FILM Photographer of the Year 2018 - Discussion

@Carl Hall A late lunch today? :whistle: Teasing aside, hope all is well?

Ahh balls, I knew I forgot something :LOL:

I didn't get a chance to do it before I left work, for some reason my boss didn't share my "winding down for holiday" work attitude and gave me an "urgent" job to do before I left. How cheeky!

I'll get the points up asap but the updated table will have to wait until I get back the Monday after next. Sorry folks!

Pretty sure I know what the points are for equal thirteenth! :(

Ahh balls, I knew I forgot something :LOL:

I didn't get a chance to do it before I left work, for some reason my boss didn't share my "winding down for holiday" work attitude and gave me an "urgent" job to do before I left. How cheeky!

I'll get the points up asap but the updated table will have to wait until I get back the Monday after next. Sorry folks!
No problem, thought I'd better give you a prod though as it's a bit of a nuisance if you remember on your own accord at an inconvenient moment (like just after you've climbed into bed for a good night's kip!). Anyway, forget about the league table until you're back home and fully rested after the F&C escapade, I'm sure if someone is that desperate they can work things out themselves. (y)

Drat, drat drat drat. Back opened on my om2 with the double x from Onich. Not sure how much is lost but I let the youngest have a shot since the film was finished. Don't think it was her fault I think the clasp is on its way out so a bit of rough handling was all it took.

Anyway. Had shots in the can for this month and December, definitely lost this months it was one of the last on the roll.

Drat, drat drat drat. Back opened on my om2 with the double x from Onich. Not sure how much is lost but I let the youngest have a shot since the film was finished. Don't think it was her fault I think the clasp is on its way out so a bit of rough handling was all it took.

Anyway. Had shots in the can for this month and December, definitely lost this months it was one of the last on the roll.

That's REALLY bad luck Steven, sorry to hear that.

Yikes. Hope you can salvage something from it.

That was your first try with that film as well, if I remember? :crying:

Well it's kind of a good news bad news. My street shots are blasted but most of the rest of the roll is fine including the ones from Onich. Whether that's good or bad probably depends on ones perspective.

Went up for a mooch around the reservoirs in the pentlands for December's shot but they're not virtually bone dry!

Hypothetical question! ;)

You can obviously join 2 or 3 photos together in Photoshop to create a panorama and submit that as an entry in a suitable category.

What about joining 2 or more photos together to create a diptych, triptych or montage?

I'd be interested to see opinions from anyone about this :)

Hypothetical question! ;)

You can obviously join 2 or 3 photos together in Photoshop to create a panorama and submit that as an entry in a suitable category.

What about joining 2 or more photos together to create a diptych, triptych or montage?

I'd be interested to see opinions from anyone about this :)

I entered a tryptic in to the poty a few years ago so seems reasonable to me.

Maybe we could have a diptych or triptych month.

I've just posted a tail of woe over in another thread (FPOTY related) but in case any of you knowledgeable and helpful folk only follow this thread I thought I'd link to it from here because I'm guessing it's a bit time-critical so any thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated!

HELP!!!!! Wet 35mm colour film, can it be saved

I entered a tryptic in to the poty a few years ago so seems reasonable to me.

Maybe we could have a diptych or triptych month.

My question stems from a chat I had with Andy a few days ago and your responses seem to echo what we talked about. Is it seen as a legitimate post processing technique for any FPOTY entry or should it be a theme in it's own right?

There's nothing in the current rules against submitting an image made up of more than one photo but nothing supporting it either!

I think it's all down to acting within 'the spirit' of the contest. Anything too photoshopped/lightroomed/darkroomed to significantly add or subtract parts of the image is probably a step too far in my view. A composite or montage of photos should really go in a specific category for this, not be added as a 'standard' photo.

I think, with the exception of fairly minor adjustments, such as tweaking brightness, darkness, contrast, sharpness and/or colour balance and saturation (which were all pretty much standard film printing process techniques back in the day) anything else is not really in the spirit of the competition. After all, it's Film Photographer of the Year, not Photoshop/Lightroom Artist/Technician of the Year.

Last edited:
The think about a diptych or triptych etc is that the photos have to complement one another to tell parts of the same story; one of those "whole is greater than the parts" things. (Not sure if I said here, but my daughter in law has put up a set of 4 beach images which when you look at them, you realise it's about our son surfing. None of them is special on its own; in fact they might well seem a bit unbalanced. But the set is really excellent, and I'm drawn to it every time.)

OTOH if it's presented as a single image, you've still got that 1024 pixel limitation to consider. So it's a bit hmmm to me.

On the whole, I think presenting a set of images rather than just one is definitely a push for me as a photographer, and definitely part of being a better (film) photographer. I'd welcome a month where it was the theme (or part of a theme). But it might be hard to judge against single images in other months.

I think it's all down to acting within 'the spirit' of the contest. Anything too photoshopped/lightroomed/darkroomed to significantly add or subtract parts of the image is probably a step too far in my view. A composite or montage of photos should really go in a specific category for this, not be added as a 'standard' photo.

On the whole, I think presenting a set of images rather than just one is definitely a push for me as a photographer, and definitely part of being a better (film) photographer. I'd welcome a month where it was the theme (or part of a theme). But it might be hard to judge against single images in other months.

I can certainly understand the 'acting within the spirit of the contest' view with regards to diptych / triptych etc. I decided to ask because I've been looking at the current rules and noticed that they're not covered. I have a general assumption that nobody would bat an eyelid if a panorama was entered but wondered whether people would feel differently about a composite image.

I'm going to add Diptych / Triptych as a potential theme for next years FPOTY as per Nick's suggestion and may look at updating the rules to exclude them in other months.

Panorama's are fine in general IMO, even though they might be more than one photo stitched together, they're going to be the same "shot" from the same location (unless it's something arty with one half of the scene in summetime and the other in wintertime or something). Whereas a diptych / triptych etc. can be completely different shots, possibly taken at different times in different locations.

I think your suggestion of having it as a specific theme is a fair idea though. Panorama could also work as a seperate theme too (but without having to discount panoramic shots from other month's topics).

Panorama could also work as a seperate theme too (but without having to discount panoramic shots from other month's topics).
Might this be difficult to distinguish from a 'letterbox style' crop from something like a 120 6x9 shot? Also, I think we'd need to make sure everyone was happy with a stitched panorama as a theme before we voted for it though, as some people aren't as savvy with image manipulation software and it would be a shame for them to feel excluded.

Might this be difficult to distinguish from a 'letterbox style' crop from something like a 120 6x9 shot? Also, I think we'd need to make sure everyone was happy with a stitched panorama as a theme before we voted for it though, as some people aren't as savvy with image manipulation software and it would be a shame for them to feel excluded.

A crop would be fine as a panorama in my view. To me it would be more a case of the photo working in a panoramic aspect format, rather than the means used to create it.

Last edited:
Panorama's are fine in general IMO, even though they might be more than one photo stitched together, they're going to be the same "shot" from the same location (unless it's something arty with one half of the scene in summetime and the other in wintertime or something). Whereas a diptych / triptych etc. can be completely different shots, possibly taken at different times in different locations.

I think your suggestion of having it as a specific theme is a fair idea though. Panorama could also work as a seperate theme too (but without having to discount panoramic shots from other month's topics).

I agree, part of the skill with a dip/trip is getting photos which complement/contrast each other but hang together as a set, its more of a micro-portfolio.

Gosh - it's all getting a bit complex with this dip/trip that I didn't even know what it was! Stitching photos/panoramas etc. Obviously the majority view matters but it's sounding way to much already for me :-( I have a simple brain and if it takes much more than a crop then I'm stuck TBH.

Gosh - it's all getting a bit complex with this dip/trip that I didn't even know what it was! Stitching photos/panoramas etc. Obviously the majority view matters but it's sounding way to much already for me :-( I have a simple brain and if it takes much more than a crop then I'm stuck TBH.
I think you're probably doing yourself a disservice there. :)

I was only aware of them because there was a diptych ''New Old Film Challenge" sometime last year I think. Gawd knows why they popped in my head whilst looking at this year's rules though. My mind works in mysterious ways! :thinking:

Back