Film Developing in the UK

Edit My Images
No
I've just had some dirty negs back from AG, not the first time so I think it's time to try someone else.

Is Peak still one of the preferred labs and has anyone used Digitalab?
https://www.digitalab.co.uk/

Thanks
Everyone messes up at some point, it's just the nature of film developing. The measure of a good company is how they deal with mistakes - Filmdev for example where really good when they had problems with scanning for a while.
If you've been happy with AG up until now I'd go back to them and see what they say. Hopefully they should sort you out, if not then time to move on.

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just had some dirty negs back from AG, not the first time so I think it's time to try someone else.

Is Peak still one of the preferred labs and has anyone used Digitalab?
https://www.digitalab.co.uk/

Thanks
That's a shame. Peak are excellent, reasonably priced and quick. They use XTOL (edit, as does Filmdev); AG (used to, dunno now) use NegaStar, of either of those is an issue. Edit: Filmdev are probably cheaper for dev+scan, Peak cheaper for dev-only. Remember Peak have a Freepost facility.

Last edited:
Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
No
I have used Digitalab a few times (before I moved to doing most of my own processing), partly because they are local to me. On the whole they were fine, but I did one receive some dirty negs, which they reprocessed to fix the problem.

I have also used The Darkroom UK Ltd (https://www.the-darkroom.co.uk/ ) and had no problems. They have a very quick turnaround (usually just 1 day in the lab) and provide a prepaid label for sending the film in to them.

Name
Gareth (Not Gary!)
Edit My Images
No
Had to use AG recently because I had some slide to develop. The service for me was fine, however the cost of returning your negs/positives is too prohibitive for me to make it a regular thing. Fortunately I don't shoot a lot of slide (rarely - although it is beautiful to look at), so I will continue to use Canadian Film Lab.

For those who don't know, they keep your negatives until they reach one inch which or a year and then charge you a single postage cost to ship them back to you, as do Carmencita film lab.

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I think it pretty much depends on whether or not you want prints or scans. I haven't used digitalab, but a quick check on their website has them at £12.55 to dev and low res scan a 35mm film, whereas I use Filmdev and have just sent off a 35mm film to be developed and low res scan for £4.00. Medium res scan & dev would be £6, but I can scan the negs myself and am only really using the £4 service to see what I've got. http://filmdev.co.uk/

Last edited:
Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
I think it pretty much depends on whether or not you want prints or scans. I haven't used digitalab, but a quick check on their website has them at £12.55 to dev and low res scan a 35mm film, whereas I use Filmdev and have just sent off a 35mm film to be developed and low res scan for £4.00. Medium res scan & dev would be £6, but I can scan the negs myself and am only really using the £4 service to see what I've got. http://filmdev.co.uk/
This is exactly what I do, I treat the small scans as a 'contact sheet' and do my own higher-res scans of the better shots when I get the negs back. £4 plus say £2 for posting to them. Bargain and I've not found cheaper yet for my colour stuff.

Name
Gareth (Not Gary!)
Edit My Images
No
As I have said previously, home scanning for me is nowhere near what I can get form a lab. Other people seem to manage really great results with the V700 including a friend of mine, however I can't seem to do it. Then there is the additional dust spotting as well as colour correction for consistent results. For me, all of those factors combined result in me using a dedicated lab who can get me consistent results that require minor tweaks when I get the files back. I can worry about taking the photos and not how my lack of skills affect how I display them.

Until I start dark room printing that is, then that's another thing entirely. Might stick the V700 in the classifieds soon as it's just sat here, unloved.

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
No
After issues with several rolls I would rather give someone else a go rather than go back and fourth with AG, it's not worth my time to keep going back to a company with complaints hence looking for alternatives :)

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
After issues with several rolls I would rather give someone else a go rather than go back and fourth with AG, it's not worth my time to keep going back to a company with complaints hence looking for alternatives :)
Another vote for FilmDev here. Posted a batch of film to them yesterday afternoon, 1st Class and I've received the PayPal invoice today. Just waiting for the download link to pop up in my emails now. The longest I've ever waited for scans is about four working days I think. I've had one problem with a scan, a single warped frame on a roll of film and they offered to fix that no problem. The large scans are well worth the extra £2, the difference in detail in the file is quite something.

Edit My Images
No
I also had issues with AG and moved to Peak, never had an issue since and the quality and service has always been top notch. Not used FilmDev personally.

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
I like Filmdev. They might not be the best quality, but they're good for 99% of what I do. They're cheap as chips and have a fast turnaround too. I did have an issue once where they sent me a download link, and I got someone else's photos lol, but they sorted it quickly. I love using Canadian Film Lab, and with their film forwarding service the price isn't too bad. The thing that stops me using them more though, is their 2 week turnaround. Now I tend to use CFL for important things like holiday photos etc, and Filmdev for day to day stuff.

I've also used The Darkroom UK for 120 E6 stuff and they used to be incredibly quick, but that was only dev only. Now I use Peak for my E6 4x5's dev only and they're fantastic.

Edit My Images
No
Has anyone asked FilmDev to push process B&W? How did it turn out and was there a charge? The order form gives 'push film' as an example in the additional notes section, so I assume they do it, and I believe they use XTOL, which ought to work well for a couple of stops.

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Not much use to anybody but me or others on holiday up here, but was in Jessops in Inverness today for a lenscloth. I told the assistant I would have lost a bet as they were selling Fuji disposables, since I knew they had nothing to do with film now. On the contrary I was told, we process 35mm C41 on the premises on either 1 hour service @ £8 for 6x4 prints, or next day @ £6.50 o_O Dev and scan to CD would also be possible for around £8, so that starts to be attractive for a single film when the £3 postage to Filmdev is taken into account. I guess I'll need to put my money where my mouth is now, but it could save last minute postage trauma for FPOTY. :)

excalibur2

My F4's Broken...
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
h'mm scans from filmdev are all over the place for OOD Kodak gold 100 iso.....well my entry for landscapes is on there and it took a bit of work using Photoshop to get a decent result, but still not happy and I'll scan again on my V750...so annoying when you don't get WYSIWYG. :(
btw I realise filmdev are cheap and i accept their scans are really proofs for the price but Tesco and Asda were much better and saved me doing home dev and scanning (y)

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
h'mm scans from filmdev are all over the place for OOD Kodak gold 100 iso.....well my entry for landscapes is on there and it took a bit of work using Photoshop to get a decent result, but still not happy and I'll scan again on my V750...so annoying when you don't get WYSIWYG. :(
btw I realise filmdev are cheap and i accept their scans are really proofs for the price but Tesco and Asda were much better and saved me doing home dev and scanning (y)
If you're not happy with the result, ring them up and ask them about it. If they've still got your film and/or the files, they may be able to re-scan or re-process the images. I've found them very open to recognising a problem and doing their best to sort it out!

Although I do get annoyed with the re-processed images that have their time and date set to zero, which screws up the sequencing. This is something in their workflow that they don't seem able to fix. Maybe I'll have another go at them next time it happens!

excalibur2

My F4's Broken...
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Well Chris I'm sure they would for a complaint but for low scan and they price they charge I can't see how they can get the best results all the time, and I might have given them a problem with the 2006 Kodak gold :eek:.
But in mentioning Tesco and Asda I might be a bit unfair as I gave them a lot of Superia 200 and some Reala and fresh Vista and these stand out going through old shots.