• FishyFish

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
The theme for August is CLOSE UP AND MACRO.

Entries to be posted in this thread by 23:59 on Friday 31st August 2018. A poll will go up for seven days afterwards (results will be announced on Monday 10th Sept)

Entries must be SHOT ON FILM, and must be TAKEN ON OR AFTER THE 1ST DECEMBER 2017.

This thread is for entries only. The rules and themes can be found here, and the discussion thread for 2018 is here.

OK, I've not taken anything better since this one in February so here goes.

Mamiya C330f, Mamiya Sekor 55mm lens on Fomapan 100.
Pencils by Andy, on Flickr

Well done all, I thought that Fraser had a winner from the moment it went up, an excellent shot in all respects.(y)

Well done all, I thought that Fraser had a winner from the moment it went up, an excellent shot in all respects.(y)
Agree 100% great shot and well deserved winner, it was my first choice and pleased to see all my other faves in the top 4, well done all.

Thanks everyone for the compliments about the image. Very strong entry this month with several potential winners!

Extremely happy

Well done Fraser, it always looked like a winner, the timing and exposure is spot on. I have to say I did think @Mr Badger would do better, for me there's not much between his photo an mine

That is a great shot, Fraser, looked like a winner from the moment it went up. The timing was impeccable, no idea how you did it! Is that Rolleiflex the flappy mirror kind?

That is a great shot, Fraser, looked like a winner from the moment it went up. The timing was impeccable, no idea how you did it! Is that Rolleiflex the flappy mirror kind?

Thanks Chris :)

This is the 'rollback' of the shot.

IMG_20180805_183535
by Fraser Euan White on Talk Photography

Lighting was provided by the Metz flashgun & the camera had bellows + the standard 80mm lens fitted. I lit the match using a lighter then fired the shutter as the phosphorous bit was burning. The Rolleiflex is their 6 x 6 SLR model which is my favourite camera at the moment - it's great fun to use and I love the Planar lens. I used the mirror lock feature for this picture to keep vibrations down as the mirror is quite large in the camera (Remote with mirror lock & shutter release can be seen in the photo). The leaf shutter synchronises with flash at all shutter speeds up to 1/1000s!

The metering was the hardest bit to 'learn'. The camera has a TTL flash metering function that when I initially used the exposures were all over the place so I did some research. With Macro photography using the bellows someone suggested using the spot metering function the camera has with the TTL flash and this worked very well :)

I used a relatively slow shutter speed that enabled 'the swirl' of the flame to be captured as the ignition took place but the actual shape of the flame was pure luck and this was the nicest shape IMO out of the roll of film I took.

s-l1600 (1) by Fraser White, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back