ultimate backup (except for fire, of course).

@AshleyC, nice review of that scanner. On stickies... think @TheBigYin decided there were too many stickies, and consolidated them all into the Resources sticky, where the review thread is linked from (but not this discussion thread... it would be nice if there was a link to it in the first post of the review resource, Mark?).

I did use an older scanner of that general type, and it was pants, maybe I should review that...

@AshleyC, nice review of that scanner. On stickies... think @TheBigYin decided there were too many stickies, and consolidated them all into the Resources sticky, where the review thread is linked from (but not this discussion thread... it would be nice if there was a link to it in the first post of the review resource, Mark?).

I did use an older scanner of that general type, and it was pants, maybe I should review that...

I've actually added the "review discussion thread" link directly into the "resources sticky" rather than just "daisy-chaining it" from the Reviews - I'm now going to add the link into the first post of the reviews as well, so there's no excuse not to find it ;)

ETA: Cancel that, there's already a "green note" pointing to the Discussion thread in the initial post of the reviews thread...

screenshot-www.talkphotography.co.uk 2015-12-03 08-51-07.png

Last edited:
Sorry, missed that Mark. As usual, you're waaaay ahead of us! :) Thanks

Very nice review of the Mamiya 6 there... it's one of my "dream" cameras should I ever decide to indulge myself. 6*6, don't have to focus backwards, and not like lifting the battleship galactica to your eye. I guess the metering helps avoid the perennial problem of leaving the lens cap on?

Presumably the 75mm lens is shorter than the 50mm as the latter has to be a retrofocus design?

I guess the Mamiya 7 is nicer, and it certainly has wider lenses, but it is MUCH more expensive... and the 6 is expensive enough!

Last edited:
thanks :) I cant really see how the 7 offers that much more over the 6 other than the slightly wider wide lens. The fact that the 6 folds up a little bit makes it more practical to me over the 7. They are both over priced even though they are fantastic cameras, the only thing on the side of splurging out that sort of money is that there really isnt anywhere to upgrade to once you own them so they money is well invested, other than that shiney new hassleblad mirrorless thats just come out :) As long as you dont knock nails in with them then the price will hold if you ever felt like selling up, but as said, sell up for what! there is nowhere to go unless someone builds a 5x4 in this sort of body :D paging Stevelm!

Last edited:
thanks :) I cant really see how the 7 offers that much more over the 6 other than the slightly wider wide lens. The fact that the 6 folds up a little bit makes it more practical to me over the 7. They are both over priced even though they are fantastic cameras, the only thing on the side of splurging out that sort of money is that there really isnt anywhere to upgrade to once you own them so they money is well invested, other than that shiney new hassleblad mirrorless thats just come out :) As long as you dont knock nails in with them then the price will hold if you ever felt like selling up, but as said, sell up for what! there is nowhere to go unless someone builds a 5x4 in this sort of body :D paging Stevelm!

H'mm film LF will have competition on it's hands with that new Hassle..of course if you have the dosh.

Last edited:
OK I have updated all my posts in the Massive F&C Review thread, that were affected by the Photobucket debacle. I did this the simplest way, by uploading the images to TP within the post. All looks fine to me except the Leica CL review, where the 6th image would not upload due to TP restrictions. I've left the last image on PB for now; the reader can click through to see it if they think it important.

I went through a huge clear out of my Flickr images a few weeks back removing thousands of them from there. Looks like I wiped out the mamiya ones. I will try and get them back on again.

It would be nice if the review thread was a sticky in here as I think it would be seen a bit more.

I went through a huge clear out of my Flickr images a few weeks back removing thousands of them from there. Looks like I wiped out the mamiya ones. I will try and get them back on again.

It would be nice if the review thread was a sticky in here as I think it would be seen a bit more.

I agree. I've got a couple of reviews in mind and I'll try and do them over the next few days.

The review thread is referenced from the Resources sticky that was introduced by @TheBigYin as we had far too many stickies!

I agree. I've got a couple of reviews in mind and I'll try and do them over the next few days.

Andy, what about reviewing that bonkers camera you accidentally bought in Cornwall?

And I think @Kevin Allan or @RaglanSurf or, well, anyone, should definitely review the Intrepid 45. And @Woodsy ought to be able to explain to us why his Ebpny is worth a small mortgage!

Andy, what about reviewing that bonkers camera you accidentally bought in Cornwall?

I never actually used it Chris, far to mahossive and complicated for my tiny brain.

I never actually used it Chris, far to mahossive and complicated for my tiny brain.

But, but, but...

You could at least write something saying why this was so??? EDIT: I mean it is the most interesting camera to come by us for ages! I saw you put the pic up as a teaser for someone recently...

Back