Film Developing in the UK

Some PO's refuse to wiggle, I know Ive asked them ;)

So we need a list of post offices that will perform the wiggle :D The guy at the counter judged mine by the height of the gap in the glass partition (where you slide your money under)..but if you don't wiggle the jiffy bag rides up and a way of preventing this IMO would be strips of celotape along the length which would allow it to slide under easier.

Just use a regular post box instead of a post office :) I always get the one guy at the post office that isn't as enthusiastic about letting it go as a large letter and refuses to use anything more than gravity to see if it drops through the slot in the thickness gauge, so I'm made to pay for a parcel. Since I started just putting them in a post box I've not had a single issue and they've all arrived ok. Plus now I can use the post box 50 metres from my house and don't have to drive into town!

Another one to go on the list https://www.exposurefilmlab.com/ 120 dev is £3, but scans looks expensive @ £8 for 8mb file (whatever that means) but looking at the standard scan and for 35mm is 4094X2748 using a Fuji Frontier 3000 (h'mm same M\C as Asda.;)).
But if just interested in dev:- 3 films sent in jiffy bag is £9.75 return postage is £1.50 so total is £11.25.

Cheapest so far is Snaps Bournemouth @£11, next is exposure film lab@ £11.25 and next is AG Photolab all in at £11.85

Last edited:
You could try FilmDev, three rolls of 120 would be £12 for develop and scanning with free return postage. Or £15 for medium size scans. Service is super quick too.

Last edited:
My current film from Filmdev I've asked for no sharpening, as the Cornish ones I thought were a touch over-sharpened. They say they sharpen for printing at the appropriate size for the scan... I've received the download (which is sharpened), but not the CD yet (which will be un-sharpened). Will report back...

Another one to go on the list https://www.exposurefilmlab.com/ 120 dev is £3, but scans looks expensive @ £8 for 8mb file (whatever that means) but looking at the standard scan and for 35mm is 4094X2748 using a Fuji Frontier 3000 (h'mm same M\C as Asda.;)).
But if just interested in dev:- 3 films sent in jiffy bag is £9.75 return postage is £1.50 so total is £11.25.

Cheapest so far is Snaps Bournemouth @£11, next is exposure film lab@ £11.25 and next is AG Photolab all in at £11.85

Many thanks for the plug.

The only thing I would point out - you get free post into us at Ag, and free jiffy bag. Which means £11.85 would be the total cost. The others, you need to factor in the inbound post.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the plug.

The only thing I would point out - you get free post into us at Ag, and free jiffy bag. Which means £11.85 would be the total cost. The others, you need to factor in the inbound post.

Well if you had to buy a jiffy bag say at 30p to send the film then the prices for all three I mentioned are similar and just pennies difference.

Well after about 5 years I posted 120 films to Snaps Bournemouth which I used before, posted 2nd class thurs and they got the film monday and I received them back recorded tues in non polythene sleeves with backing to attached to a folder, also a polythene addressed bag with no stamp on it.
Well the old Fuji 100 pre 2007 was a pleasure to scan but Fuji 400H pro exp in 2007 was an absolute PITA, but I suppose with a name like 400h pro its not supposed to be used 9 years later:rolleyes:
If you see any spots I only spend time on shots that are worth it.
Fuji 100 RB 65 mm lens V750

couldn't get this scan looking right and looks like a dev fault in the sky..etrs fuji 400h pro v750

A few came out all right after a lot of farting around in Photoshop like this one..etrs fuji 400h pro V750

Last edited:
Found one exposed Tri-x 100 in fridge. I remember trying it once but never got a chance to develop it. I have sent it out to CC imaging Leeds to try out their services. Anyone here used them in past?

Thanks

Didn't think Tri-X was available as 100, are you sure it's not T-Max?

AAMOI have similar shots comparing RB and 35mm..crushing a scanned 6X7 to 1000px then going through photobucket then to here can equalise it to 35mm, I've noticed it before and posted the comparison a few years ago, of course Asda use a Fuji Frontier scanner which helps for 35mm.
RB lab dev scanned by V750 at 3200dpi Superia exp 2007

Asda dev and scanned 35mm Kodak gold exp anout 2006....must have been stored incorrectly as its got a cast I can't seem to remove without affecting other colours.

Last edited:
Well Asda still working at Slough and more reliable than posting as last week someone had nicked the complete post box just up the road from me. H'mm Edward VII..... might be a collectors item or just for scrap
CNV00028-500px.jpg

Bad news, boots film processing costs are going up. Can't remember the exact amounts but IIRC the standard 2 day cost of 1-28 6x4" images was going from £4.99 up to around £7. If I remember, I'll get the full price changes list tomorrow.

Totally blown away with the service from FilmDev again today. They've changed their process now too; they used to send you a link to lower quality downloads with a CD following in the post, but now they send the full quality files via download.

Shot a roll over the weekend and posted it off yesterday morning. Got home from work to an email containing my download link this afternoon. Tiff files 3000 px on the longest side, received the day after posting it off, with free return postage of the film in the next few days. All for £5. Incredible stuff really.

... and Filmdev apparently have some sort of "profile" service:

We can work with you to provide a custom profile that works with your particular style and way of shooting. With a custom profile you can be guaranteed that your result will of consistent quality but with your own preferences in regard to tone, colour and contrast every time.

I haven't tried this. And yes, I totally loved getting my scans less than 24 hours after dropping the films into the post box!

ETA PS: I've asked them not to sharpen my scans now (a couple of films I felt were over sharpened), give me negs in 6s, and send the negs back in floppy envelopes so they fit through the letterbox...

Last edited:
Looks like the take over at Asda is going ahead and a very cautious hooray in that they might be keeping the film business going...I've been using them a lot lately testing lenses for ones to keep, and two rolls onto one CD is cheap for £5

Looks like the take over at Asda is going ahead and a very cautious hooray in that they might be keeping the film business going...I've been using them a lot lately testing lenses for ones to keep, and two rolls onto one CD is cheap for £5

Apologies but i didnt catch that, Asda going to keep film services?

Apologies but i didnt catch that, Asda going to keep film services?

Well what a shop girl tells you and what's in the mind of the take over company could be two different answers. Who knows, if the company thinks there is a revival in film would probably at least go on a store by store basis for the ones that are used most as they won't want to make a loss and if they put their prices up they would be in direct competition with Filmdev great idea of downloading scanned files.
But who knows Asda might be letting their floor space free for the take over Company, as customers would probably spend some money on food or whatever while the film (or digi part) is being done.....h'mm in that case why is Asda "selling off" in the first place.
So about Oct we'll know and I wouldn't be surprised if the floor space is reduced with the existing self service digi m\cs and a printer.

Last edited:
I spoke to the ladies at my local Asda yesterday and they are optimistic that when they are taken over by Photo Me the service will be as good or better than now. They have been told that machines will be serviced and maintained more regularly. Good news.

Andy

I spoke to the ladies at my local Asda yesterday and they are optimistic that when they are taken over by Photo Me the service will be as good or better than now. They have been told that machines will be serviced and maintained more regularly. Good news.

Andy

Well they have a Fuji dev m\c that doesn't touch any areas of the image while developing and the negs are dried before exiting, they also have a very good Fuji scanner (that other labs use)......so all they have to do is to make sure transferring the negs to the scanner and scanning is dust free and re-programme the scanner for less sharpening and maybe less cutoffs in the dark areas.....what more could you guys want in 35 mins esp if the price is cheap if only wanting a low scan. But IMO there is a difference in setting the scanner for a CD and prints, so that could still be a problem,

Last edited:
There's usually someone using those machines when I'm there, and they're *always* having to ask the staff how to use them. Never once seen someone successfully solo it.

I've seen that as well and when you think staff are paid the minimum wage of about £6\hour they need many persons using them.....what was amusing once I was there was someone used the digi machine (with help) and wanted one photo for 23p :rolleyes:

Well, I went down to ASDA this morning, and the machine was broken. The good news is, though, there's an engineer on their way this afternoon, which means that they do at least have a service contract for these things. She was also hopeful that they'll be keeping the processing on after September - apparently they do pretty good business on them, and there aren't many "wet lab" ASDAs left.

Could a mod (maybe @TheBigYin ?) update the list in the original post to include this one:

Have a look at a small, friendly firm here: www.filmdev.co.uk – good scans and economic too. They can be contacted by phone so you can explain the scan requirements you have. They are cheap and have been very quick (1-2 days service, images delivered via web for lower resolutions then followed up with TIFFs or JPEG on a CD with your negs returned post free.

It's been mentioned quite a lot recently but its details are buried many pages back.

http://www.filmdev.co.uk/?page_id=1842

Also the UK Film Lab entry on that page should now become non-functional, since they've moved to Canada...

EDIT: Filmdev is in Stockton on Tees, if you need that info, @TheBigYin

Last edited:
I'll sort it tomorrow, when I'm back at a desktop machine, Daren't edit stuff like this on my mobile...

Used John Gunn Camera when I was traveling in Ireland recently. One of the most friendly and lovely people I've met, just a warm guy.

Developing and scanning were good.

Prints were outstandingly good. You know when you're giddy with excitement over your own photos - had that a lot with these prints.

Highly recommended.

I've had a lot of 5x4 sheet film in this week. Makes me wonder if some labs have given up on 5x4 thinking it's done.
I've had 129, 77 and 94 sheets in 3 jobs from 3 different people.

Could a mod (maybe @TheBigYin ?) update the list in the original post to include this one:

It's been mentioned quite a lot recently but its details are buried many pages back.

http://www.filmdev.co.uk/?page_id=1842

FilmDev have now stopped sending out images on CD. Apparently fewer and fewer people have disc drives (I know I don't) so my last films were processed and scanned and I got a link to a WeTransfer zip file containing the full res scan. Negs arrived in the post a day or two later as usual.

A good idea as far as I'm concerned and should enable them to control costs as well.

Used John Gunn Camera when I was traveling in Ireland recently. One of the most friendly and lovely people I've met, just a warm guy.

Developing and scanning were good.

Prints were outstandingly good. You know when you're giddy with excitement over your own photos - had that a lot with these prints.

Highly recommended.

Were they pricey, Matt? Reason for asking is I've seen a couple of Irish blogs asking about dev services in the past year or so.

I've had a lot of 5x4 sheet film in this week. Makes me wonder if some labs have given up on 5x4 thinking it's done.
I've had 129, 77 and 94 sheets in 3 jobs from 3 different people.

Interesting... with the prices of sheet film AND processing, those are clearly serious people!

Were they pricey, Matt? Reason for asking is I've seen a couple of Irish blogs asking about dev services in the past year or so.

For develop, scan and prints it was 14 Euro a roll, which is about par with what I pay in pounds in England. I'm sure with just scanning, or just prints it'd be about 10-11 Euro, which is pretty reasonable. Not ASDA level cheap, but it's a small shop run by great people.

After seeing some recommendations for filmdev I thought Id give them a try. I send 3 rolls of film off on Tuesday afternoon, received a phone call 10.00 this morning (thursday) saying my files were ready for download. Superb service I must say. I think Ill be using them from now on!

Was that a phone call to pay over the phone? If you write a note on your order form they will send you a PayPal invoice via email instead, which is much easier when if you're working during the day :)

Back