Film Developing in the UK

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
I got my scans back just after 5pm yesterday, they did email me back and say some unexpected maintenance had caused their turnaround times to extend. After waiting a week, three of the four rolls I sent are basically unuseable because my camera obviously had a stuck shutter so I have lots of blank exposures and black bars on my images :(

excalibur2

My F4's Broken...
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
I got my scans back just after 5pm yesterday, they did email me back and say some unexpected maintenance had caused their turnaround times to extend. After waiting a week, three of the four rolls I sent are basically unuseable because my camera obviously had a stuck shutter so I have lots of blank exposures and black bars on my images :(
:eek: did you check the camera before putting a film in?

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
:eek: did you check the camera before putting a film in?
Yep, shot two test rolls through it before I went on holiday, no problem at all. As soon as I was away it started playing up. Checked it with no film in and thought the shutter was sticking after the film had already been exposed. It fired ok but the blades then didn't move back to the correct position after the film had wound on without me half pressing the shutter button again. Thought it was exposing correctly but obviously not. I had my older Olympus film camera with me too so I shot a roll on that as well so I do have some images from the trip at least.

Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Damn, sorry to hear that Richard. :( The joys of old cameras.:rolleyes: Probably the best bet would be to have a look round and see if you can find a nice Canon EOS 30 in full working order and get that as one of your Christmas presents. (y)

If you can make this: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...ocals-cheshire-area-christmas-meet-up.687391/ I should have my EOS 30 with me so you can see what you think of them.
When I got home I had a proper look and I can see a sticky residue on the shutter blades. I'll have a go at cleaning it with some alcohol and see if that cures it. Very frustrating as the two rolls I shot through it before the holiday it worked perfectly. I've still got some nice images from the trip though which I'll post a few of later on. I did take loads with my phone camera and my wifes new Fujifilm X-T100 as well so we have plenty of digital images from the holiday.

excalibur2

My F4's Broken...
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Yep, shot two test rolls through it before I went on holiday, no problem at all. As soon as I was away it started playing up
:rolleyes: well you did everything right.....cameras I can't trust I dismantle for spare screws etc as for me it's not worth the cost of servicing them.

Edit My Images
Yes
or he could have got a T70 as a freebie :D
I don't know if he's got any Canon FD lenses, so it might turn out to be an expensive freebie if he needs to buy some to use it! Besides, I think Richard already has an OM10 if he wants a manual focus camera. I seem to remember it's an EOS 5 (?) Richard has got and I think they can be prone to 'sticky shutter' syndrome. As you say, probably not currently worth the cost of repair if it's become unreliable, unless the DIY cleaning works. Even then, I think I'd be wary of it and want a reliable replacement (while 35mm SLRs are still reasonably affordable and plentiful).

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
I don't know if he's got any Canon FD lenses, so it might turn out to be an expensive freebie if he needs to buy some to use it! Besides, I think Richard already has an OM10 if he wants a manual focus camera. I seem to remember it's an EOS 5 (?) Richard has got and I think they can be prone to 'sticky shutter' syndrome. As you say, probably not currently worth the cost of repair if it's become unreliable, unless the DIY cleaning works. Even then, I think I'd be wary of it and want a reliable replacement (while 35mm SLRs are still reasonably affordable and plentiful).
It's an EOS 50 I have. It only cost £20 off eBay so it doesn't owe me much. To be honest for the size of it, if I'm going to take the EOS 50 I may as well just take my Canon DSLR, they're about the same size. You're right I do have an OM10 which I very much enjoy shooting with. I may fix the Canon and stick it back on eBay, and get an extra lens or two for the OM10 with the proceeds.

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Well only if you can fix it yourself but if you want an EOS 300 I can put it on classifieds..suggest a price I should put plus recorded delivery and it's yours.
That's very kind, if I can't fix the EOS 50 I'll certainly let you know.

excalibur2

My F4's Broken...
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
That's very kind, if I can't fix the EOS 50 I'll certainly let you know.
If ever you want to buy a film camera in the future its worth checking the guys here (or classifieds) as sometimes you'll get the camera for free or it would be cheaper than the bay and with the added attraction (that nearly all sellers adhere to)...... if something is not working properly then you get your money back (y)

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Another question someone on here may be able to answer, do FilmDev offer push processing? I can't find any mention of it on their website at all.

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Another question someone on here may be able to answer, do FilmDev offer push processing? I can't find any mention of it on their website at all.
Yes I believe so, request in the notes and no extra charge AFAIK for up to 2 stops. Mind you, when I rang them to discuss it one time, they suggested I go for standard processing as most films will take that, and it was fine.

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Yes I believe so, request in the notes and no extra charge AFAIK for up to 2 stops. Mind you, when I rang them to discuss it one time, they suggested I go for standard processing as most films will take that, and it was fine.
Brilliant thank you

Name
adrian
Edit My Images
No
I posted mine friday arrived saturday no link as of yet, will let everyone know when i get the link and whether there were any issues.
Hi i emailed filmdev this afternoon asked about my film and got a link by return email to pay at approx 1430. This was paid straight away no link for pictures as of yet this evening.

Link now received as of 19:12pm

Last edited:
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi i emailed filmdev this afternoon asked about my film and got a link by return email to pay at approx 1430. This was paid straight away no link for pictures as of yet this evening.

Link now received as of 19:12pm
The delay may be the result of having to upload the scans to WeTransfer... though I quite often get my download link before the payment link!