Film Photographer of the Year 2017 - Discussion

Carl what was the reason behind "Entries cannot be changed once submitted" ? Does anybody care if someone changes their shot ?

Hmm, I thought I'd changed this, but I guess not! I brought this rule up a while back and said about removing it, but I don't seem to have actually removed it!

If nobody has any objections, I think it might be a good idea to remove the rule saying that photos cant be changed once entered? I think allowing photos to be changed up until the deadline would work better.

I can see that this rule would be useful for compeitions where entries are emailed in, but I can see no benefit for FPOTY where users simply post photos in a thread. I think the majority of people leave their entries to the last minute so that they can enter the best photo of the month. Allowing entries to be changed means that people can post their photos earlier in the month, safe in the knowledge that they can change it if they take a better one later.

This also means that I wont have a breakdown when it gets to the 25th of the month and no ones entered yet :LOL: :D

Unless anyone has any objections, I reckon the rules can be amended to say that they can be changed up until the deadline. I don't think there's a way of stopping people changing them after the deadline, but F&C are a trustworthy lot ;)

I'm not that fussed, but, if I was forced to make a decision on this I would go with NOT allowed to change, for the very good reasons you gave earlier.

I'm not that fussed, but, if I was forced to make a decision on this I would go with NOT allowed to change, for the very good reasons you gave earlier.

Yeah, me too. I would rather the rules stayed as they are just to avoid confusion.

Personally, I'm not that bothered either way. I think it makes it more of a challenge if the shots can't be edited, but I suppose to keep in the spirit of it, sod it, why not eh!

I prefer not being able to change it means you really think about the shot you're puting up. On the other hand it just means no one submits till the deadline.

On the third hand I've not managed to enter this year so ignore me...

On the other hand it just means no one submits till the deadline..

Safest way, but you don't know how good your shot is until you see others and would persuade some to go back out to try harder and to get something better, but no point if you can't change your shot...anyway keep the rule and maybe next time allow.

Nothing from me I'm afraid:(
Ironically the idea that I was considering has already been posted by @Mr Badger ....... a much better result than I would have probably acheived(y)

Nothing from me I'm afraid:(
Ironically the idea that I was considering has already been posted by @Mr Badger ....... a much better result than I would have probably acheived(y)

What about a selfie for age lines on your face o_O:eek: put some B\W film in, take several shots, then put the camera and dev tank in a changing bag, then snip off the film, dev in a few hours and scan and post tonight..come on no excuses :jimlad:

What about a selfie for age lines on your face o_O:eek: put some B\W film in, take several shots, then put the camera and dev tank in a changing bag, then snip off the film, dev in a few hours and scan and post tonight..come on no excuses :jimlad:

It ain't gunna work Bri,

Firstly, my LF outfit won't fit in my changing bag:p:D

Secondly the longest cable release that I possess is approx. 12 inches long and neither cat is willing to operate the shutter :mad::D

And thirdly, most importantly .....I don't have an facial lines, thank you!:bat:.....I'm far too young!!:whistle::ROFLMAO:

Yeah, me too. I would rather the rules stayed as they are just to avoid confusion.

Personally, I'm not that bothered either way. I think it makes it more of a challenge if the shots can't be edited, but I suppose to keep in the spirit of it, sod it, why not eh!

I prefer not being able to change it means you really think about the shot you're puting up. On the other hand it just means no one submits till the deadline.

On the third hand I've not managed to enter this year so ignore me...

I'd leave it the same so that entries can't be changed once submitted. It forces people to make a decision which is sometimes needed :)

Well that's that sorted then, the rule stays :)

Last day for entries folks, anything submitted after midnight won't be accepted. A whopping 17 entries so far, so a very good month :)

I sent two rolls of Vista 200 that I used in the XA2 off to Filmdev earlier in the week, but I've not really got anything entry worthy in the results. I'm placing all my money firmly on the two rolls of Delta 100 I used in Dartmoor a couple of weeks ago. Fingers crossed I can get them developed and scanned in time :D

Going to get scanning this evening only one frame that will fit the brief, it's barely worth it but it's better than nowt.

Blimey, with a flurry of late activity this could reach the 20 mark... the voting section will be as long as the usual entries thread! I wonder what the odds are of 20 people all coming joint first with one vote each? :LOL:

Last edited:
@schpleep for future reference it doesn't have to be taken in the month of submission, just this year (I hope... mine was taken in January!)...

I guess we can all attempt an entry for runner up places with the April theme as poll position will very likely got to the "Master of Shadows" @simon ess:D (Most of us have seen his many, often very good "shadow" postings have we not?)

I think for @Andysnap to make any significant progress, we would have to have one of the themes changed................................................. to "Tides":exit::ROFLMAO:

As for me,to win. I'd need there to be only one entry every month.....Mine!!:LOL:

I guess we can all attempt an entry for runner up places with the April theme as poll position will very likely got to the "Master of Shadows" @simon ess:D (Most of us have seen his many, often very good "shadow" postings have we not?)

Thank you Asha, I appreciate the compliment.

There are, however, a couple of issues as far as I'm concerned.

First, I really don't like competitive photography. I'm trying to force myself to join in with this one in order to maybe break through my barriers. And this is a good, safe, friendly place to attempt that. But I am finding it stressful.

Second, as a result of the above, my decision making mechanism about what to enter is completely screwed.

Hey ho!

Last chance for voting today, the poll will close tomorrow morning and I'll get the results and new table up when I eventually get my arse out of bed :)

What a chump. Went out to llangollen motor museum for May and took the sony digital having mistaken it for the dynax! Fortunately I had the trip with me with half a roll so I'm hoping there is something on that.

Also went off to Erddig with the R7 to find out just how heavy it is to carry. It's a joy to use but it's soooooo heavy. One roll shot and I needed a lie down.

So, shadows obviously means shooting into the light sometimes. Would you be surprised to find two bits of differently coloured flare if shooting into the sun with a [Jessops] CPL?

So, shadows obviously means shooting into the light sometimes. Would you be surprised to find two bits of differently coloured flare if shooting into the sun with a [Jessops] CPL?

Nope :0) Light flares are pretty hard to estimate though. Also, shouldn't you be using a linear polariser with film rather than a circular one? (not that I actually own a linear polariser!)

Nope :0) Light flares are pretty hard to estimate though. Also, shouldn't you be using a linear polariser with film rather than a circular one? (not that I actually own a linear polariser!)

Well, three points worth making I suppose. First, I have no idea what a linear polariser actually is, second I don't own one (either), and third, I forgot there was a CPL on there when taking these pics!

Here's what it looks like, if I can make this work...

1704 CPL into light.jpg

That's Vista 400 in the LX, 35mm f/2 lens and CPL...

I thought it was a case that you could only use a circular polariser on auto-focus and digital cameras, but could use either a circular or linear polariser on manual focus film cameras? Perhaps someone who knows (or has more time than I do to Google the answer) could confirm or deny the above? :)

Last edited:
I thought it was a case that you could only use a circular polariser on auto-focus and digital cameras, but could use either a circular or linear polariser on manual focus film cameras? Perhaps someone who knows (or has more time than I do to Google the answer) could confirm or deny the above? :)

I used to use a CPL on my Spotmatic II with the Takumar 55mm f/1.8 and never had any problems.

Yeah, I probably should have clarified that I have always used CPLs on my film kit but have read somewhere about using linear on film.

With regards to your image Chris, it looks like you've been unlucky with the lens flare hitting the middle of the shot and affecting the colour balance in that area and near the top. Isn't that what B&W conversions are good for ;0)

Well, three points worth making I suppose. First, I have no idea what a linear polariser actually is, second I don't own one (either), and third, I forgot there was a CPL on there when taking these pics!

Here's what it looks like, if I can make this work...

View attachment 99707

That's Vista 400 in the LX, 35mm f/2 lens and CPL...

You could try cropping out the physical tree and having a square frame of the shadow only?

Yeah, I probably should have clarified that I have always used CPLs on my film kit but have read somewhere about using linear on film.

ISTR linear polarisers can't be used on some/most/all(?) auto-focus SLR film cameras, I recall having to buy CPs when I switched to auto focus SLRs. Can anyone confirm or expand on this?

Last edited:
With regards to your image Chris, it looks like you've been unlucky with the lens flare hitting the middle of the shot and affecting the colour balance in that area and near the top. Isn't that what B&W conversions are good for ;0)

Yes, this was a particularly bad example. Converting to black and white is a good idea. However, no-one has commented on whether the CPL itself has caused the different colours of flare.

I guess a CPL is always going to be a more likely cause of flare; it adds two optic elements and four surfaces after all. And this old Jessops branded one is probably not the finest bit of optics there is. I do get easily confused by the optics of polarised light, but noting those rainbow-like colour effects you get when light reflects at a low angle from a plastic ruler, for example, I could well believe that there would be colour effects on the flare at different angles.

Does anyone notice different colour effects in other kinds of flare?

(Sorry, perhaps I should have started another thread, not really trying to derail this one!)

Does anyone notice different colour effects in other kinds of flare?
Yes, I've seen it most recently with my Canon P using no filter and I believe the lens elements are uncoated. Of course, this question would come up shortly after I set out on a process of tidying up both my flickr and my hard drive and have removed all the older photos so I can't show you the shots I'm talking about. :rolleyes:

Right, sent off a couple of films to Filmdev, let's hope they get done in time AND there's some shadows on them!

The black and white film will likely contain half a roll of shots of trees, each one with me thinking "must be the last on the roll...". As once before, I had not spotted that the film counter did not fully reset when I put the film in. :(

Developing a single roll tonight, and essentially it's a case of there better be a shot on there, otherwise it's nothing from me this month :/

Back