FILM Photographer of the Year 2019 - Discussion

Hope things improve for you...... for me and guys that know me have noticed I can't get far going up inclines etc without getting out of breath, so no point going on meets with lovely scenery and hills. Well tomorrow I'm going in hospital and they are hopefully going to open up arteries in my heart...fascinating stuff these days as they put a probe in your arm and send it to your heart to see and expand arteries...erm all while you are awake o_O:eek: and if you are seen early can go home in the evening. (y)
Anyone interested in what they can do, it is called angioplasty and remember guys to look out for early symptoms of heart problems and don't confuse it with indigestion or pains in arms or back or chest bone etc......thinking you've pulled a muscle.

Good lord, I shall keep my fingers firmly crossed for you Brian.

fascinating stuff these days as they put a probe in your arm and send it to your heart to see and expand arteries...erm all while you are awake o_O:eek: and if you are seen early can go home in the evening. (y)

It is absolutely fascinating - I had it done to repair damage caused by complications after pneumonia (caused pericarditis, inflamation of the "bag" around the heart that stops it rubbing on your ribs etc - well, if it gets inflamed the BAG rubs on the heart, and it damaged one of the arteries... 6 months on, the artery is basically almost blocked and I wake up in the middle of the night basically dying...) Long story short, angioplasty, stents, fixed the blockage, walked out of the hospital the next day and i've been fine.

But the actual procedure, lying on the slab watching a mahoosive TV screen with a x-ray video of your heart, and the bits of tubing probes worming their way around the artieries (in my case all the way up from my groin... it would have been MUCH less hassle from the wrist but the size of the stents and the "rotary ablation tool" (think the thing dyno-rod use to unblock drains - a big spinny thing powered by compressed air.... whizzing around in your major arteries) precluded going in by the smaller access in the wrist.

Fascinating, inject marker dye into the bloodstream, artery blacks out so they can see it - highlighted blockage - artery looked like manchester ship canal on screen - narrowing to the Huddersfield Narrow for around 3cm then back to manchester ship canal. In actual terms it was more like 8mm, down to under 1.5mm (because the 1.5mm probe wouldn't go through the gap!) then back to 8mm. So, 4 drill heads, progressively larger until it was clear, then the stents fitting. Little balloon on end of probe, carries stent into place, then "ok Mark, brace yourself, and if I say Cough, then Cough as hard as you can, because it'll start your heart back up without having to hit you with the Defib..." Saw the little balloon start to swell into the Hindenburg, it all went a little dark, "COUGH", lights came back on... "Once more", Hindenburgh time, Cough, Dark, COUGH, lights back on. "right, we'll give you a bit of a rest for 5 while we fit the next stent".... Apparently, as the blockage was on a "corner" of my heart (who knew it had corners - maybe it IS a swinging brick like my Ex always said) they had to fit 2 stents, one "nested" into the other on the bend, so there was double the metal to hold the artery open over the corner.

Yeah, it's fascinating to watch - provided you can keep enough detachment not to be s***ting yourself that someone is playing dyno-rod with the one bit of you that HAS to keep working if you're gonna keep from pushing up daisies.

That was a Respect "like" Mark, rather than a like "like". (y)

You're a brave man... Hope all goes well and that your recovery is swift.

Indeed you have to be brave to eat hospital food o_O But other than visiting it's the first for me going into hospital for something.

It is absolutely fascinating - I had it done to repair damage caused by complications after pneumonia (caused pericarditis, inflamation of the "bag" around the heart that stops it rubbing on your ribs etc - well, if it gets inflamed the BAG rubs on the heart, and it damaged one of the arteries... 6 months on, the artery is basically almost blocked and I wake up in the middle of the night basically dying...) Long story short, angioplasty, stents, fixed the blockage, walked out of the hospital the next day and i've been fine.

But the actual procedure, lying on the slab watching a mahoosive TV screen with a x-ray video of your heart, and the bits of tubing probes worming their way around the artieries (in my case all the way up from my groin... it would have been MUCH less hassle from the wrist but the size of the stents and the "rotary ablation tool" (think the thing dyno-rod use to unblock drains - a big spinny thing powered by compressed air.... whizzing around in your major arteries) precluded going in by the smaller access in the wrist.

Fascinating, inject marker dye into the bloodstream, artery blacks out so they can see it - highlighted blockage - artery looked like manchester ship canal on screen - narrowing to the Huddersfield Narrow for around 3cm then back to manchester ship canal. In actual terms it was more like 8mm, down to under 1.5mm (because the 1.5mm probe wouldn't go through the gap!) then back to 8mm. So, 4 drill heads, progressively larger until it was clear, then the stents fitting. Little balloon on end of probe, carries stent into place, then "ok Mark, brace yourself, and if I say Cough, then Cough as hard as you can, because it'll start your heart back up without having to hit you with the Defib..." Saw the little balloon start to swell into the Hindenburg, it all went a little dark, "COUGH", lights came back on... "Once more", Hindenburgh time, Cough, Dark, COUGH, lights back on. "right, we'll give you a bit of a rest for 5 while we fit the next stent".... Apparently, as the blockage was on a "corner" of my heart (who knew it had corners - maybe it IS a swinging brick like my Ex always said) they had to fit 2 stents, one "nested" into the other on the bend, so there was double the metal to hold the artery open over the corner.

Yeah, it's fascinating to watch - provided you can keep enough detachment not to be s***ting yourself that someone is playing dyno-rod with the one bit of you that HAS to keep working if you're gonna keep from pushing up daisies.

erm well thanks for scaring me :D but pleased you are OK.......I was hoping they would put me out so I can sleep through it all.

erm well thanks for scaring me :D but pleased you are OK.......I was hoping they would put me out so I can sleep through it all.
Yeah I’d want to be sleeping through anything like that too.

They explained it to me this way "If you CAN, you're better doing this awake, because you can tell us if anything hurts, or if we're causing you distress, and we can give you a break - we don't want to stress you in any way, considering what can happen if you're under stress" - I must admit, I did ask if there was anything they could give me to keep me calm during the process, and I dunno what they injected into the drip in my arm, but frankly if they'd have said they needed to go "open chest" i'd have just said "crack on"...

That said, to be honest the only place where it hurt was when they were opening the artery in my groin and getting the probes in and out of there - strange that I didn't feel a thing apart from a little tightness in my chest at the Hindenburg moments, but I was in bleeding agony when they were trying to suture up the artery after withdrawing the probes post procedure.

A day afterwards, and I looked like i'd stopped a cannonball with my groin, could hardly move my hip because of the bruising from the arterial clamps they'd ended up using rather than sewing me up, but the important bit felt like a million dollars.

In fact, the moment they pulled the Hindenburg and all the other probe wires out of my heart, I got the most enormous rush as the blood flow in my heart went back to what it had been 6 months earlier, before it'd gradually silted up. I'm not ashamed to say I lay there on the slab and cried like a baby at how flaming marvellous it felt!

I'm back to bore you with my photos and stories.....and for the older folks who might need angioplasty in future and just my experience:- they inserted the gadget in the wrist artery and you don't feel a thing until they have do some work on an artery...well you know you see actors on tv gripping their chest having a heart attack, it's because of the pain and I had that :eek:.
Anyway I have to take it easy for a week then hopefully it will be a lot easier walking\cycling up hills (y)

I'm back to bore you with my photos and stories.....and for the older folks who might need angioplasty in future and just my experience:- they inserted the gadget in the wrist artery and you don't feel a thing until they have do some work on an artery...well you know you see actors on tv gripping their chest having a heart attack, it's because of the pain and I had that :eek:.
Anyway I have to take it easy for a week then hopefully it will be a lot easier walking\cycling up hills (y)

Glad it went well Brian. You'll get round the booties in double quick time now!

Great news Brian, and a very helpful description of the experience for anyone who might have to face it in the future. (y)

Well, I may have been out of the game a while... My fixer had something floating in it. I can't quite work out if it's the inside of the black bottle it lived in or silver come out of solution!

Well, I may have been out of the game a while... My fixer had something floating in it. I can't quite work out if it's the inside of the black bottle it lived in or silver come out of solution!
I had something like that, the solution (!) was to get new fixer. Camerabase in Morningside should have some in stock.

I had something like that, the solution (!) was to get new fixer. Camerabase in Morningside should have some in stock.
Thankfully I remembered I had half a bottle of concentrate under the sink hidden there when we moved!

Great news Brian, glad it went well

Managed to get one this time, and one I'm fairly happy with for a change.
As an aside, things are improving... not back at work yet, but it wont be long, and I've been moved to a different department that should be less stressful.

Same thing happened to me a few years ago, I was off work for 5 months but when I went back they moved me to a different area and I was fine.....(y)

Thought I'd nailed this month's weather shot as two places I've visited in the past for flooding...but o_O weren't flooded ...h'mm and with all the rain we have had recently. :confused: :(
Anyway the cycle ride to these places gave me some exercise (y)

Good news! Someone has volunteered to organise and run FPOTY 2020 :)

Rather than just announce who it is straight away, I'm going to give them a bit of time to formulate their plans and then leap out of the closet when they're ready (or possibly change their mind!) :LOL:

Good news! Someone has volunteered to organise and run FPOTY 2020 :)

Rather than just announce who it is straight away, I'm going to give them a bit of time to formulate their plans and then leap out of the closet when they're ready (or possibly change their mind!) :LOL:
Excellent news Janet. (y)

Background to my October entry is:
The 70m towers of the Kessock Bridge appearing above the sea fog on a windless morning last week, with Ord Hill centre stage and Ben Wyvis beyond. It was freezing under the blanket of fog, and windscreens were being scraped for the first time this autumn, but above the fog it was surprisingly mild in the warm sun. This fog is not unusual for these conditions, but was bad enough that day to stop planes taking off or landing at Inverness Airport for much of the morning, so they were circling overhead.

I'm really struggling for next month, short of getting the cats in front of a motor drive 35mm and hoping they do something interesting in the few seconds it takes to burn 36 exposures, i've got nothing.

I'm really struggling for next month, short of getting the cats in front of a motor drive 35mm and hoping they do something interesting in the few seconds it takes to burn 36 exposures, i've got nothing.
And you with an avatar like that? (and a zoo on your doorstep!) :eek: Hopefully you'll get some time to get out and about in the next 5 weeks or so. (y)

Nowhere does it say that it has to be a live animal! Isn't Edinburgh littered with statues of wee dug's and chaps on horses? Maybe I should pay a visit to Llangollen:

Llangollen1 by Janet, on Flickr

Well anyone stuck for seeing animals should cycle (or walk) on public footpath across farmer's fields etc....erm some signs say no cycles but there is no one around to stop me. (y)
But I suppose if living in a city that choice is out.

Back