Film Photographer of the Year 2017 - Discussion

Distinct lack of conversation about this month it seems! How are people getting on with their entries?

I have the shot in mind, I just need to get up the hill to take it, plent of time left...

As I remember from the other POTY comp, June and July were particularly quiet.

Distinct lack of conversation about this month it seems! How are people getting on with their entries?

Well I made the mistake of loading 36 exp in the camera and got 16 shots to go :eek:..anything goes and trees are next so have to use the film up for them h'mm in between cutting about 140m @ 7 to 8ft high hedges :eek: :(

I'm struggling to find the time to be honest! All my cameras are bubblewrapped up in boxes but I'm going to try and dig one out at the weekend. Unlike other months I actually have a photo in mind, so I need to make the time to get it I think.

I was lucky to get a shot for this month's theme - it's been a busy one so far.

It's going to be another last minute entry

It's going to be another last minute entry

A delay for me in doing anything was the hot weather...h.mm time you get acclimatised and stop drinking gallons of water it's back to normal temp tomorrow (y)

I feel slightly at a loose end having jumped in on day 1! And next month is Open, which is always difficult... I have a shot in mind but I'm pretty sure I won't put it up near the beginning of the month, just in case.

I don't think ANYTHING useful came out of our week in Italy, photography-wise. :( Enjoyable in other senses though.

Sorry @Woodsy I read it and had a think about it, but then forgot to actually reply :whistle:

I think it depends whether you consider the description or text to form part of the entry? Some photos work great on their own with no text, but some photos need to be put in context or have some background information shared.

For this year, I think we'll leave it as the photo CAN'T be changed, but any accompanying text CAN. Next year perhaps we'll discuss it more and see what people think?

Sorry @Woodsy I read it and had a think about it, but then forgot to actually reply :whistle:

I think it depends whether you consider the description or text to form part of the entry? Some photos work great on their own with no text, but some photos need to be put in context or have some background information shared.

For this year, I think we'll leave it as the photo CAN'T be changed, but any accompanying text CAN. Next year perhaps we'll discuss it more and see what people think?

Hmmm... sometimes a title or caption can 'complete' a photo, so it could be argued that the accompanying text is sometimes as important as the image itself. If so, then the title and text shouldn't be altered. However, if it's just to correct a typo, etc.then there should be no harm in allowing an alteration.

So how about we adopt the following (either now, or next year)... "Once submitted, the photographic image and any title, caption and accompanying text can't be changed, except to correct typos, spelling mistakes or/or grammar." ?

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of giving images additional titles in a competition, apart from in the "open" months, since we already themes for each month it shouldn't need a title.

I know we're used to shoehorning images into the old monthly challenges and the new old film challenges but the FPOTY is a little more serious/important (ish) so if it's not obvious how the shot fits the theme then it's not doing what it's supposed to do.

I'd be happy if titles were removed from next year's competition if assuming there is one :D

Nonono - sometimes I have to put a whole page of excuses.. er.. context with mine! :)

..and for the voters who don't get your entry...reminds me of the one titled "stations" and I entered a shot "stations in life".....h'mm it wasn't even put up in the list for voting..shame on Trevor (IIRC) :rolleyes:

Lot's of good thoughts and opinions on the matter :) I quite like captions with photos because I'm the kind of person that likes a back story, but I think that's just because I'm a curious person who likes stories. I would be happy to go either way to be honest, and I do think @RaglanSurf is right in that a photo that needs a caption might not be doing what it's meant to be doing.

Either way the rule will stay the same for this year (meaning that there isn't one, have a caption or don't! :D), but we can look at adding a rule (whichever way it goes) for the start of next year.

Also, only three and a half days to go. Get those entries in!

edit: Oh crap, only three and a half days to go... I need to pull my finger out and take a photo!!

.....got my shot but still 9 shots to go on my 36 exp roll and it's going to rain this afternoon and tomorrow......and then if Asda has stopped dev film then that's that :(

Thanks for the reminder of how little time I'd got left Carl. :eggface: Photo taken and late post caught, so now it's up to Royal Mail and Filmdev to work their respective magic while I sit here and hope it turns out like I wanted! Best of luck with yours too. (y)

Always the best moment of that... my work of genius is in the post... phone call from Filmdev... downloading... downloading... oh crap! Maybe I can rescue it with a little PP?????:D

Always the best moment of that... my work of genius is in the post... phone call from Filmdev... downloading... downloading... oh crap! Maybe I can rescue it with a little PP?????:D
I think Robert Louis Stevenson probably got it about right with "To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive"! :LOL:

Well, the good news (for me) is that Filmdev and RM did their stuff well and I've not got a photo to enter, the bad news (for me) is that the image hosting site I use (Photobucket) have changed their terms and conditions and (if I understand the changes correctly) they won't display linked photos on other sites (such as this one) unless I pay them $399 per year!

As that's never going to happen, can anyone advise me on how best to enter my photo in the FPOTY this month please? I'd like to display my photo so people can see it at a good size, so is there a way of doing that without using an image hosting site?

If not, can anyone recommend a suitable free image hosting site? If so are there any tips to signing up so that I'm not signing my copyright away for the hosting site to sell on my photos, or other such pitfalls?

As a side issue, I imagine I might not be the only one to have had their photos disappear from the TF Forum as a result of Photobucket's change in terms and conditions, so perhaps we should consider extending/postponing this month's FPOTY voting period a few days to allow time for those who's images have vanished to realise they've gone and remedy the situation? After all, if you can't see the photo it's not going to get many votes! :(

Last edited:
I think Smugmug still do free. There's also Flickr. Not sure about bbcode linking. Both have it in but I've not checked it works via a free account.

Short term solution is to shrink it and upload it on the TP site itself.

So far it looks as if no-one who has already uploaded for this month has been hit by the Photobucket change. (If you don't know about it, my 1000+ photos on Photobucket now mostly show up as some kind of strange graphic saying I have to upgrade to this 500 Plus level, for $399 a year, to get 3rd party hosting. The images are still there if you click through, although that gives you the whole painful Photobucket advert experience... :( )

I have swapped to flickr, and it is MUCH superior, and also free. But you can also upload an image to TP, direct in the post. I'd suggest experimenting in this thread with a random, non-entry image to see how you get on @Mr Badger .

I'll have my dinner first then have an experiment, I may as well 'repost' one of my recent photos, after all, it seems it's the only way people will get to see it now! Thanks for the above suggestions, I can see it's going to be a long evening! :LOL:

Photo bucket are idiots If they think anyone will pay $399. Sounds like someone screwed up and it was meant to be $39.

I thought I'd sign up to Flickr, and that went OK. I set up an account, logged in and for the last 30 mins I've been trying in vain to upload one single photo. :( Each time I get a 'timed out' message. :grumpy: I've tried resizing the image (down to 2.5mb), renaming it and re-saving it, the lot. No joy, just more and more frustration. :banghead: Even Photobucket could cope with images of 11mb, and certainly ones of 2.5mb! So I'm afraid I'm at the end of my tether with it all. What was once a fun hobby has been turned into some sort of techy war of attrition tonight, so what's the point in that? All I want to do is post one photo in the comp thread, and even that small pleasure seems to have been taken from me. :dummy:

Last edited:
That's a shame @Mr Badger . I've not had problems with uploading images to flickr. Originally I used to resize them to max 1024 pixels on export from Aperture, then doing a web-based upload. Now I use the built-in upload direct from Aperture, which uploads the full-size scan; I can then select the right size to post to TP. Probably not directly relevant to you unless you still use Aperture.

It seems I've just managed to upload the photo using the 'Old Uploader' function button. :) I'm totally new to Flickr so have no idea why neither the drag and drop or attach files type options worked for me. :confused: I'm going to try to put a link in the comp thread now so wish me luck, I'll probably need it! :rolleyes:

Update: It looks like persistence (and a fair bit of trial and error) has paid off, thank goodness! That's an hour of my life I won't get back! :LOL: I'll try to upload the 11mb version now and see what happens... I may be some time! :whistle:

Last edited:
Well, the good news (for me) is that Filmdev and RM did their stuff well and I've not got a photo to enter, the bad news (for me) is that the image hosting site I use (Photobucket) have changed their terms and conditions and (if I understand the changes correctly) they won't display linked photos on other sites (such as this one) unless I pay them $399 per year!

As that's never going to happen, can anyone advise me on how best to enter my photo in the FPOTY this month please? I'd like to display my photo so people can see it at a good size, so is there a way of doing that without using an image hosting site?

If not, can anyone recommend a suitable free image hosting site? If so are there any tips to signing up so that I'm not signing my copyright away for the hosting site to sell on my photos, or other such pitfalls?

As a side issue, I imagine I might not be the only one to have had their photos disappear from the TF Forum as a result of Photobucket's change in terms and conditions, so perhaps we should consider extending/postponing this month's FPOTY voting period a few days to allow time for those who's images have vanished to realise they've gone and remedy the situation? After all, if you can't see the photo it's not going to get many votes! :(

H'mm well I uploaded a shot from Photobucket yesterday (maybe they haven't got around to me)...but I'm not sure I understand the problem as I clicked on "img" copy (last one on the list) and it posted alright in F&C. :confused:

If anyone's struggling for places to host their photos, why don't they just use the image uploaded on the forum and put it directly into a post? That's what I do with a lot of my old film challenge images that I don't want cluttering my Flickr feed :)

H'mm well I uploaded a shot from Photobucket yesterday (maybe they haven't got around to me)...but I'm not sure I understand the problem as I clicked on "img" copy (last one on the list) and it posted alright in F&C. :confused:

edit: I've just got the email today about upgrading, so I'll be switching to flickr but find the site not easy to use (unfriendly setup)...but maybe it will improve when I get to use it more.

Sorry guys life got in the way then the weather turned and I never got mine. :(

I have my better photos on Flickr but have stuff with no artistic merit (things in pieces, bits of my bike/washing machine etc) on Photobucket. I don't like Photobucket as it brings up lots of popups, some of which look decidedly iffy. Can anyone recommend a free site where I can keep my poor quality pics instead of Photobucket?

I have my better photos on Flickr but have stuff with no artistic merit (things in pieces, bits of my bike/washing machine etc) on Photobucket. I don't like Photobucket as it brings up lots of popups, some of which look decidedly iffy. Can anyone recommend a free site where I can keep my poor quality pics instead of Photobucket?
Can a private folder be set up in your existing Flickr account, but the embedded photos be visible here? If not, how about a second flickr account? Sorry if neither of these is a good idea, just thinking out loud really!

Just create a second Flickr account? I have two - my main one, and another where I've posted some fairly poor quality photos I found on a part exposed roll of film. I think you just need a second email address to associate the new account with.

EDIT: Beaten to it by the badger. :)

When you upload to flickr you an chose the privacy level. If you don't want them on view chose personal.

When you upload to flickr you an chose the privacy level. If you don't want them on view chose personal.

If you do that can you still embed them in TP posts that are visible?

Back