Film Photographer of the Year 2017 - Discussion

I might have something on the om20 roll or maybe something off the minox. Weather has been awkward.

It does tend to make for a month of rather dull thread viewing for any spectators. :(

And if you post on the 1st of the month as I did last month, it makes a dull month for me!

Don't worry, I imagine you'll have at least two entries, as Mr and Mrs Snap vie for the title of 'best film photographer' in their household. ;) In fact, I suspect there might be some large format stuff going cheap on eBay if things go a certain way! :D

He's about to overtake me on the leaderboard. :( I need to up my game.

I've got a picture earmarked for this month but I'm not putting it up yet just in case....;)

I don't usually shoot mine until the 27th but that aside I still don't see what penalising late entrants achieves.

If you want people to enter earlier in the month you may as well just bring the closing date forward to the 14th of the month.

The thing is that because it is an Open Theme that means that you have to post the best picture that you have taken all year. The one that will leave peoples jaws on the pavement. The one that gets you a room at the Tate Modern. The one that will get you an OBE. I am not convinced that I actually have it in the bag yet. I have to take a few more snaps of me cat yet before I am guaranteed sponsorship by Nikon.

Competitions can be boring for some, as you have to take shots that you would probably wouldn't bother with....I remember the camera club comps and one theme was loneliness :rolleyes: so I was looking for solitary subjects walking down a path, park benches etc, anyway I ending up taking a shot of my son at the end of a jetty looking out to sea (looking lonely) with the jetty leading towards him...and for all that boring work didn't get anywhere in the comp. :(

Crikey that's a good photo! Good work Nige (y):clap:
Yes, but imagine how much better a photo it would have been if he'd waited until 23:59 on the 31st of July to post it! :LOL:

Snip:
The thing is that because it is an Open Theme that means that you have to post the best picture that you have taken all year. The one that will leave peoples jaws on the pavement.

I've taken plenty of photos this year that would leave people's jaws on the pavement if I entered them in the 'Open' this month... but unfortunately not for the right reasons! :runaway:

Last edited:
Yes, but imagine how much better a photo it would have been if he'd waited until 23:59 on the 31st of July to post it! :LOL:
You're right there, it almost has everything, it can only be improved upon by looking at it everyday and wondering if you could enter something better. :LOL:

July's been quiet! Have we all been out enjoying ourselves instead of playing with cameras?!

July's been quiet! Have we all been out enjoying ourselves instead of playing with cameras?!
For me it's born of indecision, I still can't decide which of my shots is the one to enter, depending on my mood they are either some of the best shots I've taken or utter rubbish. No doubt I'll be posting at about 10 minutes to midnight on the 31st.

We both have shots we could use but we're away in Scotland at the moment so could potentially get something better. We can't change the entry after posting so this month we'll be entering late. Mr Snap has brought a padded envelope and Filmdev form with him so we can post some films on Wednesday and hopefully the download will be waiting when we get home!

I don't know why I'm not entering yet really... I doubt I'll get a chance to take anything this weekend, and even if I do it'll have to be developed and scanned by Monday, which means it can only be B&W. I already like my current photo so the chances of getting something better are realistically zero!

For me it's born of indecision, I still can't decide which of my shots is the one to enter, depending on my mood they are either some of the best shots I've taken or utter rubbish. No doubt I'll be posting at about 10 minutes to midnight on the 31st.

I do exactly the same! Usually when I enter a photo I'm happy with it, and then the next day I look at it and thing "oh my God what was I thinking?"

I don't know why I'm not entering yet really... I doubt I'll get a chance to take anything this weekend, and even if I do it'll have to be developed and scanned by Monday, which means it can only be B&W. I already like my current photo so the chances of getting something better are realistically zero!

I ended up thinking about it and decided that this weekend would be better off spent getting a head start on the trees theme, so I've taken the plunge and entered :D

I've got a couple I like but someone, mentioning no names Carl.... Has put in a scenic large format, Cornwall shot and somewhat stolen my thunder. :mad:

We both have shots we could use but we're away in Scotland at the moment so could potentially get something better. We can't change the entry after posting so this month we'll be entering late. Mr Snap has brought a padded envelope and Filmdev form with him so we can post some films on Wednesday and hopefully the download will be waiting when we get home!
That's very organised, I'm impressed!

That's very organised, I'm impressed!

I will acknowledge that it was Jan's idea but I did the photographic packing so take full credit. :D

I've got a couple I like but someone, mentioning no names Carl.... Has put in a scenic large format, Cornwall shot and somewhat stolen my thunder. :mad:

Oops! :D At least we've found one good reason to enter earlier in the month!

You can still enter it Andy, it'll probably still be better than mine anyway lol

Oops! :D At least we've found one good reason to enter earlier in the month!

I tried that with the red wetsuit, and still didn't get any points!

I did have plans to get a gorgeous shot in Dorset, but that didn't materialise (some of them were definitely gorgeous... until I saw them!). Part of the problem I find is that it can take weeks for me to decide whether I really like a shot or not. The one I'm contemplating entering was one I had completely discarded at first.

@Kevin Allan I think we're only allowed one shot entry to the FPOTY, Kevin!

Well one problem leaving posting your shot to the last minute is:- you realise you have nothing to compare with the shots already posted :( So do you post something that would get no where just to keep the numbers up h'mm

We got back last night and the download was waiting for us :)

Just got to decide whether there is a shot on there to beat anything we already had.

I think I might now have my 'signs' shot :D

Well one problem leaving posting your shot to the last minute is:- you realise you have nothing to compare with the shots already posted :( So do you post something that would get no where just to keep the numbers up h'mm

If we all only posted what we thought would get points then there would be a lot less entries and I probably wouldn't have entered at all :D

If you're happy with your photo then enter away Brian :) It's as much a competition against yourself as it is against others. If you go out each month to find a photo that first the theme, and then get a result that you're happy with, then I'd say it's a success and you should enter it :)

I've narrowed my choices down to 5. I may end up having to pick one of them at random from a hat! :D

If your five photos happen to contain a tree, a bridge a sign and a church then you just need to find a reflection shot and you're done for the year :D

I wish!! This is the only month that any of them can be used in :(:confused:

Finally made my mind up. :thinking:

Ooh, I have some votes! :D The "Trees" theme is a tricky one... I have a couple of contenders! I bet I'll wait until the end of the month and post an older shot...

Yes, the tree theme is tricky. I just googled warwickshire tree photo and the result was depressing! I too have some candidates, but they are like, well, you know, sort of interesting but, you know...

So I went somewhere specifically this afternoon because they have a slightly weird tree, and half the garden was roped off so you can get underneath it but can't actually see it from anywhere else! (This sounds like the sort of thing you might need a Klein bottle to achieve, but they managed it.) Oh well, it's giving e stuff to do while the wife's away, and no-one's chatting on F&C!

Back