• RaglanSurf

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
This is the second and final open theme for FPOTY 2017, so put the shoehorns away and post your best photo.

Entries need to be posted in this thread by 23:59 on Monday 31st July 2017. A poll will go up for seven days afterwards to find the winners :)

This thread is for entries only, please keep everything else in the discussion thread here.

candlesticks_sml.jpg

Finally... tricky uploading from Spain on me phone, having forgotten me Flickr login. Anyhoo, didn't manage to take an epic pic this month because I am busy burning, so here is one from January, in my usual greeny, blurry stylee...

Last edited:
Well had something to photograph of the tree surgeon working next door, for these type of shots what do you do, take an overall shot to show how high he was (then he would be a tiny dot) or use a tele....I decided a 135mm:-
xE4V5kI.jpg

Well after much mulling over and pondering I've gone back to the shot I originally thought would be my entry, just because I like it.

Voigtlander R4a, Voigtlander 90mm Apo-Lanthar f3.5 on Kodak Ektar 100.
The winner of the heavy horse category at the Cumberland show.
Heavy-Horse by Andy, on Flickr

This probably isn't the very best shot I could have entered, but it's certainly the cutest!!

Red squirrel feeding on a peanut whilst clinging to a tree with it's feet. Taken from a hide at Kirroughtree visitor centre in Galloway Forest Park last week. They're fast little blighters! I took quite a few shots of him or her and this was the best one that I managed to get.

Nikon FG & Vivitar 135mm lens, Kodak Ektar 100

Red-Squirrel-1 by Janet, on Flickr

Polaroid SX-70, Outdated Impossible Project PX70 Film, shot on the TP Film & Conventional Cornwall meet. Ive no idea what it was supposed to be but it came out like this + a little embelishment.

Screen Shot 2017-05-25 at 21.32.20 by Nick Watson, on Flickr

Poll now up for voting. Please pick your three favourites. Poll closes in 7 days.

You don't have to have entered in order to vote, so if you're reading this then PLEASE VOTE!

Thanks for the votes all. Well done to @Carl Hall and the other point scorers, and to all the other entries.

@Carl Hall - how does the point scoring system work with multiple entries getting the same number of votes? I thought I'd get 6 points for getting third place (given that Woodsy, RaglanSurf & ChrisH were joint 2nd)? You can tell this is getting competitive! :D

The poll has closed and the results for this month are in!

Points for this month are:

10 - Carl Hall
8 - @Woodsy
8 - @RaglanSurf
8 - @ChrisR
2 - @FishyFish

Congratulations to all of the point scorers for this month!

Thanks for the votes all. Well done to @Carl Hall and the other point scorers, and to all the other entries.

@Carl Hall - how does the point scoring system work with multiple entries getting the same number of votes? I thought I'd get 6 points for getting third place (given that Woodsy, RaglanSurf & ChrisH were joint 2nd)? You can tell this is getting competitive! :D

A three way tie for second place effectively used up the 2nd, 3rd & 4th places, leaving you in fifth and scoring 2 points. If you had also shared second place, nobody else would have received any points because the next available position would have been sixth. I hope that makes sense! Perhaps someone can explain it better than me!

That's exactly it @Mrs Snap. For next year, I'd seek to lobby that the scoring system be simplified such that the number of votes someone gets is the number of points they get in the ranking. In this instance, that would mean that @Carl Hall would get 10 points, myself, @RaglanSurf and @ChrisR would all get 7 points, @FishyFish would get 6 points, @Kevin Allan would get 5, etc etc. That way, it more accurately represents the overall quality of the images submitted, and eliminates the varying nature of the number of voters from the scoring system.

That's exactly it @Mrs Snap. For next year, I'd seek to lobby that the scoring system be simplified such that the number of votes someone gets is the number of points they get in the ranking. In this instance, that would mean that @Carl Hall would get 10 points, myself, @RaglanSurf and @ChrisR would all get 7 points, @FishyFish would get 6 points, @Kevin Allan would get 5, etc etc. That way, it more accurately represents the overall quality of the images submitted, and eliminates the varying nature of the number of voters from the scoring system.

That's the way I'd assumed it worked. Otherwise there's the possible (though probably unlikely) chance that six people could all tie in first place, which breaks the system if there are only points for the top five.

I'm happy for it to stay the way it is this year though as it would presumably mean a lot of messing about with the scores and updating the leaderboard otherwise. I shall just have to work extra hard to regain those four points! :)

Last edited:
That's the way I'd assumed it worked. Otherwise there's the possible (though probably unlikely) chance that six people could all tie in first place, which breaks the system if there are only points for the top five.

I'm happy for it to stay the way it is this year though as it would presumably mean a lot of messing about with the scores and updating the leaderboard otherwise. I shall just have to work extra hard to regain those four points! :)

I think we've had a case where a couple of people have tied for 5th in which case Carl awarded them both 2 points, so in your example, all 6 would get (and deserve) 10!

@Mrs Snap got it spot on, if you're in a race and two people cross the line before you, you're the third to finish regardless of whether they crossed the line at the same time as each other or not :)

I think we've had a case where a couple of people have tied for 5th in which case Carl awarded them both 2 points, so in your example, all 6 would get (and deserve) 10!

Yeah that's right. Points are given up to fifth place, not the top five people. So if two people finish joint fifth place then they both get the points.

For that to work we'd need to maintain a high number of votes throughout the whole competition. I think the number of entries and votes falls as some people lose interest as the competition progresses. You'd probably find that people in the later months would be getting less points compared to those in the earlier months, for a reason they can't control. The number of voters has dropped for three months in a row now. In January we had 83 votes and this month it was 59. If the trend continues then we're looking at around 47 votes per month by December. I think it would be a good way of scoring points, but we'd need to keep the votes up through the year for it to be fair.

Well done to the winner, all the point scorers, and to everyone else for taking the time to make the effort to enter a photo. (y)

Well done to all, another good selection of interesting and well taken shots. (y)

Back