Film Developing in the UK

We posted some films to them on Friday. Looks like they may be delayed.

Last edited:
huh..

I can't find E6 processing on the Filmdev site....?

That's because they don't do E6... I usually send mine to Peak and then scan them myself.

That's because they don't do E6... I usually send mine to Peak and then scan them myself.

don't...do.....E6.....???

computing......

nah, not enough RAM, I'm just gonna have to accept that the World is conspiring to thwart my hobbiest interests...:(

Tweet today from @Filmdev: "Just to let all our customers know we will be closed Monday 18th September to Thursday 21st September for Servicing and Maintenance."

OK, looks like they'll be back in time for the end of the month bridges rush!

Oh how I miss Asda :( had a couple of films to be done on August 31st (but Asda has stopped film dev) but delayed as I thought I might as well wait for the 3rd film to finish (which was last Thurs) before sending them all to filmdev..h'mm now it looks like I wont get the jpg's till this friday or sat. :( So seeing my results in a few hours in the past would take 22 days....a thousand curses for Photo-me (Asda) for not supporting film.

https://cameraventures.com/help

now it looks like I wont get the jpg's till this friday or sat.

I would expect it to be early/mid next week to be honest. If they have four days off then you can probably expect there to be a bit of a backlog to work through, and as good as Filmdev are, I don't think they'll get through it all in a day.

Should still be enough time to get your photos done for this month's FPOTY though I reckon (y)

Oh how I miss Asda :( had a couple of films to be done on August 31st (but Asda has stopped film dev) but delayed as I thought I might as well wait for the 3rd film to finish (which was last Thurs) before sending them all to filmdev..h'mm now it looks like I wont get the jpg's till this friday or sat. :( So seeing my results in a few hours in the past would take 22 days....a thousand curses for Photo-me (Asda) for not supporting film.

https://cameraventures.com/help
On the bright side, FilmDev will give you better results than Asda. I'd say that's worth the wait.

On the bright side, FilmDev will give you better results than Asda. I'd say that's worth the wait.

Well filmdev probably use the same Fuji dev m\c as Asda so the only difference could be scanning, but one fault with filmdev is the £5 min charge so it's more expensive for one film which encourages waiting for a 2nd film to be used up so more waiting :(, but I could get one film done in hours at Asda (y)

Well filmdev probably use the same Fuji dev m\c as Asda so the only difference could be scanning, but one fault with filmdev is the £5 min charge so it's more expensive for one film which encourages waiting for a 2nd film to be used up so more waiting :(, but I could get one film done in hours at Asda (y)
I'm sure that other more knowledgeable forumites may correct me but as I understand it the development might be better from FilmDev because they are processing more film and the chemicals will be replaced more frequently as a result of that.

The scans should definitely be better. I began with high street processing and noticed a big difference when I switched to FilmDev.

Another benefit that Filmdev have is you get the negs back nice and clean, flat and neatly arranged. Plus they will also accommodate push processing, something that none of the highstreet shops around here have a clue about.

Saying all this, it is a shame that Asda have stopped deving - the £3 dev&scan in an hour is a very attractive option. Who knows, maybe in time if film continues it's resurgence we might see them bringing it back.

I found the scanning terrible from the two high street shops I tried - Jessops one hour service, and Kodak 'Express' (they where sent away and took nearly a week).
Scans where frequently misaligned so part of the frame from an adjacent negative was popping into the scan on both services.

Another benefit that Filmdev have is you get the negs back nice and clean, flat and neatly arranged. Plus they will also accommodate push processing, something that none of the highstreet shops around here have a clue about.

Saying all this, it is a shame that Asda have stopped deving - the £3 dev&scan in an hour is a very attractive option. Who knows, maybe in time if film continues it's resurgence we might see them bringing it back.

Well I can\have to...get by but feel sorry for ordinary Joe public filmies who are not in the know and will probably get ripped off by other high st firms (no names ;)) as I did ask at Asda how is the film situation and the girl replied "we get a quite a few wedding photos to do", well I can only assume it's those throw away cameras.
So Asda lose a few shoppers which doesn't help in the supermarket war ATM, but I doubt they will worry about the £300 I spent there on food, over a year, while getting the film done.

Well I can\have to...get by but feel sorry for ordinary Joe public filmies who are not in the know and will probably get ripped off by other high st firms (no names ;)) as I did ask at Asda how is the film situation and the girl replied "we get a quite a few wedding photos to do", well I can only assume it's those throw away cameras.
So Asda lose a few shoppers which doesn't help in the supermarket war ATM, but I doubt they will worry about the £300 I spent there on food, over a year, while getting the film done.

Ah so THAT's why they issued a profits warning!!! :D:D:D

I'm sure that other more knowledgeable forumites may correct me but as I understand it the development might be better from FilmDev because they are processing more film and the chemicals will be replaced more frequently as a result of that.

The scans should definitely be better. I began with high street processing and noticed a big difference when I switched to FilmDev.

Well your film that was developed could be the last before changing ;) But the Asda girl said the chemicals were changed first thing in the morning then there was a wait for the m\c to heat up, as I went there early one morning and had to wait....anyway all history now and was also pleased with in house Tesco for years before switching to Asda when Tesco stopped.

Do filmdev notify you that they have received your film?

No, you just get an invoice and then the download.

We had the films I sent on Friday back yesterday so it looks like they are back up and running again.

I don't think so, first thing I heard was when the invoice came, followed shortly after with the scans. One small benefit with the RM small packet is you now get delivery confirmation, so I knew it had made it.

In any case, I'm sure if you haven't heard from them for a bit it's purely due to the maintenance downtime.

No, you just get an invoice and then the download.

We had the films I sent on Friday back yesterday so it looks like they are back up and running again.

Erm I posted mon 2nd class ....so it looks like they don't shove all posts in one pile during maintenance, but have sorted out the earliest posting are done first.

Erm I posted mon 2nd class ....so it looks like they don't shove all posts in one pile during maintenance, but have sorted out the earliest posting are done first.

Sent mine first class Monday, so we'll see if mine get done before yours ;)

When sending to filmdev, do any of you specify no sharpening ? I haven't up until now, and considering specifying no sharpening to keep grain intact (which I like)

I always put minimal sharpening and tiff files.

Haven't sent mine off, might try and do it this evening! My FPOTY photo is on there (unless I screwed it up, which is possible!), but I should have loads of time to get it back before the end of the month.

Haven't sent mine off, might try and do it this evening! My FPOTY photo is on there (unless I screwed it up, which is possible!), but I should have loads of time to get it back before the end of the month.

There are only 30 days in September. Just thought I'd mention it ;)

When sending to filmdev, do any of you specify no sharpening ? I haven't up until now, and considering specifying no sharpening to keep grain intact (which I like)

Ah 1st class mail is a fiddle to get more money out of you o_O As I've downloaded my scans at midday not bad for 2nd class and posted Monday.

I did find a few rather over-sharpened, so now specify:

"No sharpening, please.
Please provide JPEGs only and split into folders, one per film.
Please provide negatives in strips of 6 and provide a softer envelope for returned negs and CD, thanks."

You may remember I did a thread trying to work out if TIFFs were worth while (at that time I was getting TIFFs and JPEGs). There was no extra monetary cost, but there was a very significant cost in download times, and I could see no discernible difference in the resulting files even after significant post processing. Those were 8-bit TIFFs from the Fuji though; I understand the Noritsu Koki can produce 16-bit TIFFs. Carl, are yu getting 8-bit or 16-bit TIFFs?

Also BTW I understand we won't be getting CDs any more. Not a problem for me as they pile up unopened!

Well after looking at the scans from filmdev (three 35mm films) they are no better or worse than old Asda ( a good one). In fact there were tramline scratches on some of the negs..I'm not going to complain as they were just some test shots and of no importance, also Asda gave a scan of 1840 X 1224 and filmdev are 1545 X 1024 for cheapest :(. I can't see why the scanning m\c is set so low as surely the difference in scanning from 1840 X 1024 compared to 1545 X 1024 is secs (not minutes).....h'mmm

Last edited:
Well Brian, we had our 6 films back and they are pretty much perfect, far better than any I have had from Asda and much better than I can do myself.

Well Brian, we had our 6 films back and they are pretty much perfect, far better than any I have had from Asda and much better than I can do myself.

Andy were they the cheapest scans? The way I look at it, filmdev can't afford to spend too much time on each neg frame for £3 plus cheapest scan BUT the same girls at Asda were there for years and knew me and looked very bored at times and were pleased to do my films and because they were just employees could spend more time on each neg frame (as they were not over loaded with work).....anyway I'll get over missing Asda eventually ;)

Andy were they the cheapest scans? The way I look at it, filmdev can't afford to spend too much time on each neg frame for £3 plus cheapest scan BUT the same girls at Asda were there for years and knew me and looked very bored at times and were pleased to do my films and because they were just employees could spend more time on each neg frame (as they were not over loaded with work).....anyway I'll get over missing Asda eventually ;)

I expect filmdev is highly automated. For a small operation out of someone's house, and with the volume of film that must be coming through their letterbox, they have to be - at least for the C41 process. I expect the B&W process is more hands on, hence the higher price.

I expect filmdev is highly automated. For a small operation out of someone's house, and with the volume of film that must be coming through their letterbox, they have to be - at least for the C41 process. I expect the B&W process is more hands on, hence the higher price.

Well as a supporter of Asda for years..if you have a good trained operator at Asda and a good trained operator at Filmdev both using expensive m/cs..then what's the difference in results (excluding high resolution scans which Asda didn't do). Anyway I'll look around to see if there is a better deal than Filmdev as I'm unhappy at the low scans which are less than old Asda, but Filmdev seemed to be the cheapest price ATM if sending two films or more.

Well as a supporter of Asda for years..if you have a good trained operator at Asda and a good trained operator at Filmdev both using expensive m/cs..then what's the difference in results (excluding high resolution scans which Asda didn't do). Anyway I'll look around to see if there is a better deal than Filmdev as I'm unhappy at the low scans which are less than old Asda, but Filmdev seemed to be the cheapest price ATM if sending two films or more.

The thing is Brian that pretty much everyone you speak to that uses filmdev will tell you that they are excellent, the scans are pin sharp and dust free with good colours and the negs are equally as clean and well developed. Asda are gone mate and filmdev are, in my opinion, the best option. Your mileage may vary but I'm far happier sending them off rather than using Asda or doing them myself.
I still do my own b & w and my 5x4 colour negs but all the rest are shipped out to the north east, happy as (to quote Carl) a fat lad with a cake. :D

Well after looking at the scans from filmdev (three 35mm films) they are no better or worse than old Asda ( a good one). In fact there were tramline scratches on some of the negs..I'm not going to complain as they were just some test shots and of no importance, also Asda gave a scan of 1840 X 1024 and filmdev are 1545 X 1024 for cheapest :(. I can't see why the scanning m\c is set so low as surely the difference in scanning from 1840 X 1024 compared to 1545 X 1024 is secs (not minutes).....h'mmm

That's weird, Brian... 135 film frames are 24mm by 36mm, an aspect ratio of 2:3. The Filmdev scans seem pretty much the right aspect ratio. The Asda scans are 1.9:1; I don't know where the extra pixels came from!

That's weird, Brian... 135 film frames are 24mm by 36mm, an aspect ratio of 2:3. The Filmdev scans seem pretty much the right aspect ratio. The Asda scans are 1.9:1; I don't know where the extra pixels came from!

Sorry Chris a typo Asda should be 1840 X 1224.....Tesco used to scan at 1908 X 1272, and I'm guessing Asda scanned with the same setting (using same Fuji Frontier m\c) but with Asda they clipped the neg ( I always allowed for this in my shots) so maybe the clipping reduced it to 1840 X 1224.
Anyway having a lower scan from Filmdev doesn't help for cropping and the quality would suffer doing a A4 print with a home printer....as with the higher Asda scan you could just about get away with a A4 print.

Last edited:
Filmdev do their downloads via WeTransfer... but of course they still have to upload them first!

This is the problem we have, uploading. Even though we paid for a lease line (that is, our own personal line back to the exchange)

Therefore our plan is to implement a server where customers are able to log in and download their images once they are notified they are ready. I want to implement this as part of a major website re-vamp that we are currently working on which will combine our current 2 sites into one. We are very close to phase one launch, which will be the replacing of the ag-photographic.co.uk website for product sales (on the face of it, the site wont look all that different to the outgoing one, but it has a lot more sophistication "under the hood"). The lab will then be brought in under the same domain as phase 2, and launched. I would hope we can get this download solution sorted at that point.

This is the problem we have, uploading. Even though we paid for a lease line (that is, our own personal line back to the exchange)

Therefore our plan is to implement a server where customers are able to log in and download their images once they are notified they are ready. I want to implement this as part of a major website re-vamp that we are currently working on which will combine our current 2 sites into one. We are very close to phase one launch, which will be the replacing of the ag-photographic.co.uk website for product sales (on the face of it, the site wont look all that different to the outgoing one, but it has a lot more sophistication "under the hood"). The lab will then be brought in under the same domain as phase 2, and launched. I would hope we can get this download solution sorted at that point.

Excellent news. Not that there's anything wrong with filmdev, just as a Brum resident I'd like to support a local business. I already buy most of my film from you.

Oof, I've not developed slide film in a while, and it looks like prices have gone up across the board! Just sent a roll of Velvia off to AG Photolab for dev-only. I'll have to scan it at home!

Wondering if someone can help me out.

Just got a roll of Portra 160 developed and its come back looking very over exposed and has a blue cast. It was shot on a Mamiya RZ67 Pro ii and i'm sure I got all my exposures correct. It was developed at Snappy Snaps, poor choice I know but needed a quick turnaround. Scanned them in with an Epson V600 Photo (and pretty sure all the settings are right on that)

Heres what the initial scan looks like

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 18.30.00.png

And then with Epson Scan auto correction
Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 18.32.03.png

If anyone has seen something like this before or knows what the hell is going on please help!

Last edited:
Back