Film Drying Techniques

Name
Shaun
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening everyone

What I usually do after the stabilizer, is do one final rinse with water and a wetting agent (5 inversions) and hang up to dry as full strip. I've learn't however that rinsing with an agent after the stabilizer isn't necessary as the stabilizer effectively is one, and stops the film degrading. I don't wipe down the film with my fingers or a squeegee

I did see that someone cuts them into strips of 6 (for 35mm) and strips of 3 for 120 film, and then hang. I would imagine you get less curling this way?

How do you do yours?

I leave strips whole and use weights to keep straight.
I use a dryer — the faster it dries, the cleaner it stays!

I only cut the film into strips after drying, because the space between the frames is a little too narrow to comfortably apply the film clips without intruding on the image. Also, you would need more clips if you cut the film before drying.

The shower technique helps to reduce curling - I dry the films in a shower room and run the shower for the last few minutes of the processing cycle.

I only cut the film into strips after drying, because the space between the frames is a little too narrow to comfortably apply the film clips without intruding on the image. Also, you would need more clips if you cut the film before drying.

The shower technique helps to reduce curling - I dry the films in a shower room and run the shower for the last few minutes of the processing cycle.

That's a very good point

I have a dryer that I hang my film in, it is a heater dryer.... I have the whole roll with a clip on each top corner and each bottom corner for 120... and just one at the top and bottom for 35mm. If it curls you are drying too quick. I cut after they are dry.
When I did dry in the shower I ran the shower before I hung them as it keeps the dust down.

Back